A rant - eBay's use of Captcha

If I've been uncharacteristically quiet of late, it's primarily due to it being such a hassle to log into eBay now.

It can easily take me four or five minutes of trying to spot all the buses, fire hydrants, crosswalks (I assume that means "pedestrian crossings") and so on.

Infuriating, although the good news is that it's saved me money when I've just become fed up and given up on trying to log in to buy something. Not ALL bad news, then!

No doubt it would save effort if I simply allowed eBay to plant long-lived cookies/local storage stuff/blah blah. For me, privacy still trumps security, and I think they can jolly well take a running jump into a nice, cold lake.

(Oh- and to really add injury to insult - I have to temporarily allow Google to run javascript in order to infuriate myself with the Captcha puzzles. Aaaaaargh.)

Rant over. For the moment.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Haha, I've come a-cropper with those too, maybe it was elsewhere though.

Glad there was a silver lining for you 😉

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

One demand for Captcha rubbish today - then it ate my attempted post.

Second time, it let me in and worked. I realised that I'd not cancelled Google's temporary "allowed" in NoScript - it needs to be allowed, along with gstatic, for the captcha thing to work.

I've reblocked Google - let's see whether this works...

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Amazing!

I miss chatting here, but the whole Captcha thing has become too tedious for words. Most of the time, when it appears, I simply abandon ship.

I assume a "crosswalk" is a pedestrian crossing. And when it asks for pictures of crosswalks - or hydrants or buses - does that mean complete crosswalks - or hydrants or buses - or any square containing a bit of a picture o what's been requested?

Bed time. It was fun visiting. Be interesting to see whether it lets me in without nonsense next time.

Bah!

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Same problem, I have installed a seperate browser just to use ebay when I can be bothered.  I have also been buying more and more from amazon, as I don have problems with my browser on their site. Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

It's a real pain in the *bleep* !!! It *bleep* me off BIG time !!!

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

I'm going off eBay UK pronto. Ater 21 years I've had enough. My involvement has dropped, and dropped, and now I'm not even bothered if things sell or not. Waste of space... that's the conclusion I'm coming too. Sad..

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Yes, I think Amazon is the way forward.. sorry eBay UK , but you no longer do it for me.. I'm off as soon as I can re-orientate myself. 

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent