Poorly Cat

Have had a nightmare few days, my cat - Coco - went missing and after hours and literally miles of searching we managed to find her late last night cowering in a burned out derelict cottage about a mile away from home. She was terrified and fought hard when I tried to pick her up to bring her home. Anyway, got her home and gave her food and water and she seemed to settle down so we went to bed for a few hours. This morning she was constantly in her dirt tray but seemed to be producing nothing and was in obvious discomfort so I rang the vet and took her straight down to the surgery. She has been in all day having x-rays and blood tests which have come back clear, but they believe that she had not toiletted in the two days she was missing and has clogged up. She has been prescribed a laxative which I am struggling to get down her because she is still very dozy and wobbly from the sedation, and I can't get her to eat or drink anything at all. So far it has all cost me just over £160 which although I can't really afford it I don't mind and have managed to pay it, but she still seems to be so poorly.

I know there is nothing any of you can do, just wanted to get it all off my chest really, will post again if there is any news.

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Poorly Cat

Sorry to hear about your poor cat.  Hope that she's soon on the mend.

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

thank you just wish I knew what has happened to her while she has been missing.

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Awww poor cat, hope she is on the mend soon; I know only too well how these vets bills soon mount up, but we always manage to find the money, even if it means going without ourselves. Please keep us updated. Wishing her well. xx

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

aawww poor **bleep**, she must have been really upset sat in that burned out building. I'm sure she'll be better when she's had a clearout!

give her a wee cuddle off me won't you? xx

Photobucket

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Aww poor puddy cat  i hope she settles down noe shes home , give her a chin tickle pleaset1041.gif

Poorly Cat

You'll never know what happened to your cat & it's best not to dwell on it,she's home now & once she's been to the loo & realises she is home & safe she will start to return to her old self just give her time!

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

@myraandjim wrote:

She has been prescribed a laxative which I am struggling to get down her because she is still very dozy and wobbly from the sedation, and I can't get her to eat or drink anything at all. So far it has all cost me just over £160 which although I can't really afford it I don't mind and have managed to pay it, but she still seems to be so poorly.

Try giving her wet food, mashed up and with some hot water added (not dry food wetted). If she eats that, put the laxative in a small bit of it and give it to her - she will probably eat it without noticing.  (I'm assuming it's lactulose you've been given - if it's that it's too sticky to give on its own anyway.)
If she doesn't start eating  and drinking soon you will have to take her back to the vet because she will get very dehydrated.
Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Hiya, sorry to hear about your little cat, poor little one.

It's possible she's been hit by a car and her back end is bruised, hence her finding it

painful or impossible to toilet.  Keep her warm and inside, using a litter tray so you'll know

whether she goes or not, if she has bruising it will ease in a couple of days.  If it's anything

worse the x-ray and vet investigation should have picked it up, but if in doubt do take her back.

Whatever happened obviously frightened her, bless her, but at least you've found her and

she's safe.

Hopefully she'll soon be calmer and begin to feel better.  I do hope so.

Hugs,

Fishy

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Sorry to hear about poor Coco, I am sure once she feels safely at home she will settle down, at least you did the right thing and took her to the vets and if they couldn't find anything, she was probably scared poor mite,  Keep us updated as we are all softies on here and love our animals (and other peoples)

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Sorry to hear about Coco, hope she is feeling better today

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Ohhh i hope Coco gets better soon. Its so upsetting when they get sick. Luckily mines only had one bout of illness and sh had a poorly tummy but after an injection and a day fast asleep she was fine.  Just watch out what you feed her,nothing too sickly,,plain white fish mashed up or something it might tempt her.

Keep us informed about how she is. Awww.heart

Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

I didn't know you had a puss Rose...what's she like?

how is she today then?

I remember Himself got a nasty wound on his head fighting once, it was horrible, looked like his brains were coming out. He slept for two full days, let OH hand feed him (he who didn't want a pet!!) and then he seemed better. ooooh that was a horrible wound.

Photobucket

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Thank you all for your good wishes. We rushed her back to the vet during the night (emergency service) as we were struggling to wake her, turns out the sedation for the xrays was too much! Today she has managed to get to her feet for a couple of minutes, I am syringing liquid into her mouth and she had a teaspoon of salmon earlier, she has also had an enema last night but still produced nothing, not even a wee. Vet said if nothing by Monday to go back, but will go back tomorrow I think as Monday is a long time away. We are keeping her in and she is sleeping with us so she is never alone and purred today once when having a cuddle. Her xray showed no injuries although there was still doubt about her bowel, it showed that she is really bunged up so until she moves it they can't see too much. One of the dogs is impossible to insure so he has his own bank account instead, and he kindly agreed to lend the money for the cat's bills - thank you Samson, much appreciated!

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Awww bless her that she managed a little purr for you, that's encouraging and shows she is probably feeling a tiny bit better, Poor Coco, hope she can go to the toilet soon, then the vets might get a better idea of what is going on. Thinking of you, xx

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Was just wondering how Coco is this morning, fingers crossed

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Awww Bless her little heart!!!,,,hope she is maybe a little better soon.heart

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Had to take Coco back in to the vet this morning, she has had a bowel wash out to relieve the pressure and more blood tests as she is not rallying really. She is home again now and her tummy seems more comfortable although she is still not eating or drinking. They have discovered something in her blood which I didn't really take in when the vet was telling me, but she said a lot of cats have it with no problem but trauma can cause it to become active, if she doesn't perk up by Monday she will start a course of antibiotics. She's not moving about much but purring like crazy when we fuss her. Have a salmon fillet on cooking for her so maybe that will tempt her. Thanks so much for all the support, it really does help.

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

Aww bless her; hope the salmon fillet does tempt her to eat, then you will be able to give her some little and often. At least she is purring more now. Please keep us updated. ((((Coco)))):heart:

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

Poorly Cat

oh poor Coco, I do hope she improves shortly, isnt' it a lovely sound a **bleep** purr. I wonder if she ate something when she went missing and there were bones in it....meeces etc.

Please keep in touch, we are all worriers on here you know when it comes to pets..kitten smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent