Here you go Sam, What hand creams do people use?

I use Nivea coco butter hand cream, it smells lovely.

When my son was little I had really bad hands from using the bottle steriliser fluid and used something in a little round yellow pot, and it was brilliant, I can't remember what it was called though, it was recommended by the health visiter.

Message 1 of 52
See Most Recent
51 REPLIES 51

When I remember to put hand cream on, it is from A*di.  I forget how much it costs but it is good.

Message 21 of 52
See Most Recent

Oops, the body shop one is Hemp, not henna !!
Message 22 of 52
See Most Recent

Another vote for Norwegian formula. I recommend it to a lot of people when I'm working. Great for very dry and cracking skin, But only use the tiniest bit of it, if not you take hours trying to get it rubbed in/off!

Message 23 of 52
See Most Recent

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread it's been most helpful!
Hefzi yes lanolin is good but I can't use it as it brings me out in a rash but for cracks in fingers if you can use it there's nothing finer.
I always used to use the Norwegian brand but over the years it doesn't seem to be as good anymore,
I think the key in all this is to remember to use it. In my car I always have A**XO. & if I remember at night I use E* 5.
When I'm not working I like most women love a nice smelly one.lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 24 of 52
See Most Recent

Saasher - do you do washing up without gloves on becaues I've found that many of the detergents cause serious damage, despite what they say.

T***o used to have their naturals products which worked just fine and then they moved to a different one which was equally good, until they decided to vamp it up and whatever they've put in it, it's horrendous.

So, I've got some of the older stuff in as it's still available now and then, but when that all goes, I'll probably have to back to something like Ecover or remember to constantly use rubber gloves.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 25 of 52
See Most Recent

Washing up what's that? No seriously , I don't wear gloves I'm clumsy enough & I find if I do they make my hands sore , but I agree with you a lot of these so called top brands are rough on your skin . I think my main problem is having to wash my hands so often & as I wear latex gloves during my work I have a theory that it's the talc they use in the gloves that causes the irritant!. I'm afraid there is no way round that as I have to wear them!.

**********Sam**********
Message 26 of 52
See Most Recent

@calibra101 wrote:

I have always used Avon Rose and glycerin. I love it but I will try that udderly one out of curiosity 🙂

OOHH yes it sounds good Calibra!!!Woman Happy

Message 27 of 52
See Most Recent

Can you try for a good barrier cream which you put on around half an hour before using the latex gloves?

If you have to wear them for any length of time at a stretch, they'll make your hands sweat and the skin then more open to the talc so you could well be right about that.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 28 of 52
See Most Recent

I'm sorry Arn, you'll think I'm being difficult but I'm really not I promise you yes I have tried doing that even though I'm not able to plan ahead as to when I have to wear gloves& yes it works for my hands but makes it very difficult for me to hold the instruments I'm using therefore not safe or practical . I'm a lost cause really aren't I , although it gives me plenty of scope for night usage & I think my safest bet would be to concentrate on that, but thank you for being so helpful as you always are, Sandra.

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 52
See Most Recent

I don't think you're being difficult at all - you'd have thought that by now, someone would have come up with some kind of suitable gloves to accommodate people who suffer from having to wear the usual stuff.

For those of us who only may need to use rubber gloves occasionally, it's no big thing really - fo you to be stuck with it is quite another matter.

I hope you find something that eases the damage and maybe try and get some pampering in whenever you can.

Message 30 of 52
See Most Recent

If I ever find one I'll let you know & thanks again.

**********Sam**********
Message 31 of 52
See Most Recent

I use the well known French one (L'Occ****e) but it's quite dear, although it does last, and works for me.  Otherwise I use pure shea butter from a jar, expensive, but lasts forever.

Have sent for Udderly out of curiosity.  I adore body creams, gels, any unguent you can name, I've tried it.  

I use olive oil on my body, straight after showering/bathing, and have done for yonks, then a nice smelly on top.  I have no stretch marks, no wrinkles or cellulite.  Shame about the face Woman LOL

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 32 of 52
See Most Recent

It must be in the genetics ! LOL. I don't to all that trouble apart from my hands & I don't have cellulite, stretch marks etc either, but I'm not a sun lover & I haven't had children,

**********Sam**********
Message 33 of 52
See Most Recent

I have many sunshine wrinkles from our boating days. I wear a factor 30 on my face now but didn't back then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 34 of 52
See Most Recent

Maybe you're right Sam - I cannot sunbathe - being a Scottish blue and white skinned redhead.  I am also a fake tan expert, even from the orange streaky 1970s Woman LOL

The nurses in the hospital commented on my skin when I had bed baths and thought having the bottle of olive oil was hysterical.  Mmmmmh, mind you if I don't use it my skin dries out.

Message 35 of 52
See Most Recent

Were you big boaters/sailors then M?  My ex was, we always had a boat, I hated it and even now the thought makes me queasy - but my son loved it, going out with his Dad.  I was always worried witless until they got back.

Mind you, I used to help with the painting, I must have been nuts when I look back.

Message 36 of 52
See Most Recent

Hubby was so I was too! We didn't sail, we always had engines in our boats. He enjoyed his fishing & so did I actually. Crept up from a speedboat in the 1960's to a 32' cruiser at the end. We had some good times on the boats but I must say I don't miss it at all now. I feel the cold too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 37 of 52
See Most Recent

That's the key then you are a Scottish redhead with pale skin, & I'm a pale skinned brunette & any sign of sun I go crispy, perhaps olive oil acts as a barrier, I did hear that oils are best when the skin is damp is that true?

**********Sam**********
Message 38 of 52
See Most Recent

Yes Sam I do think it may be the key because, as I said, I notice the difference when I don't use it.  In hospital, sometimes the adhesives (arms and hands) wouldn't work.  I put it on with a flannel - one of the nurses, doing it for me, said she felt like she was basting the Sunday chicken .I garden a lot (or used to) and, before going out, I put olive oil and a tsp of sugar on my hands, rinse under a warm tap, scrape nails, usually long, along a bar of soap (to stop the dirt getting in when the gloves punctured) latex gloves on.  Sounds a hassle but it's just habit for me.

Oooh M........ a 32 footer  Woman Happy - my ex would have killed for that, they went fishing too, I was so glad we had a big laundry/uitility room.  They did all the goings on, gutting etc., I didn't even look..............bleurgh.  I cooked the fish though.  My dog used to go mad - she could smell them coming and I would sing 'you will get a fishie in a little dishie' to her, oh I miss Zoe sooo much.  Think I should go and get dressed now!  And eat something, see you later x.

Message 39 of 52
See Most Recent

I can gut & fillet most fish....& cook them! lol 

Message 40 of 52
See Most Recent