Ex has "met" Russian girl

mouse4702
Conversationalist

TBH I think it's a scam.  Okay it's his problem, but it sounds so suspicious.  She's contacted him out of the blue and they have emailed, etc.  She's apparently 33 and blonde and the photo I've seen is lovely.  Ex is 53, no oil painting and on the dole.  Within a week she was phoning him.  After about 3 weeks of emailing, she's decided she's coming to visit him.  Now I'm as romantic as the next man, but I think something here stinks to high heaven!  He says she hasn't asked for money (yet).  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

My thoughts are...there's nothing dafter than the male of the species, when it comes to wanting to be young again.

However...there are exceptions to every rule...so who knows what her motives are.

I'm afraid that, for you, it's a 'watch this space' scenario...& if you are still friendly with your ex...perhaps be there after the 'fall-out' or be there to celebrate.

It's tough on you mouse, I would imagine heart

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

You can take a Girl out of Russia, but you can't take Russia out of the Girl.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

From a mans perspective on the scenario !

It is a young lady only wanting to get over here and yes maybe marry but only to get a passport and I would not be in the least surprised if once she is over here a while her brother (for want of a better word) comes to visit regularly. Then after the required time there is a divorce and suddenly she marries her (for want of a better word) brother and they live together over here happily ever after.

Another scenario could be take him for every penny she can get and disappear !

Ok, I am getting old and cynical but have been in the Merchant Navy and seen things like this happen to others.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

See it all the time at work. How the blokes can't spot it I'll never know
Photobucket
Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

It happened to a friend of my sons, this time from the Philippines he had to pay her parents for the loss of her income. The daft appath did it twice each time it fell through when he ran out of money and ended up with huge debts. He didn't get it either he thought it was love.
Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

He says she hasn't asked for money (yet).  Any thoughts?

Yet, wait for the last minute hitch which means she needs some before she can come.

Yup thats the one,
Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is!

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Thanks for all the input.  TBH they probably deserve each other - maybe she needs warning that he's likely to take her for a ride financially like he did me!  I don't want to see him hurt, but there's no fool like an old fool.  I'll be very interested to see what happens when she arrives. 

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

She'll be closely followed by the Russian Thug, running the group  of Girls she's part of....I would think.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

It may well be a scam, but by the sounds of it he's capable of differentiating reality from scam,  though his 'man goggles', ego, and age, may obscure things a bit, least for a while.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Well, who didn't see it coming?  Errr.... he didn't.  She now "can't come", as she doesn't have the money.  But apparently she hasn't asked him for any yet.  He thinks this is the romance of his life and we should all shut up.  I know he's dealt me some hard blows over our relationship, but it's not nice to see him played for a plonker

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

As long as he doesn't send her the money.  If he hasn't got it he might borrow it?  Tell him to tell her to borrow it at her end!

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

I know somebody that this happened to, he sent her the money to come for Christmas (she was Russian too) but she didn't turn up as "her Mother was too ill to leave" no, she didn't send him a refund! A few months later he sent money again only this time she "had a car crash on the way to the airport", but once again kept the money. He was an elderly man who has since passed away and I suppose if he was happy in his last couple of years thinking that she cared about him then it wasn't my business, but I'm certain that she fleeced him for a very large amount over time. Problem with these men is that their ego gets in the way of common sense, nothing you can do but stand by to pick up the pieces.

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Sadly this happens to women as well, they meet servicemen who want to come and visit but their money hasnt come through yet.

I hope he doesn't send her any money but if he thinks it is the love of his life he will probably think she us on the level not like the others.
Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Just had him here for 2 hours while we Googled "Russian Women Scam" and went through the checklist - she ticks almost every box.  He only HALF believes it now, and yet he's still coming up with excuses for "her". 

I truly never realised before, the strength of male hormones, midlife crisis and self delusion.  It's AWESOME.  A woman would have walked away long ago - I hope

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Men in that situation keep their brains in their trousers Mouse.

......................................................................................................................

A clean house is the sign of a broken computer!
Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent