💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 26.07.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay , dave@ebay , and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Hi

We have been having a issue for nearly all of July where we can not archive paid & dispatched orders. Have reported severly times but all i get in rely is that it has been noted and it will be fixed. Causing real hassle at present with trying to ensure all order are done correctly

Can you help

Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi,

Hope you are all well.

I know this question gets asked a lot but I have followed the answers and nothing happens.

When will eBay or somebody from eBay step up to the plate and ban sellers selling fake items and businesses using private accounts. I was told around 8 weeks ago to report them, I had already reported them the previous month so thats now 3 months since the first reports that I can remember and the sellers are still selling fake goods (shoes that retail for £750 for £250 so obviously fake and marked as customised to bypass authentication Guarantee Scheme). I have even had customer service staff from the AGS report them and nothing happens.

I have spoken to a community staff member, offered to send a list of all the accounts who are clearly trading illegally but I was told one to one support could not be offered, its not one to one support, its eBay acting within the law and closing accounts which trade illegally. 

My question is do I really need to go down the case of complaining to trading standards for eBay to make sure their site is acting within the law as 3 months seems more than enough time for you to act upon reports. Please do not brush this off and tell me reports are acted upon in a timely manner as if you believe over 3 months is acceptable then eBay have an even bigger issue. I would like somebody to take control of the clear breaches in ebay policy.

If you could please tell me what I need to do as the reporting function is not fit for purpose. 

Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

@mteconlineshop wrote:

Hi

We have been having a issue for nearly all of July where we can not archive paid & dispatched orders. Have reported severly times but all i get in rely is that it has been noted and it will be fixed. Causing real hassle at present with trying to ensure all order are done correctly

Can you help

Hi @mteconlineshop 

This was a known issue for a while but it should have been resolved last Friday. 

If you're still unable to archive can you PM me some example order numbers and Ill have Tech investigate why its still happening. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Hi,

Hope you are all well.

I know this question gets asked a lot but I have followed the answers and nothing happens.

When will eBay or somebody from eBay step up to the plate and ban sellers selling fake items and businesses using private accounts. I was told around 8 weeks ago to report them, I had already reported them the previous month so thats now 3 months since the first reports that I can remember and the sellers are still selling fake goods (shoes that retail for £750 for £250 so obviously fake and marked as customised to bypass authentication Guarantee Scheme). I have even had customer service staff from the AGS report them and nothing happens.

I have spoken to a community staff member, offered to send a list of all the accounts who are clearly trading illegally but I was told one to one support could not be offered, its not one to one support, its eBay acting within the law and closing accounts which trade illegally. 

My question is do I really need to go down the case of complaining to trading standards for eBay to make sure their site is acting within the law as 3 months seems more than enough time for you to act upon reports. Please do not brush this off and tell me reports are acted upon in a timely manner as if you believe over 3 months is acceptable then eBay have an even bigger issue. I would like somebody to take control of the clear breaches in ebay policy.

If you could please tell me what I need to do as the reporting function is not fit for purpose. 

Hi pg_kicks, thanks for your question.

It is within eBay's best interest that all sellers are in compliance, this means we constantly check accounts to make sure that private seller trade as private sellers, and that business sellers trade as business sellers. If we happen to find an account that is not in compliance, we would take actions accordingly.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

On last week's chat the following answer was given regarding illegal traders: "We perform reviews to make sure that no business sellers are trading as private sellers, so we are constantly reviewing this to make sure all sellers are in compliance. If you see a business trading as a private seller, feel free to report it to us, and we will be happy to review."

There are thousands of illegal traders who have been active for years with no action ever taken regardless of the amount of reports made. I'm talking about account with thousands of listings with the seller openly stating that they are in business, not those that are in any way questionable. So exactly what reporting route will actually get an account reviewed? Reporting using the Report Listing Button on individual listings doesn't get an account reviewed. Reporting using the Report Seller link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/action?topicId=4850 doesn't get an account reviewed, even when extensive proof and details are submitted. For example, a business trading for well over a decade over multiple private accounts, all publicly linked by the seller on their Facebook business page, with around 1000 listings on each account, advertising their business status on all listings and in their multiple About sections on ebay. So do we need to report these directly to the ebay community staff or is there a dedicated email address (given the huge scale of the problem, I'm thinking there must be) for dealing with such blatant illegal trading as basic online reporting options don't work?

Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

Is there a planned timeframe to introduce ebay's new International Shipping Program in the UK? Will the terms be the same as the US are getting, ie no international fee, final value fees on domestic postage only and all returns dealt with by ebay?

Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

Good afternoon!

I wanted to ask if eBays rules have changed surrounding duplicate listings. I see so many sellers who have the same item listed 2, 3, 4 times (sometimes more!) just with slightly different photos and 5p or so difference in the price, but they never seem to get removed. Likewise, some sellers have a variation listing and then each of those variations also listed individually, which I thought was also against eBay policy? Recently I've also seen combined variation listings, where all variation listings are also combined into one huge listing, even though they are quite different items. 

I genuinely wondered if something has changed without me realising - I follow policy but when sellers are using duplicate listings to saturate certain categories / searches seemingly without any consequence (I have reported) I'm unsure how I can compete with this. Also, it must be frustrating for buyers to be searching for an item and clicking on the same items again and again, it doesn't make for a happy buying experience- it's just so messy (especially combined with the listings which offer a 99p 'gift bag' to draw false attention).

Thank you.

Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi,

I am having issues leaving feedback this week. It says, we ran in to a problem, and when I do it a second time, it says, you have already left feedback for this item.

Also, for a long time now, I get duplicate e mails informing me an item has been received at Litchfield and again when it has been delivered.

Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax wrote:

Is there a planned timeframe to introduce ebay's new International Shipping Program in the UK? Will the terms be the same as the US are getting, ie no international fee, final value fees on domestic postage only and all returns dealt with by ebay?

Hi rainbowtrax, thanks for your question.

We wouldn't have an exact date at the moment for this, and since it hasn't been introduced, we wouldn't be able to confirm the terms and conditions. However, as soon as this is introduced a policy will be in place, so sellers can see how it works and what the terms and conditions are.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

Its certainly not been resolved, its getting worse all the time, more and more orders are reappearing and refusing to go even if archived.  It now takes longer to mark an item as dispatched and upload tracking than it does to physically pack and post it.

3 to post?  open it up and that jumps to 13 (actually its only 2)

Fullscreen capture 26072023 123133.bmp.jpgFullscreen capture 26072023 123112.bmp.jpg

---
Experience is something we gain, just after we needed it
Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax wrote:

On last week's chat the following answer was given regarding illegal traders: "We perform reviews to make sure that no business sellers are trading as private sellers, so we are constantly reviewing this to make sure all sellers are in compliance. If you see a business trading as a private seller, feel free to report it to us, and we will be happy to review."

There are thousands of illegal traders who have been active for years with no action ever taken regardless of the amount of reports made. I'm talking about account with thousands of listings with the seller openly stating that they are in business, not those that are in any way questionable. So exactly what reporting route will actually get an account reviewed? Reporting using the Report Listing Button on individual listings doesn't get an account reviewed. Reporting using the Report Seller link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/action?topicId=4850 doesn't get an account reviewed, even when extensive proof and details are submitted. For example, a business trading for well over a decade over multiple private accounts, all publicly linked by the seller on their Facebook business page, with around 1000 listings on each account, advertising their business status on all listings and in their multiple About sections on ebay. So do we need to report these directly to the ebay community staff or is there a dedicated email address (given the huge scale of the problem, I'm thinking there must be) for dealing with such blatant illegal trading as basic online reporting options don't work?

Hi @rainbowtrax 

The policy team will review all reports that are sent through the link you shared. We don't work in the policy team and can only forward any reports you sent through us. For the most part we don't have the bandwidth to take all your reports so it is best to continue reporting directly through the site.

It may not look like the are actioning these reports but all reports are taken seriously and the appropriate action will always be taken. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 12 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, Order number 27-10243-82729 11-10251-78745 are just 2 at the top of the list

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

@petals-and-paws wrote:

Good afternoon!

I wanted to ask if eBays rules have changed surrounding duplicate listings. I see so many sellers who have the same item listed 2, 3, 4 times (sometimes more!) just with slightly different photos and 5p or so difference in the price, but they never seem to get removed. Likewise, some sellers have a variation listing and then each of those variations also listed individually, which I thought was also against eBay policy? Recently I've also seen combined variation listings, where all variation listings are also combined into one huge listing, even though they are quite different items. 

I genuinely wondered if something has changed without me realising - I follow policy but when sellers are using duplicate listings to saturate certain categories / searches seemingly without any consequence (I have reported) I'm unsure how I can compete with this. Also, it must be frustrating for buyers to be searching for an item and clicking on the same items again and again, it doesn't make for a happy buying experience- it's just so messy (especially combined with the listings which offer a 99p 'gift bag' to draw false attention).

Thank you.

Hi petals-and-paws, thanks for your question.

No, our duplicate listings policy haven't changed so far.

If you see listings/items that are against this policy, please feel free to report them, so they can be reviewed. Here is the link to report listings/items in case you need it.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi Dave, 

Can you tell me how long eBay believe it should take for a report to be actioned upon? Just as you can see we all believe this is completely broken. I have reported obvious fake sellers/business on private accounts over 3 months ago and nothing has happened. More buyers have received fake goods, are eBay happy that buyers are receiving fake sneakers? eBay should have a time frame of which they try and act upon each report, trying to fob us off just isnt good enough.

Also you say you can forward reports, yet your colleague in DM told me that they can not do this as they do not offer a one on one service, can you tell me who is correct and who isnt please as if you wish to step up to the plate for us and actively take the obvious accounts who are trading illegally I am more than happy to send you usernames.

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

marco@ebay Trust me, nothing is happening. Just went to check on a private seller selling duplicate new items and they are alive and kicking and selling well. I gave CS their user name, reported 10 duplicate posts individually (about 3 weeks ago) and nothing happens!

Luckily, they are not competing against me but that is not the point. We are getting fed up paying business fees when there are so many accounts who are blatantly trading illegally and on top of that, getting promotions. 

We abide by the rules and offer the best service we can and then are up against cowboys who can do what they like. It doesn't give Ebay a good name and affects all of our businesses.

Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

@hatsford wrote:

Its certainly not been resolved, its getting worse all the time, more and more orders are reappearing and refusing to go even if archived.  It now takes longer to mark an item as dispatched and upload tracking than it does to physically pack and post it.

3 to post?  open it up and that jumps to 13 (actually its only 2)

Fullscreen capture 26072023 123133.bmp.jpgFullscreen capture 26072023 123112.bmp.jpg

Thanks for your reply, hatsford.

If you PM me a couple of examples, I can report this to our IT team, so they can investigate that for you.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

@cobwebcottage wrote:

Hi,

I am having issues leaving feedback this week. It says, we ran in to a problem, and when I do it a second time, it says, you have already left feedback for this item.

Also, for a long time now, I get duplicate e mails informing me an item has been received at Litchfield and again when it has been delivered.

Hi @cobwebcottage 

The issue with feedback is a known issue on our side and tech are currently looking into a fix.  Ill add you to the bug report. 

I'm not aware of issues with the emails but Ill reach out the shipping team after the chat to see if its something they have come across.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

dave@ebay wrote:

@rainbowtrax wrote:

Hi @rainbowtrax 

The policy team will review all reports that are sent through the link you shared. We don't work in the policy team and can only forward any reports you sent through us. For the most part we don't have the bandwidth to take all your reports so it is best to continue reporting directly through the site.

It may not look like the are actioning these reports but all reports are taken seriously and the appropriate action will always be taken. 

Thanks,

Dave

... "so it is best to continue reporting directly through the site." As has already been stated, there is no point doing this as no action is taken.

"It may not look like the are actioning these reports but all reports are taken seriously and the appropriate action will always be taken. " No, Dave, the appropriate action to a report about an obvious unreg business seller is to make them register correctly. We can all see that this is not done, what other action could possibly be 'appropriate'?

Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

@mteconlineshop wrote:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, Order number 27-10243-82729 11-10251-78745 are just 2 at the top of the list

Thanks @mteconlineshop 

Leave this with me and I'll get the guys to look into it after the chat.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.