Can anyone help in identifying country of origin of this dish, please.

It has been in my possession for quite some time and have no idea where it comes from.

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Thank you in advance for any input.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Peacock in a Japanese Cherry tree.jpg

This looks the same.  Described as Peacock in a Japanese Cherry Tree. Vintage 1960s.

For sale on Etsy, for £6.01.  So not very valuable unfortunately.

I presume Japanese. On this other site the seller shows the marking 90degrees clockwise from yours - could be Japanese characters?? Athough theirs is a bit blurred

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

There is also one on ebay.com described as Andrea Sadek signed peacock and cherry blossom porcelain.

It looks like it is an American company

I would post a link but no doubt I would be accused of advertising, so google distinctive decor andrea sadek blue white dinnerware.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

That's nice, but as others say, probably not hugely valuable.  Generally speaking,

the very early blue & white china was hand painted, and that is valuable and quite

rare.  However, later stuff was factory produced and painted/lacuered as holds

less value.

I don't know where yours is from but I have a book about blue & white china and

will have a look for you to see if there is anything like it.  Bear with me though, I've

got to find the book first!

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

My post about Andrea by Sadek (gifts,home decor, Tableware) must be invisible.  Smiley Wink

I didn't put the link to the retailer because of slaps for anyone 'advertising' but it's easy to find the retailer and other examples of the same bowl on other auction sites.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Thank you very much for your efforts suzie. Value was not the issue just my curiosity about origin, I had thought maybe Chinese but the makers mark threw me.

Just got back in from an overnight callout at work or would have answered earlier.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

You're welcome.  My comment was to save fishpie hunting for their book as I'm sure it would give the same make.

Yes the mark threw me a bit - when I saw it shown the other way up - (vertical) on etsy, and a bit blurry I did wonder if it was supposed to be some oriental characters!

I like to know where things come from too.  I have a couple of old plates that I have no idea about and a google search hasn't helped. I might get around to taking some photos one of these days and see if someone on here knows.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

There's a few on .com - with quite a range of prices too.

Search for  VINTAGE BLUE WHITE PORCELAIN SMALL BOWL PLATE PEACOCK

The  maker's mark should be turned around 90 degrees clockwise and I'd be fairly sure it is Japanese.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

aemethril, thank you for that. As you say quite a price range. 

I have two of these bowls slightly over 10 inches in diameter, bought quite a few years ago just because I liked them and £3 for the pair at a carboot.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Just as well you came along Suzieseaside because I can't find the book! Glad you found what you wanted to know Darkcastle, it's interesting.
Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent