It Ain't Half Hot Mum

mouse4702
Conversationalist

I got the DVD box set for Christmas from my sister.  It's not hilarious but there are some great scenes.  I never really enjoyed it at the time - it was a bit silly even then - but despite having some jokes which are trotted out each episode (eg Rangi telling the punkah wallah "do not be such clever dicky"), it's got a blinding turn from Windsor Davies; he overacts everyone else off the screen.  Should I feel guilty becuase it's so non-PC a subject matter?  The punkah wallah does get kicked up the bum in every episode....

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

It Ain't Half Hot Mum

The punkah wallah Stared in last of the summer wine

Petal
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

It Ain't Half Hot Mum

The guy who is the punkah wallah was actually born in India, and spoke Hindi fluently - fact of the day 🙂  I haven't seen it since it was first on (as it's not repeated for being un PC) but I always associate it with my late grandparents, as I used to watch it with them.  I was tempted by the box sset myself, but thought it might end up spoiling a happy memory...

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Hef, if you can get it for a good price, do it, and let the memories come.  For me at least, it's acquired a sort of golden patina, like early Dad's Army, which was uncool in the 80s but is now appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent