Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 24.04.24 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of dave@ebay and marco@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

After contacting you last week about selling CBD oil, and not getting any reply in over 8 weeks, I got a reply within 2 days, so thankyou for that, it was very much appreciated.

However, here is the reply, and after 21 years with ebay, registered as a business seller, and living in the UK, I got the following message.

Dear Seller, 

Thank you for expressing your interest in selling in our restricted categories on eBay. 

After careful consideration of your account unfortunately, we are unable to proceed with your application currently. There are several factors that are taken into consideration when reviewing each application. Unfortunately, we are unable to disclose all the criteria at this time.

1: You MUST have an ebay business account 
2: You are registered to the UK 
3: Your account is in good standing with eBay  

We would like to express our appreciation for your commitment to selling on eBay. 

I am, absolutely astounded at this as I have feedback of over 47,000 and maintain at least a 99.9% satisfaction. However, it is alright for one seller to be approved who only has a feedback score of 13 (Thirteen) and only 93% satisfaction rating, but of course that is perfectly OK – so why is a seller with 13 feedback being preferred over a long established seller ??

Seller there is hempwelluk

How on earth am I supposed to improve my account standing, when ebay will not say why my account is not of good enough standing to apply ….. at least give me a clue as to why I was rejected, that way I can make an effort to improve where I am failing …..

It is strange, but after talking to Amazon, they were more than happy for me to sell with them,.. ? And I think this underlies where ebay fails …. Here is a reply, I cannot question it, and I cannot speak to anyone about it, and I cannot apply again, and I cannot be told why they came to this decision.

Well, needless to say that if my account is not of Good Enough Standing to sell CBD oil, then I cannot see how my account can be of Good Standing to sell anything else with you, so with regret, I am no longer listing new items with ebay and as my stock sells out any new stock will only be listed on my account on Amazon, who have bent over backwards to be of assistance.

This is the biggest kick in the teeth I have ever had from ebay and I stayed with you for 21 years….More Fool Me !

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Hi

I relisted some items at the weekend to take advantage of the 80% off FVFs offer.  Some of the items were vintage/pre-owned clothes.  I was surprised that these items of clothing counted against my 100 listings with 80% off FVFs.  As far as I am aware, that should not be the case as pre-owned clothing now has zero selling fees.  Can you get this looked at please?

An example item number is 196355143788

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

@candy90_1 wrote:

After contacting you last week about selling CBD oil, and not getting any reply in over 8 weeks, I got a reply within 2 days, so thankyou for that, it was very much appreciated.

However, here is the reply, and after 21 years with ebay, registered as a business seller, and living in the UK, I got the following message.

Dear Seller, 

Thank you for expressing your interest in selling in our restricted categories on eBay. 

After careful consideration of your account unfortunately, we are unable to proceed with your application currently. There are several factors that are taken into consideration when reviewing each application. Unfortunately, we are unable to disclose all the criteria at this time.

1: You MUST have an ebay business account 
2: You are registered to the UK 
3: Your account is in good standing with eBay  

We would like to express our appreciation for your commitment to selling on eBay. 

I am, absolutely astounded at this as I have feedback of over 47,000 and maintain at least a 99.9% satisfaction. However, it is alright for one seller to be approved who only has a feedback score of 13 (Thirteen) and only 93% satisfaction rating, but of course that is perfectly OK – so why is a seller with 13 feedback being preferred over a long established seller ??

Seller there is hempwelluk

How on earth am I supposed to improve my account standing, when ebay will not say why my account is not of good enough standing to apply ….. at least give me a clue as to why I was rejected, that way I can make an effort to improve where I am failing …..

It is strange, but after talking to Amazon, they were more than happy for me to sell with them,.. ? And I think this underlies where ebay fails …. Here is a reply, I cannot question it, and I cannot speak to anyone about it, and I cannot apply again, and I cannot be told why they came to this decision.

Well, needless to say that if my account is not of Good Enough Standing to sell CBD oil, then I cannot see how my account can be of Good Standing to sell anything else with you, so with regret, I am no longer listing new items with ebay and as my stock sells out any new stock will only be listed on my account on Amazon, who have bent over backwards to be of assistance.

