Ideas for packed lunches please.

OH is working in the south of the county for the next few weeks, so leaves home at about 6am and doesn't get back until about 7pm, so needs something filling but not fattening, if I don't do anything he will buy pasties and chocolate.

The last 2 days he has had, cold pasta spirals, with peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and sweetcorn, with some cold chicken.

and a spicey cous cous with veg, he said the cous cous was lovely but made a heck of a mess in his van, so he doesn't want that again

He has a cool bag and ice block, but I do worry about packing meat things.

Any ideas will be welcome, because I know him and what was lovely one day will be  "do I have to have that again" the next.

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

I take a small tub of creamy coleslaw and add to it tinned sweetcorn, cooked frozen peas, diced raw mushroon, diced raw courgette, grated cheese and a spoonful of thick greek yoghurt to bind it together. You can add almost anything to it depending on what you like.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

That sounds good,

Keep 'em coming I have at least 12 more to do.

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

If he likes butties but wants a change Mr S loves stuffed mini cob rolls , scoop out all the doughy innards and pack with what you fancy ,chill in the fridge overnight and hey presto.

My personal fav is mozerella ,tomato and green pesto while his is bacon ,sausage and tomato

Loads of recipes for fillings online

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

Hi OP,

Tortilla wraps with various fillings - ham & coleslaw or egg mayonnaise or cheese/red onion or chicken tikka slices with cucumber raita.

Your idea of pasta salad, rice salad etc is good - perhaps put it with something substantial like chicken drumsticks, slices of ham or feta / goats cheese?

Slices of quiche with various salads? Potato salad is good for filling a tummy 🙂

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

Tuna is nice instead of cold chicken with pasta.

Make a fritata (thick omlette) with cold new potaoes cooked, diced onion, sweetcorn, corned beef or tuna plus anything else you like, baked in the oven in a quiche dish, lovely hot or cold and no pastry.

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

dairyview123 - that sounds lovely, will try that....
Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

What about some thick homemade soup in a thermos

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

Loads of lovely ides thank you,  I haven't had to do packing for years so I just went blank when thinking of what to do,  OH doesn't like Eggs or tuna because they pong when you open the box.

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

STAN3502 idea of soup is good...I'm one of these people that will eat soup all year round at work. Covent garden chilled soups have loads of summer recipes at the moment that are lighter...still great with a couple wholemeal baps 🙂
Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

I have not had them but what about Bagels??. With assorted fillings.

And Yes wraps are nice with chicken and salad.

You can buy packs of soup with pasta added that you can make up. They do different things . Their like cuppa ones but you could make up in a flask. With noodles,,pasta Woman Happy

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

Found some ideas online

1. Ploughman's lunchbox Cut a chunk of cheddar and 1 apple into wedges (squeeze over some lemon juice to stop them going brown). Place 2 Baby Gem leaves in a container, then spoon 2 tbsp chutney into one leaf and use the other leaf to hold a salad made of 1 small grated carrot, 3 cherry tomatoes and 1 tbsp cress. Serve with a selection of crackers, if you like (serves 1).

1. Chicken guacamole wrap Take 1 tortilla wrap and spread 2 tbsp shop-bought guacamole down the middle. Lay ½ shredded chicken breast and ½ sliced red pepper on top. Sprinkle with 30g grated cheddar and roll up tightly. Wrap in baking parchment and tie with string, or roll tightly in cling film (serves 1).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Well if he is anything like mine worry not about it going off.  Mine usually has finished his sarnies by 10 though he leaves his fruit for later.

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

Exactly like mine, I usually hide something for him to find later as I know he will be hungry.

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

Dairy made the fritata last night, for him to have cold today.,  He has just rung and asked if he can have it again tomorrow. ah bless.

Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

Success !

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

Yes until tomorrow, when he says oh no have I got this again.

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

It's difficult & I understand how he feels especially this weather, but it's just as difficult finding new ideas for packing up so I sympathise with both of you, I used to have to pack up my oh lunch , tea , dinner & supper during Harvest time it used to drive me nuts, keeping in mind he thought salad was rabbit food, Lasagne was foreign muck & rice was for weddings. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

there's nothing wrong with an egg sammidge .... is there Stan? nom nom.

Ed, how many eggs did you use in the fritata...did you just whisk everything up and tip it in a pie dish? did you do it on 200c? I fancy that ... a lot!

Photobucket

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

One thing that was a success at a club that makes you thin! well you have to watch your weight!!!!!!!;) just wish I was successful at it:(.........glad he enjoyed it 🙂
Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent