💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 30.08.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay , dave@ebay , and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Good Afternoon 

The .com board have a pinned thread/sticky with any technical issues reported. Is it possible we could have something along those lines?

I know it's possibly a negative promotion from eBay's point of view, but it would be reassuring particularly in the light of the EDD Bank Holiday this weekend.
One post advising this was an issue would have stopped loads of repeat posts, threads and no doubt phonecalls to CS. 
Just my thoughts..

Jo

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

@bojangled wrote:

Good Afternoon 

The .com board have a pinned thread/sticky with any technical issues reported. Is it possible we could have something along those lines?

I know it's possibly a negative promotion from eBay's point of view, but it would be reassuring particularly in the light of the EDD Bank Holiday this weekend.
One post advising this was an issue would have stopped loads of repeat posts, threads and no doubt phonecalls to CS. 
Just my thoughts..

Jo

Hi @bojangled 

The guys in the .com site are set up a little differently to us so they can maintain that post. Its not something that we would able to do on this side.

We will continue to monitor the threads as normal though and you can tag us in any issues that you're having so we can review them as quickly as possible. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Will eBay ever provide a letter/large letter option for returns? Returns are already weighted towards the buyer in that they have to offer no evidence that the item is faulty / not as described.

I recently had a return forced on me for two orders because the buyer said they were smaller than they thought, despite the size being in the title, the listing description and a photo of the item next to a 1p coin. But just because the buyer says so, eBay want to charge me £3.35 each for the return labels for items that cost a third of that to post.

In some cases the return label eBay wants to charge is more than the total value of the sale. Does nobody at eBay realise that many items posted are sent as large letters or even letters and that we need a corresponding return label for such items?

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Items specifics question. I have some vinatge products that were made in Czechoslovakia, West Germany  & Yugoslavia. Just because these countries do not exist anymore does not mean products from them do not exist. Why are we not able to input these former countries names into the item specifics section for country of origin?

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

@darth_baggins wrote:

Will eBay ever provide a letter/large letter option for returns? Returns are already weighted towards the buyer in that they have to offer no evidence that the item is faulty / not as described.

I recently had a return forced on me for two orders because the buyer said they were smaller than they thought, despite the size being in the title, the listing description and a photo of the item next to a 1p coin. But just because the buyer says so, eBay want to charge me £3.35 each for the return labels for items that cost a third of that to post.

In some cases the return label eBay wants to charge is more than the total value of the sale. Does nobody at eBay realise that many items posted are sent as large letters or even letters and that we need a corresponding return label for such items?

Hi darth_baggins, thanks for your post.

No plans for this at the moment. However, I will make sure to pass your feedback on, so this can be taken into consideration for future updates.

Regarding your return, if an item not as described return is filed, we wouldn't be able to dispute the buyer's claim as we do not handle the items. For further information, you can visit our eBay money back Guarantee here.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Hiya.Could you please help me .I feel so upset and lost

Sold a tracksuit to buyer,posted asap 1st class on my own cost.Next day buyer msg that jacket is fine,but bottoms doesn't fit.Ok,no problem I said just return for full refund.Got msg back " why should I return if I can sell it for£100 LOL (purchase £47 including free postage)

Straight away negative feedback item doesn't fit.

I feel so so upset I had 100%positive feedback for 4 years,now this person with 10 feedback ruined all my hard work 😞 ebay refused to remove it 😞

It sounds silly but I can't sleep,I feel lost.As I tried my best ;(

All representatives I spoke to said that I've done everything right,they went through the msg and agreed buyer is just cheeky.

But refused to remove.Why????

Any advice please.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

@darth_baggins wrote:

Regarding your return, if an item not as described return is filed, we wouldn't be able to dispute the buyer's claim as we do not handle the items

And this is part of the problem. eBay hide behind this 'we don't handle the items' mantra so they automatically side with the buyer. In other words you will take the word of someone new to the site over the word of someone with 10s or 100s of thousands of feedback with a good record spanning decades on your site with a good reputation.

We don't handle items basically means you automatically side with the buyer, regardless of the facts. It's quite insulting to sellers.

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

@jelst_30 wrote:

Hiya.Could you please help me .I feel so upset and lost

Sold a tracksuit to buyer,posted asap 1st class on my own cost.Next day buyer msg that jacket is fine,but bottoms doesn't fit.Ok,no problem I said just return for full refund.Got msg back " why should I return if I can sell it for£100 LOL (purchase £47 including free postage)

Straight away negative feedback item doesn't fit.

I feel so so upset I had 100%positive feedback for 4 years,now this person with 10 feedback ruined all my hard work 😞 ebay refused to remove it 😞

It sounds silly but I can't sleep,I feel lost.As I tried my best ;(

All representatives I spoke to said that I've done everything right,they went through the msg and agreed buyer is just cheeky.

But refused to remove.Why????

Any advice please.

Hi jelst_30, thanks for your post.

We wouldn't remove feedback if the feedback in question doesn't violate any of our feedback policies/procedures. While I understand where you are coming from, a negative feedback from a buyer expressing their thoughts/experience, wouldn't be considered to be a breach of our feedback policies. You can review our feedback policies in full here.

What you could do is sending your buyer a feedback revision form, if they are willing to, they can go through the revision form to change the feedback they've left. If this is something you haven't done before, you can see how to do it and send it from here.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Another example of EDD not working. Time and time again we are told EDD is working fine. 

Listings showing on a Friday night of Bank Holiday weekend, that a buyer may get it on a Tuesday. How is this possible when the item won't be dispatched till Tuesday? 

This is not supporting small business but creating more problems for small business and fales expetations for buyers. 

Maybe it is time ebay got ride of EDD as it is clearly not working and let businesses manage their own delivery time frames.  

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

@simas-stuff wrote:

Items specifics question. I have some vinatge products that were made in Czechoslovakia, West Germany  & Yugoslavia. Just because these countries do not exist anymore does not mean products from them do not exist. Why are we not able to input these former countries names into the item specifics section for country of origin?

Hi @simas-stuff,

The list of countries isn't something we can edit but you have the option to create your own specifics. You can then add the older country names.

Specifics are still searchable when they are created by the seller so buyers can still find the items. 

Thanks,

Dave.

eBay
Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

This is a commentary explaining the issue that will give the explanation needed to answer the single question that will follow:

We are constantly challenged by buyers claiming that we have not sent the item yet as the tracking only shows the Royal Mail tracking number has been provided. The tracking number then only updates when the Royal Mail deliver it.

eBay challenge us in the same regard, that eBay don't trust that we have sent an item when we have.

The Royal Mail are taking longer and longer to process standard post with RM24 and RM48, yet eBay still hold sellers to ransom that items will be delivered faster than they will.

It is not the seller's fault the Royal Mail are slower than eBay expect.

It is not the seller's fault that the tracking only updates at 2 points during the whole delivery.

Question:

Why don't eBay try to do something to help prevent the huge distrust from growing more and more between buyers and sellers, that leads to sellers wondering why they bother at all?

Thanks

Russ

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

When will ebay realise that the EDD system does not work?? Week in week out i see issues with this on here and also every singel day on my store.

I have a 2 working day dispactch for items to be sent out and offer 2nd class free as standard, Royal Mail say this is a 2-3 working day service. I also 1st class as an upgrade which Royal Mail say is a 1-2 working day service.

So can eBay please explain why they both have the same esitmated delivery dates????

You are saying that both arrive the day after dispatch which for 2nd class is not true this leads to customers being given inaccurate delivery times leading to more grief for me. When will this be sorted and actually show when Royal Mail advise not when you want to?

Also why on earth would you show items to be dispatched on a Bank Holiday Monday?? I have 25 items showing to be dispatched on a Bank Holiday from orders over the weekend. Obviously these were not dispatched then so I hope that this will not affect my account.

As you can clearly see you have a huge issue with the EDD and dispatch dates please sort this out.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

@returns_andexdisplay wrote:

Another example of EDD not working. Time and time again we are told EDD is working fine. 

Listings showing on a Friday night of Bank Holiday weekend, that a buyer may get it on a Tuesday. How is this possible when the item won't be dispatched till Tuesday? 

This is not supporting small business but creating more problems for small business and fales expetations for buyers. 

Maybe it is time ebay got ride of EDD as it is clearly not working and let businesses manage their own delivery time frames.  

Hi @returns_andexdisplay 

This was actually a tech issue on our side, EDDs did not include the bank holiday for some postcodes. Our tech team are investigating the issue. 

If you were impacted by this issue we will protect your performance on orders placed from 21st August to 31st August .

This will cover  your late delivery rate, which will be removed for orders placed from 21st August to 31st August . It will also cover the INR count in service metrics dashboard, these will be automatically be removed for affected orders. 

We will also remove any negative and neutral feedback relating to or arising from late or non-delivery for   affected orders during this period. 

The defect will be removed from the account within 72 hours so there shouldn't be any action necessary from your side.

Thanks,

Dave.

eBay
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

@ducatimondo wrote:

This is a commentary explaining the issue that will give the explanation needed to answer the single question that will follow:

We are constantly challenged by buyers claiming that we have not sent the item yet as the tracking only shows the Royal Mail tracking number has been provided. The tracking number then only updates when the Royal Mail deliver it.

eBay challenge us in the same regard, that eBay don't trust that we have sent an item when we have.

The Royal Mail are taking longer and longer to process standard post with RM24 and RM48, yet eBay still hold sellers to ransom that items will be delivered faster than they will.

It is not the seller's fault the Royal Mail are slower than eBay expect.

It is not the seller's fault that the tracking only updates at 2 points during the whole delivery.

Question:

Why don't eBay try to do something to help prevent the huge distrust from growing more and more between buyers and sellers, that leads to sellers wondering why they bother at all?

Thanks

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thank you for your question.

There are a couple of things here. The first being that eBay does not have an impact on the times Royal Mail provides to us and also to sellers who purchase services from them. Sellers are responsible for the postage service they use for their items.

However, eBay does want courier performance, area, buyer location and other factors to impact EDD's so both buyers and sellers have an accurate picture. We are continuing to offer dynamic EDD's across the site to help with this.

Thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

@ak_craft_crazy wrote:

When will ebay realise that the EDD system does not work?? Week in week out i see issues with this on here and also every singel day on my store.

I have a 2 working day dispactch for items to be sent out and offer 2nd class free as standard, Royal Mail say this is a 2-3 working day service. I also 1st class as an upgrade which Royal Mail say is a 1-2 working day service.

So can eBay please explain why they both have the same esitmated delivery dates????

You are saying that both arrive the day after dispatch which for 2nd class is not true this leads to customers being given inaccurate delivery times leading to more grief for me. When will this be sorted and actually show when Royal Mail advise not when you want to?

Also why on earth would you show items to be dispatched on a Bank Holiday Monday?? I have 25 items showing to be dispatched on a Bank Holiday from orders over the weekend. Obviously these were not dispatched then so I hope that this will not affect my account.

As you can clearly see you have a huge issue with the EDD and dispatch dates please sort this out.

Hi @ak_craft_crazy 

As you know the EDDs dynamic and based on a number of factors such as how your account performed in the past, delivery times to different areas and how the different carriers are performing. Sometimes when different shipping methods are showing the same EDDs it can mean that one of them is performing better or worse than the other. 

The bank holiday was unfortunately a tech issue on our side. 

If you were impacted by this issue we will protect your performance on orders placed from 21st August to 31st August .

This will cover  your late delivery rate, which will be removed for orders placed from 21st August to 31st August . It will also cover the INR count in service metrics dashboard, these will be automatically be removed for affected orders. 

We will also remove any negative and neutral feedback relating to or arising from late or non-delivery for   affected orders during this period. 

The defect will be removed from the account within 72 hours so there shouldn't be any action necessary from your side.

Thanks,

Dave.

eBay
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.