'Antique' FOOD in your Store Cupboard?

I recently had a clean, tidy and sort out of my Store/Larder Cupboard.  I was astonished and shocked at how old some of the food stuffs were!  What a sad waste having to dispose of, because I neglected to keep up to date.

Hope to do better this time Woman Embarassed

Have you overlooked or assumed Food Items were still OK?

amethyst

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

I have a son who has OCD so all canned/dried goods were regularly inspected whilst he was at home and still are when he visits and nothing lasts in the fridge lone enough to go off between Miss S and 6 grandkids lol

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

I tend to do this, I buy stuff with the intention of trying a certain recipe, but never actually get round to it.  Fortunately my daughter loves sorting things out and she goes through the pantry every so often and bins the out of date stuff.

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

I just cook it for longer than recommended and gulp it down.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

I think tinned foods and dried stuff lasts 'forever'.Woman Happy

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Meh, if it looks OK, smells OK and tastes OK it gets used.  

So far, so good.... I'm still here and never had food poisoning caused by anything eaten at home.

Many dates are 'best before' rather than 'use by'

soft as velvet but comes with needle sharp claws

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

I think I've got veggie burger mix that's older than me hahahahaaa but I'll use it up, it's dried so can't see what will be wrong with it.

my mother once had a tinned sponge pudding that was produced in the 60's. It was the 80's when we found it in her pantry! I sent the label off to Heinz and they said it was at least 25yrs since they'd used that label....hahahahahaaa even the birds wouldn't eat it!!

Photobucket

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

i remember many years ago my daughter and step daughter told us they would tidy the cupboards while we were at work and we came home to bin liners outside back door and very empty cupboards....

also at easter my grand children wanted my lasagne and got the sheets out of the cupboard and they were use by 2011 they tasted good and no one was sickcookies.gif  also who esle cuts the mouldy bits of cheese...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

If it's a decent sized piece of cheese I'll cut all the edges off..........................................................but I give it to him, I wouldn't eat it.  What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over! Woman Wink

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

oh aye, I cut the mold off the cheese if I need to. The cheese is a lot stronger though, but great for scones or toasted.

all these sell by and eat by dates are a load of rubbish. If it walks out of the fridge on it's own then it's off, otherwise.....use yer snout!!!.....if it smells it's probably off.

Photobucket

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

I'd rather waste money than food!  I used to mock my father who raved about it, but since getting sucked into this "buy one, get one free", nothing winds me up more than buying an excessive amount of food and dumping half of it because too much has had to be eaten by a certain date.  Or having to gorge ourselves on oranges because "They were a special reduced price if you bought two."  Fruit, especially strawberriess or raspberries in this weather, go off while you're actually looking at them!  To me, it's the biggest sin going.

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

Like greyangel, I trust my eyes and nose, and so far, so good.

Time whizzes by so fast things are in the freezer much longer than they are supposed to be according to guidelines, but I have never had a problem.  Occasionally I've seen a bit of frost burn on chicken so the dog gets a treat.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

I dont keep a lot of tins or cupboard goods really. Just baked beans or Soups. I hate cupboards jammed with things half of which have been there forever. We used to be terrible when i was young or my mum was. I always got the job of cleaning sticky cupboards with silver fish running everywhere and even things crawling,, only tiny things in the flour. I only buy what i know im going to use up and rather put things in the fridge if i want them to keep. My mum was not in the best of health so some things went by the wayside until i helped do them,.Woman Surprised. Perhaps thats why i dont ram my cupboards up now.

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

my OH is terrible for bargains...real bargains not food we won't eat. But I have to tell him to stop buying as the cupboards are groaning!!! I haven't done a proper shop in over 3wks and we still have plenty.....

anyone fancy a free dinner?   gets fancy tablecloth out ready.....

Photobucket

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

I will be round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. (Rose waves to CB),,,, wont be long ha ha LOL.Woman LOL

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

found one bag of semolina, used for coating potatoes before roasting, date on it   june 2011,  and I have been using it.

Seriously, apart from a few things like fresh fish etc I don't really bother with dates, cheese especially, look at blue cheese the older the better, smoother and creamier.

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

I once got away with some rather brownish mint sauce by telling everybody it was organic.

laffin smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

I know where Rose is coming from with siilverfish etc. we had them too when I was growing up...damp spots in our home. With flour I read somewhere that mites emerge not from the flour itself but from the glue the bags are made of if past its sell by date????

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Once noticed, after cooking & eating brown rice bought from a sack in a deli in France, that the remainder in the bag was moving 

Closer inspection revealed that it was a mixture of rice grains & maggoty things Smiley Embarassed

Didn't sleep that night I can tell you

Maybe I couldn't stop wriggling Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent