OE, you around?

This morning I had a strange happening.

I'd fire up this computer and it booted up but because I was doing other things, I didn't log on to anything, it was just on the desktop. A while later, I looked over at it and there was a Black screen with an arrow in the middle, then, it started to boot up again.

When it had done so there was a box in the middle of the desktop "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" and "click here to check for solutions online". I did, nothing happened!

Any thoughts?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 106
See Most Recent
105 REPLIES 105

OE, you around?

I'm undecided about what to do now.

I saw that when that check disk thing just flashes up, you should right click and "run as administrator". What alarmed me was that some files could be lost?

Also, after reading about those errors when trying to creat a system back-up, that you should close down your AV and firewall and try then. More alarm......

I might close everything down, unplug my router and try things...... might being the operative word. Failing that, Just copy my important files to a disk after every addition/change and be done with it.... having lost the will to......

Live long and prosper.

Message 41 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Well, I tried shutting off my AV and the firewall then diconnecting my wired connection to the net and Windows backup failed again.

If it keeps failing like that I'd be wasting my time with Macrium?

Live long and prosper.

Message 42 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Here's a screenshot of the errow message:-

Searching that error was no help, others have the same problem.

Live long and prosper.

Message 43 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

It seems to think a chkdsk might help. Who knows? Might be worth it.

I thought these were quite nice summaries wrt chkdsk:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

https://www.w7forums.com/threads/how-to-use-chkdsk-check-disk.448/

https://askleo.com/chkdsk_what_is_it_and_how_do_i_run_it/

https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/

I'd also be inclined to run sfc /scannow from the command line if you've not had a chance to do so yet.

I promise I've not given up on this project - Real Life can be so inconvenient at times. I'm also having a little bit of a hardware battle.

Message 44 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

So frustrating. Looking at your first link, what I get is nothing like that and going to "Start" and entering chkdsk brings up chkdsk.exe and clicking that just results in a dialogue box flashing up and disappearing as I mentioned before.

Live long and prosper.

Message 45 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

I went a different route, found "tools" and scheduled chkdsk. I closed everything down, shut down, waited a half minute then started up again and bingo, it checked the disk but found nothing from what I could see.

Live long and prosper.

Message 46 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

What does the chkdsk say? (Mentioned this last night, I think.

How to find it:

https://superuser.com/questions/214209/where-are-the-results-of-chkdsk-located-in-windows-7

You did run chkdsk /r, I take it - there should be a fair bit of information.

Message 47 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

These links keep on showing things that are far, far different than what shows up on this computer.

"Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application -> Wininit"

When I try that route, it's all different. No sign of "Administative tools" so I went to "Start" and entered "Administative tools", went through some of the links but but when I went to "Applications" (note plural?) there was no sign of "Source" or "Winnit".

Live long and prosper.

Message 48 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Entering "Events" after clicking "Start" I got this but none of the things I looked at were what flashed up during/end of chkdsk:-

Live long and prosper.

Message 49 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

I coaxed a W7 laptop into life - being a simple soul, I tend to go more the GUI than command line route when I have the choice.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer  found basically what you show in your post.

I then expanded "Windows Logs" and clicked on Application.

This (after a bit of thinking) produced a central window thingy with three columns - Event, Date and Time, Source.

It only contains 6756 entries.

The good news is that you can scroll through by date, and look for a "Wininit" event matching the date and time of your disc check. You'll need to experiment (I don't have one handy) - try double clicking on it and seeing whether it opens the chkdsk report, or right click and see what's available.

You might also try clicking on "Filter current log..." in the action pane on the right:

https://superuser.com/questions/214209/where-are-the-results-of-chkdsk-located-in-windows-7

(cited previously) might help.

I see I can't insert images, so no point trying to take screenshots and transfer them to this machine.

If you want a simple GUI approach to running a disk check:

Press the Windows key/menu button, go Computer > Local Disc C>Properties>Tools>Error checking>tick both boxes in the little box that opens, click Start.

It'll need a restart.

After the restart, retrieve the disk check file as described earlier. Repeat for  the other partition (D, I think it was.)

Message 50 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

I could fill the place with screenshots. For me, Control Panel doesn't yield "adminstative tools". My control panel:-

Live long and prosper.

Message 51 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Isn’t there a drop down to alter the view?

Control Panel Cats.png

Control Panel Icons.png

Message 52 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

There are different views on Win7 control panel and I recollect home edition whatever limiting what you can easily see. The link might help.

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/windows-7-control-panel-features/

Message 53 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Clicking "Small icons" or "Large icons" brings up a whole page full of stuff and Administative tools is amongst them. I guess it's the different versions of Win 7 that show up differently?

Live long and prosper.

Message 54 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Going back to #47 and mention of "winnit", There's no "Applications", but "applications & services", here's another screenshot:-

Live long and prosper.

Message 55 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

You've missed the "Windows Logs" step out (or your computer, for some bizarre reason, doesn't show it.)

I've just double checked:

Control panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application

event1.jpg

Message 56 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Why this blessed site sometimes lets me post screenshots and more often doesn't, goodness knows.

Message 57 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

My version of Win 7 is "Home Premium".  Dunno how much difference that makes?

Live long and prosper.

Message 58 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Getting there!

Double click on Application (or expand Windows Logs with the + thing and then click on Application  from the list that appears.)

That should get you to what's shown in my screenshot.

The scrollable bit is the little centre window. Try to find a "wininit" for the right date and time. It might take a while now, as the event log records a lot of stuff. (It's the bit that "support" scammers direct their telephonic victims to. As it's normal for it to show all sorts of errors and warnings, it is useful for putting the wind up the ill-informed, and persuading them that they need expensive assistance.)

Message 59 of 106
See Most Recent

OE, you around?

Here's a couple to be going on with, no sign of anything called "winnit". If I go to "Start" and type in CHKDSK/R I get "No items matched your search".

Live long and prosper.

Message 60 of 106
See Most Recent