I need some consumer advice - guarantee

Good evening.

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

My dear old mum bought a new fridge freezer from a local electrical shop on May 19th this year, last week (16th Sep) it just stopped working. I rang the shop and they arranged for an engineer to call round (yesterday) to have a look at it, the engineer decided it wasn't worth fixing and the store agreed to replace the fridge freezer with a new one, all good so far.

I went into the store today to choose a new one for my mum but she insisted I get a different make as she assumes the next one will end up breaking. So I choose one that is slightly cheaper (original LEC freezer cost £439.99, new Hotpoint one cost £349.99) when I asked the store manager if the 12 month guarantee will start from today he said it wouldn't, it would start from the original date of May 19th. Is this correct? can we push this under 'fit for purpose' because it lasted less than 4 months and get the guarantee to start from today?

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

As far as i know it is still classed as a replacement so the guarantee starts from the original purchase date.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

If the replacement is a brand new item fridge freezer then the manufacturer's standard 12month guarantee will apply, it's nothing to do with the fact that it's a replacement for one that as you say is 'not fit for purpose'.  Remind the store manager that the 12 month guarantee is not provided by them but by the manufacturer.

No doubt they'll be able to make some claim on the one that's kaput.

Merry Everything & A Happy Always 🙂
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Cheers for the info. Looks like we should have got a full refund instead then purchased the new one, a lesson learned I suppose.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks Angelah, I'll mention what you said about it being a manufacturer's guarantee and hopefully they'll start the date from today. The replacement is brand new btw.

One other thing that annoyed me in the store was, once I'd sorted out the new fridge he just looked at me and said 'is there anything else you needed', I had to remind him he owes the £90 difference, the cheek 😄

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

You could always give trading standards a ring, they'll tell you exactly where you stand, and if they say it should start from the date of the new fridge, you have their backing to arm yourself with.  🙂

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

I never thought about TS, thanks for that, I'll give them a bell in the morning and see what they say.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

You're welcome. 😄

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

i also think the guarantee starts at the date of original purchase...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

If it's a manufacturers guarantee like Angelah stated though and the original was a LEC and the new one is a Hotpoint then doesn't that change things?

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Update.

I went into the store with my mum to collect the difference she was owed and spoke with the manager stating that it's a different make and it should come with a standard 12 month manufacturer's guarantee, he agreed and the date starts from today. Result.

Thanks for your comments, it was appreciated 🙂

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Well done- great result 🙂

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Great result Smiley Happy

Merry Everything & A Happy Always 🙂
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent