Which washing machine do you have?

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice please Smiley Happy

I need to get a washing machine for the first time in about 12/13 years that will last well, have been using Bosch ones which used to be a good make, although I read that they are not so good now that they are made by the same company that makes Zanussi and AEG. I am also aware that in general machines are not made to last in the way they used to.

I would ideally like a Miele but that is not likely, so something more affordable. I do not want a washer dryer, I do not need lots of special features, or a buzzer that goes off at the end of the wash. I just want a reliable, basic machine, a larger capacity would be good (duvets).

So, if you could take a few minutes I would be grateful.

If you have a fairly recently purchased washing machine, are you happy with it? 

Which one do you have?

How long have you had it?

Has it needed a repair?

Does it have a large capacity?

Is it basic or super duper?

Did you buy it online or from a store?

Do you have any 'Avoid at all costs' stories?

Thank you for reading and hopefully replying

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanual Kant
Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

I have a very good washing machine - it's called a wifeSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 27
See Most Recent

Mines a Whirlpool one,,,its been going over ten years and i have had no problem with it. I only had a flood in the kitchen but that was to do with sink drainage not the machine!!!!. I keep expecting it to not turn on every time i use it and for it to conck out on me but NO!!!!.Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 27
See Most Recent

Thanks Rose Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 27
See Most Recent

Hope you get a good one hun,,,there are some nice ones around now.Woman Happy

Message 5 of 27
See Most Recent

I am expecting to have to choose a new one in the near future. Mine is a cheapy from B&Q that we bought 14 years ago with the kitchen. It's still chugging away at the moment though. As I am on my own it only gets used a couple of times a week at most.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 27
See Most Recent

I'm on my 3rd Indesit, very pleased with it. Also had a Hoover washer, that lasted for 12 years, was very good.

Message 7 of 27
See Most Recent

Hotpoint Futura 8kg Drum with a 1500rpm spin speed. 2 Years old. Moderate use with 3 or 4 washes per week.

It has an A+++ energy rating. 30 minute quick wash if you need it. Loads of other programmes but I only use 3 or 4 on a regular basis. I find it very easy to use.

My last one was a Hotpoint that lasted 12 years without any maintenance costs. It was still running but starting to become noisy especially on a fast spin so I decided to go for a new one.

The new one is more energy efficient and very quiet compared to the old one even on a fast spin.

If you have a good idea of what you are looking for you could go online and read the reviews of the customers that have bought and used the models that you have selected.

Genesis 1.31 NIV The sixth day.
Message 8 of 27
See Most Recent

We've had a Hoover washer/drier for about 13 years now and we've had to have someone out to it once about five or six years ago.  It's a been a good washing machine.

Message 9 of 27
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone, I don't have a wife so need a washing machine Frederick (I am a wife you see, and find that husbands don't have a clue about laundry Man Tongue)

You all seem to have been fortunate with your choices. I have had failures with Hotpoint, the machine was being repaired more that it was in use, never again.

Hoover, not great, ended up giving it away, it worked but was a pain with having to press buttons for each thing.

Whirlpool, absolutely useless, not just the washing machines either, had several, fortunately not mine personally but I go to know the engineer really well, he almost moved in he was there so often.

Indesit, not good for family use, or at least the family that rented the house from us and had a brand new one when they moved in, it worked for about 6 months after they left so we took it to the dump and used our old Bosch that was stored in the garage. A great machine, as was the one in the place we were living in before this one, but sadly it has given up on us now.

Any more suggestions or experiences are welcome because I still have to find a new one and they are so different to when we bought the last (good) one around 2001 that I don't know what is good. 

Anyone have one that doesn't have a sealed drum? 

Message 10 of 27
See Most Recent

Well I had a whirlpool and an Indesit and they were good but the 2 more expensive models were rubbish.  Went in shop for a new one before Xmas and the man offered all sorts so I pointed to the cheapest and asked , does it pre wash, does it wash in under an hour, has it got any fancy programmes.  Yes, yes, no - it'll do at nearly half the price of known brands.  never had one last over 5 years yet but they do get used(and until now they've been washer/dryers which is why we've had so much rain - all my fault) a lot.

Message 11 of 27
See Most Recent

Hotpoint Aquarius, had it for 10 years and touch wood, fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder, it hasn't gone wrong yet, ideal for up to a double duvet but not a kingsize winter one, will take a 4.5 though at a push. I regularly run it through with a 99p washing machine cleaner and have given up on powder as it makes the innards all scummy.

Message 12 of 27
See Most Recent

Hi mou, have to say my personal experiences are much the same as yours, tried everything with varying results before switching to Miele around 15yrs ago and now wouldn't buy any other brand of washing m/c or tumble dryer.

Only changed the last ones because I need integrated for new kitchen.

Try googling Miele graded appliances or factory outlets, most in SE appear to be in Banbury/Oxford area, but they will deliver. Most have some cosmectic damage(often nothing more than small scratch on the side), they also stock recently discontinued models, all carry full guarantee, and discount of up to 50% makes them not much more expensive than other brands.

Came across this article when I looked just now, 18mths old but doubt anything has changed. German appliance have topped the Which charts for many many years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/german-company-miele-dominates-which-survey-on-britai...

Message 13 of 27
See Most Recent

The man that came to declare ours deceased, when I asked him, said to look on the inside of the door and see if it is German made Robot wink He siad most of them are made in Italy and Spain.

I have been reading reviews most of the day and am still thinking I want a German made one, Bosch is made in the same factory as a couple of others (not German)  and although not as good as they were when we got ours, still look fairly good, but I will look at the outlets for the Meile, thank you for that, I don't mind a scratch or dent, working order is the important thing.

Have been looking at the John Lewis own brand but they seem to be made in different places and rebranded so can't find out what they actually are, although some say Electrolux. I was all set to get one until I saw that.

Message 14 of 27
See Most Recent

My current machine is a Zanussi and it does fine.  Had it more than 5 years

Photobucket
Message 15 of 27
See Most Recent

I had a Zanussi fridge freezer which lasted about 23 years, I wish I had it repaired and kept it, much better than the rubbish we have now (Bosch fridge, freezer too but that is OK)

Am leaning towards another Bosch washing machine though, reviews are good..........

Message 16 of 27
See Most Recent

A broken one... and I'm blaming you cos it was working fine till you started this thread!

Message 17 of 27
See Most Recent

Smiley Indifferent Smiley FrustratedSmiley Sad

At least you know what everyone else has now though Smiley LOL 

Message 18 of 27
See Most Recent

Mine's a Bosch Maxx, very basic no frills model, and I'm very pleased with it.  We only use thin summer-weight duvets though, so can't say whether it would take a more bulky one.

Message 19 of 27
See Most Recent

We have decided on another Bosch, one with an 8k capacity so I can get a bigger wash in. We also use summer weight duvets and I managed to get them in the Bosch at the last house but not in the one we have that just died, so many models it is confusing.

None of them seem to be that basic any more and there are far too many to choose from.

Message 20 of 27
See Most Recent