💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 24.08.22 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of kat@ebay , dave@ebay  and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

I sent a email to sellergrowthuk@ebay.com who are the team dealing with the VAT issue on Friday last week when I got back from holiday and so far no one has replied from ebay.

When are they going to get back to me with the issues I put forward to their package that they offered as compensation.

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

When listing sewing patterns (crafts-sewing-patterns) there is no category for patterns which are current ie, from the 2020s.  There a lots of sections for previous years but the latest date you can complete is 2010s.  A bit annoying if you have something from the last couple of years to list!  I put it forward as a suggestion months ago but nothing so far!

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

@never_defeated wrote:

When listing sewing patterns (crafts-sewing-patterns) there is no category for patterns which are current ie, from the 2020s.  There a lots of sections for previous years but the latest date you can complete is 2010s.  A bit annoying if you have something from the last couple of years to list!  I put it forward as a suggestion months ago but nothing so far!

Hi @never_defeated,

Thank you for sending this our way. Makes sense to me that there should be a 2020's decade option too. I'll send this to the item specifics team and when I hear back I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

I have had to contact support a few times recently and was told that each time I should get an email confirming the chat or supplying a link to the call if needed.  All I ever get is a satisfaction survey to complete.  Are links to the calls saved on "my file" to refer back to or do I need to keep a record myself?  Thanks

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

@never_defeated wrote:

I have had to contact support a few times recently and was told that each time I should get an email confirming the chat or supplying a link to the call if needed.  All I ever get is a satisfaction survey to complete.  Are links to the calls saved on "my file" to refer back to or do I need to keep a record myself?  Thanks

Hi @never_defeated,

Only for chat you will be sent a transcript. They get sent via the eBay messaging system but should also reach your email. Some email's may mark them as spam so it is best to check your eBay messages. 

We also keep record of calls/chats/emails made from your account on our side so a team member helping you can see any other interactions. If you would like a reference number for a call the team member will be able to provide you it but you shouldn't need it as we have everything on file.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

There seems to be a problem with some categories whereby they don't show in your shop if you view it on a different site such as .com.

My shop currently has 3763 items but if I view it on .com there's only 3265.

UK shopfront: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rainbowtrax 

.com shopfront: https://www.ebay.com/str/rainbowtrax 

This seems to be certain categories affected, eg all my games and jigsaw puzzles are missing even though they do show in .com search results. This is one example -

UK listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304580484685

Listing on .com: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304580484685 

Listing in search results of all sellers on .com: cottage garden 500 pc: Search Result | eBay 

Browse shop category UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rainbowtrax/TOYS-GAMES/_i.html?store_cat=213504219

Browse shop category .com: https://www.ebay.com/str/rainbowtrax/TOYS-GAMES/_i.html?store_cat=213504219

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Thanks Katie - common sense I think!!

Hope you get more luck than I have

Thanks

Clare

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Thanks Katie - that is brilliant news!!

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

@ukhaberdashery wrote:

I sent a email to sellergrowthuk@ebay.com who are the team dealing with the VAT issue on Friday last week when I got back from holiday and so far no one has replied from ebay.

When are they going to get back to me with the issues I put forward to their package that they offered as compensation.

Hi @ukhaberdashery 

I had a look into this from our side and I can see there were some attempts to contact you but they couldn't reach you. I'll reach out to them now to try and arrange a callback for you, I'll DM you as soon as I have an update.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Can I see the keywords from searches  that are driving customers to specific listing?

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

I don't want a callback, I want something in writing to my email address / ebay messages so there are no issues with what was said or not said. Too often with ebay there are issues (ie the vat one) where as a seller I want it down in writing in case of "problems".

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

@bohohomesldn wrote:

Can I see the keywords from searches  that are driving customers to specific listing?

Hi @bohohomesldn,

There is no keyword list exactly on a listing. 

However, the main keywords that are used in search results are the first three words of a title and then the options selected in the item specifics. 

Many thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

I'm sure by now you are aware of the issue where eBay are incorrectly adding VAT onto UK-UK listings in the coins and fine art categories.

Obviously this is a major concern as it is 

(a) illegal

(b) forcing buyers to pay 20% more than they should do on buy it now listings

(c) causig sellers to receive 20% less than they should on auction listings (as buyers will bid less)

So I have some questions

(a) when will this be fixed - obviously with eBay acting illegally, it should be a priority but its been ongoing for a week with no sign of eBay understanding it

(b) what will happen to the additional money that has been overpaid?  Are buyers and/or sellers goign to receive a refund? or is ebay just going to keep it and profit from their mistakes?

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

@jreg-fuchsias wrote:

I'm sure by now you are aware of the issue where eBay are incorrectly adding VAT onto UK-UK listings in the coins and fine art categories.

Obviously this is a major concern as it is 

(a) illegal

(b) forcing buyers to pay 20% more than they should do on buy it now listings

(c) causig sellers to receive 20% less than they should on auction listings (as buyers will bid less)

So I have some questions

(a) when will this be fixed - obviously with eBay acting illegally, it should be a priority but its been ongoing for a week with no sign of eBay understanding it

(b) what will happen to the additional money that has been overpaid?  Are buyers and/or sellers goign to receive a refund? or is ebay just going to keep it and profit from their mistakes?

Hi @jreg-fuchsias,

Thank you for your message. This is a known issue our teams are currently working. I have been updating this thread on the community and recommend keeping an eye out there as I will continue to share any updates I get.

The issue we are seeing is that the price is displayed wrong on the search results page and on the listing page. However, when the buyer puts the item in their basket the price corrects itself. We have not seen any reports of buyers being charged the incorrect amount. We understand it can be off-putting for the buyer to be shown the incorrect price so we are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax wrote:

There seems to be a problem with some categories whereby they don't show in your shop if you view it on a different site such as .com.

My shop currently has 3763 items but if I view it on .com there's only 3265.

UK shopfront: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rainbowtrax 

.com shopfront: https://www.ebay.com/str/rainbowtrax 

This seems to be certain categories affected, eg all my games and jigsaw puzzles are missing even though they do show in .com search results. This is one example -

UK listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304580484685

Listing on .com: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304580484685 

Listing in search results of all sellers on .com: cottage garden 500 pc: Search Result | eBay 

Browse shop category UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rainbowtrax/TOYS-GAMES/_i.html?store_cat=213504219

Browse shop category .com: https://www.ebay.com/str/rainbowtrax/TOYS-GAMES/_i.html?store_cat=213504219

Hi @rainbowtrax 

Ive seen this sometimes happen if the category from one site doesn't exist on the other. The items wont show in a passive search as in total items but if you search for the item its found. They can also take little longer to index across the two sites. So newly listed items might not be showing yet.

There's quite a few in the difference on your account though so let me take this one offline and I'll look through the two shops. 

Ill get back to you in the next 24hrs on this one.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Hi @never_defeated,

I know it's been a little while since we spoke here but I have great news.

Due to this weekly chat they have added the decade 2020's to the item specifics for your category!

Delighted we could get some real change made. Please tag me in a post or via private message if you have any questions as this chat is closed.

Thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.