Online auctions - what's it all about?

I was about to go into ebay - usual format, when out of curiosity I opened up a page displaying online auctions.  One of the items being auctions was a brand new Cannon Camera with a maximum bid of just under £30.00 but immediately above it were the words "1200 bids remaining."  Why so cheap, and what's the catch?  Do you have to buy bids or something?  There seemed to be very little information on how the system works.  What is the cost of a bid?  And if you're outbid, do you get your bidding power back, or is that it?  I certainly wouldn't use it, because I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing.  You have to register and the advert tells you you'll get so many points free.  Why are all the items new?  Nothing like a conventional ebay auction - I think I'll stear clear of it.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

That is probably nothing to do with ebay at all.  Just an advert that popped up on the site.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

fred stay well clear, most of those alternative auctions sites are scandalous... I could send a link but not sure if its allowed.  It  blocks out sites you frequent from ads popping up when you have looked or taken an interest in a particular item.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you.  It's an old cliche, but if something looks too good to be true, accompanied by a load of hype and hard sell, it usually is.  I think I'll stick to what I know - and the crowd I know too Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

fred pm

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent