eBay recently changed policy and is now Forcing Returns

I've been selling on eBay for over 24 years, up until a few days ago I have listed and sold all items without returns (unless defective, not as described etc) - but now when I try to list in any category eBay won't permit my listing to go through unless I accept toggle on accepting returns. I know returns help get sales, but I've also experienced situations where buyers abuse this - so out of personal choice I've listed my policy as not accepting returns, until just the other day. I contacted ebay "customer service" and they told me that due to a high volume of issues with other sellers they have now blanket enforced accepting returns - has anyone else found this recently?

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Never heard of that policy.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Thats news to me too..... Are you able to provide a copy of the transcript or a link to the relevant part of policy which states this?

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

"I've been selling on eBay for over 24 years"

Hope you have very deep pockets 🤐

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Perhaps it is because you look like a business seller and business sellers have to accept returns.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

I totally agree. having looked at their listings, it appears that it is a business and not a private seller. Surprised that Ebay have not instructed them to change. Maybe forcing to accept returns is the first step.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Noticed so many of these threads lately where a business seller masquerading as a private seller is complaining about something fairly trivial.  

Even if you had "no returns" on your listings, you'd still need to accept returns most of the time anyway as Ebay will usually side with the buyer.  It happened to a friend of mine who had an expensive item returned even though it was not deemed "significantly not as described", and they are a genuine private seller who've only ever sold a few things before. 

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

according to other buisness sellers, after you reach "the cap", this will happen.

No problem. If they damage it take it up with eBay or smelly old Courier 

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Exactly - and if you look at the text within eBay's Return Policy it still states that you have the choice to accept returns or not, but nevertheless now all my new listings won't list unless I choose to accept returns.

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

I'm listed as an Individual Account not a Business.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

I'm not a business, I'm an individual that tries to list in a professional manner.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

You do realise that individuals,  if they buy goods to sell, are businesses and need ebay business accounts to stay within the law?  

Not all businesses are limited companies.

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Yes, you are listed as a private seller, your decision, not Ebays, but all the evidence is that you are not, and should be trading as a business.

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent