UK Community Update

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi Everyone!

Today we launch the updated eBay community in the UK. 

As you will have noticed, the eBay community looks different. We have launched the updated design of the community with a few new features:

• Mobile experience enhanced
  • Reduced load time
  • Quicker navigation through the site

Of course, all your previous posts, messages and comments are still where they were before. The changes to the community are focused on the look and feel, to enhance your experience and allow mobile users to fully utilise the community, too.

If you have any questions about the new eBay community, feel free to ask below in this discussion board.

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 1 of 237
See Most Recent
236 REPLIES 236

UK Community Update

Thank you! 

Message 41 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Just awful!!!

Message 42 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

I found another.   They appear to have reset the kudos for most helpful responders.    What a waste of time that was people giving kudos to their so called internet friends to keep them at the top of the board.   

Message 43 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

I think you have it in a nutshell, satellite.

I bet this lot of software 'experts' don't use forums like this on ebay.  How else could this be so useless? How could this design of seeing one topic/thread per mobile screen EVER be better than being able to view quite a long list of many more recent threads and to be able to see when the last post was made?

Do ebay listen to their customers? 🙈 🙉 Will there ever be any satisfactory replies to our feedback?........  

🐖 🐷 🐽 🐖 🐷 🐽  flying past my window

And where are all the posts of approval from those forum users who think these changes have enhanced their experience?? 

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 44 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's probably the worst "improvement" in Ebay's long history of fixing things that aren't broken, whilst ignoring all the long running site glitches and problems that would actually make it easier to use, and up their income by allowing more listings. 

Even Mangled Payments isn't as dumb as this.

Message 45 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

There's one thing I like..... If I post a link to anywhere on the boards, clicking it opens it in a new tab. (or is that a windows 10 thing?)

Another thing that's gone missing is....... each post used to have a number which was useful to point others to, like "see #1234" (For example).  

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 46 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

If you think you've improved the look of the eBay Community Forums with this new layout then you're severely mistaken.  These latest eBay "improvements" have made a complete and utter pig's ear of the layout of the eBay Community Forums, and I know I'm certainly not alone with regards to the amount of people who would prefer to see this new format abandoned and the old format reinstated.  For proof of this take some time to browse the forums for threads created by people requesting that the old format be reinstated instead of this hideous new layout you've lumbered us with.

When eBay decide to make "improvements" to the site bear in mind that it would be a far better use of time and effort to focus primarily on fixing the longstanding site glitches that are in dire need of sorting out, as opposed to making unwanted and unnecessary changes to one of the very few aspects of the site that eBay hadn't actually managed to ruin until recently - ie:  the eBay Community Forums.

Message 47 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Hear hear - well said

I call a couple of years ago they changed the reporting of purchases which was also so badly received - don't they ever learn?  We predicted that it would result in less volume of feedback, and so it did!

Message 48 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

After looking around a bit more there is only one way to describe this mess --  SABOTAGE.

About the only thing they haven't changed is the heading, Discussion Boards and that's now a misnomer as discussion has been made impossible.

Was that the point of the exercise?? 

Message 49 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

You mentioned "reduced load time"? OK, see how long this thread taked to load. Note my link is to page 29. 

Loading from the first  page takes even longer. It was much faster on the old boards.

How about we have some choons? - Page 29 - The eBay Community

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 50 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Can you not just tweak the old layout so it works on mobile phones?

It does not need fancy pictures, oversized buttons & large expanses of white space.

Simple works better with forums as it's the content & function that's important.

The old way of listing the boards & threads vertically was much easier to read & use.

When someone replies to a poster's comment it throws everything out of order making it impossible to follow.

Where is the spell check?

Where is the insert quote?

Where is the 'post' button?

Where is the clue that a poster is experienced?

Where is the change of colour or quick hint that a post has been updated?

All of this worked in the old layout.

Please change it back & just make it work for mobiles.

Message 51 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

This really isn't enhancing anyones experience, it's dreadful. Can we have an option to change it back?

*************************************************************************************
Reach for the stars, it stops you sagging xx
Message 52 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback, which I have collected and which I will now pass on.

I hope that I can already tell you on Monday what changes / improvements are possible and what is not feasible.

Have a nice weekend and stay safe,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 53 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Thank you Katie.   My current feedback would be......hardly anyone is now posting on the boards or replying. 

Message 54 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

I hope you have a good weekend too Katie.

I'll miss the Sunday morning chat on Seller Central now that's been made impossible.

I do hope your update on Monday will contain a hell of a lot of improvements that will result in the boards reverting to something usable for "Discussion".

Message 55 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

quote is the speech marks

to find the missing things click on the three dots:-

Untitled.png

Message 56 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Thank you Katie

but it should never have come to this, who on earth thought this terrible mess was a good idea?

Message 57 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

Thanks a step in the right direction.

As a old retired system developer, I learnt my lesson - talk to the users first!

That should be one the first commandments.

Please pass on, but one of the most irritating things of the new system is a waste of screen space, too much "white space" which means more scrolling etc etc

Message 58 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

I'd say there are broadly two main sorts of people who post to these boards (I'm afraid I'm not counting eBay staff, because their posts, though undoubtedly authoritative, informative, courteous and helpful, are relatively rare).

- professional eBay users, mainly responders, probably using an old-fashioned sort of big screen computer.

- occasional users, mainly OPs in need of help, probably using a mobile telephone with a small screen.

For a useful community to function, you really need a forum format that works well for both sorts of users.  Otherwise you get lots of questions from people in need of help, and few useful/wise answers from experienced users.

I've tried the new format for a couple of days - and I've reconfigured my settings too.   However, for someone like me, with a big old-fashioned computer, who mainly replies to topics rather than starting them, the format is very poor. 

When I access the PowerSeller board, for example,  the first screen on my link shows me a big picture of a creepy-looking grinning man, the information that I am on the POWERSELLER BOARD, and a link to a pinned post from Luke (yes, Luke, that must be an old one!).

Scrolling down to the next screen gives me 3 threads - with no indication at all of who posted last, whether I've read them or posted to the threads, or whether, if I have, there are any new ones.

I would GUESS that the PowerSeller board in particular would have a high proportion of users who are using computers rather than mobile telephones to access the boards.  And this format is unsuitable for computers.

Fair enough, you've already killed off the PowerSeller Cafe Board, now you'll kill off the PowerSeller Business Board.  Your train set, your decision.

But you also risk losing a fair proportion of your regular responders - the eBay members who spend their lunch hours doing unpaid work to make up for the deficiencies of your ludicrously out-of-date and unnavigable help pages and your well-meaning but largely hamstrung or incompetent Customer Service staff.

The format is unnavigable, unbrowsable, and while the search function may be friendly for the majority of people looking for answers or advice, it stymies the unpaid people on whom you rely to provide those answers and advice.

Treating your most regular members with contempt because the new format looks pretty for beginners, may not be the best move, if it prevents those members getting that help.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 59 of 237
See Most Recent

UK Community Update

thank you for your post, it's sums it up perfectly

Message 60 of 237
See Most Recent