Windows update (Again)!!!

OK, I know there's a thread by OE (who's gone missing???) down the page but have a read of all of this.

I have my win 7 set to notify me about updates rather than have them update & install automatically or to download automatically. I realised I'd not had any mention of updates for a while..... and when I remembered, I soon forgot because I was always "doing something"....

Anyway, last night I remembered, went to check for updates and clicked to do it and.... I got this message:- "Windows update cannot currrently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to re-start your computer".

So I re-started and of course it was still the same. I tried the windows troubleshooter and then downloaded the other Windows Troubleshooter and afterwards it said it hadn't fixed the problem.

I looked round the net for fixes, some looked complicated, some downright "dangerous" and some I just couldn't understand what they were on about!!

After messing about with things for an absolute age, in frustration I went to windows update settings and changed it to never check for updates (not recommended it said). Once I'd checked that and clicked OK, I clicked "Check for updates" and blow me, it started checking for updates. That took a while but it found fourteen updates! (Afterwards, I changed it back to the setting I had before).

In for a penny..... I clicked to D/L them and that took ages and ages as did the installation. The re-start etc also took a while but when done I checked and they'd all installed.......... except one failed!! It was KB4054518.

Again I checked on the net and tried varies methods to get it to install but after a while, I thought on that that particular one (monthly security roll-up) had probably been "superceeded" by the later one. Is that so?

Thanks for sticking with it.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

I used a DVD+R disk to transfer my files. It seems optical drives are on the way out (if they've not already gone) so it looks like the way to go is USB sticks?

Does anyone here use this method of storing or transferring files?

Live long and prosper.

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

I hope to respond to your Win10 posts soon, CeeDee, but very under the weather (literally!) and busy-busy-busy!

Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

I'll look forward to that with great interest. I've not gone for classic shell, I've persisted with it as-is. I'm getting used to it........

Live long and prosper.

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

I used a DVD+R disk to transfer my files. It seems optical drives are on the way out (if they've not already gone) so it looks like the way to go is USB sticks?

Does anyone here use this method of storing or transferring files?

Another "sneakernet" user! I've never quite worked up the enthusiasm to network my computers, which would, presumably, simplify data transfer no end.

Touch wood, I've found that USB flash drives seem to last for ages. On the other hand, I've seen lots of advice against using them for long-term storage - great for moving stuff from one computer to another, but susceptible to abrupt and terminal problems.

Mind you, optical media are only generally considered safe for a few years - apparently they can degrade quite fast.

When our civilisation goes the hard way, there won't be much for archaelogists to puzzle over in future millenia. Paper and ink are susceptible to all sorts of problems, but with a bit of luck, fragments persist for centuries.

All known forms of digital storage, on the other hand, seem relatively short-lived. Add to that the need for appropriate hardware and software to gain access to the various storage media, and I would imagine that all our recent gains in knowlege will simply moulder away come the Nuclear Sunset/Asteroid/Humungous Plague or whatever shifts the bulk of our species into a Better Place.

As for updating Windows 7 - I've given up for the time being. The whole mess is infuriating, and it's not as if I actually use the affected machines for anything useful.

Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

I put my desktop screenshot in the wrong thread.

This is it with the start button clicked:

2018-07-29 02_34_13-Greenshot.jpg

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

I wonder if this will work? Win 10 with my start button clicked:-

Live long and prosper.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

Your attempt to cool yourself down in the heatwave, Cee-Dee? 😉