This is the biggest kick in the teeth I have ever had from ebay and I stayed with you for 21 years….More Fool Me !

Hi candy90_1, thanks for your message.

I am sorry to hear that your application was declined. However, all accounts are reviewed before they can be approved for selling certain items. If our team has taken this decision, I am afraid that we wouldn't be able to change this outcome. If you wish, you can put another application through providing as much information as you can, but please note that this doesn't guarantee you that the application will be granted this time.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Hi @jckl1957 

You wont be charged any fees for listing pre-owned clothing but when you sign up for the promo it will come off the next 100 eligible listings. 

These pomo's usually cover the entire site bar the ineligible categories so it so you should list any items that aren't pre-owned clothing till you've used the balance of the promo. 

Ive sent the example up to the promo team to see if there's a way to block the condition from future promos. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

That is useful to know.  Thank you very much dave@ebay 

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Afternoon guys - Can you please look into a suggestion that I believe would benefit sellers. At the moment we can choose, under Buyer Requirements, to block buyers who have cancellations; don’t have an address in a location we post to; or have bought a number of items in the last few days.

Whilst this is helpful; I think it would be a benefit if the options could be expanded to included; buyers who have opened x number of Item not received cases in the last x days (or % of transactions) and also those that have left x number of negative or neutral feedbacks in the last x days (or % of transactions).

Also, instead of just been able to block a buyer, could there be an option to block an address as I know that some fellow sellers have had buyers from multiple accounts even when they have blocked the original buyer.

Some buyers seem to be really unlucky with items going astray and the feedback they leave indicates it happens frequently. As a seller it would be useful to have the option to exclude buyers in that category before entering into a relationship and opening the seller up to losses.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Could it be possibly looked into to see if there is a problem with the system of reporting businesses trading on Ebay as private sellers?

I have followed the recommendations given on these boards by Ebay staff and multiple accounts that I have reported, some months ago, are still trading on Ebay as private sellers despite clearly being businesses - some using business and shop names in their Ebay names and descriptions. 

It cannot be a case that these people have been decided by Ebay to be private individuals, because they are not, so is the system functioning correctly?

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Good afternoon

I hope this messsage will not be deleted as it is not a question this time.

It is just to say thank you for now starting to look at ebays EDD'S.  I have had contact from the shipping team and spoke to some ebay staff at the roadshow too.  I have supplied evidence and I do hope that someone in ebay will listen and see the problems sellers are facing.

Once again thank you.

Best wishes

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

@jamjartoys wrote:

Afternoon guys - Can you please look into a suggestion that I believe would benefit sellers. At the moment we can choose, under Buyer Requirements, to block buyers who have cancellations; don’t have an address in a location we post to; or have bought a number of items in the last few days.

Whilst this is helpful; I think it would be a benefit if the options could be expanded to included; buyers who have opened x number of Item not received cases in the last x days (or % of transactions) and also those that have left x number of negative or neutral feedbacks in the last x days (or % of transactions).

Also, instead of just been able to block a buyer, could there be an option to block an address as I know that some fellow sellers have had buyers from multiple accounts even when they have blocked the original buyer.

Some buyers seem to be really unlucky with items going astray and the feedback they leave indicates it happens frequently. As a seller it would be useful to have the option to exclude buyers in that category before entering into a relationship and opening the seller up to losses.

Hi jamjartoys, thanks for your message.

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing this with us. I've just passed this on for you, so this can be taken into consideration for future updates. Anything else, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

@lincolnshiremarine wrote:

Good afternoon

I hope this messsage will not be deleted as it is not a question this time.

It is just to say thank you for now starting to look at ebays EDD'S.  I have had contact from the shipping team and spoke to some ebay staff at the roadshow too.  I have supplied evidence and I do hope that someone in ebay will listen and see the problems sellers are facing.

Once again thank you.

Best wishes

Hi lincolnshiremarine, thanks for your message.

No problem at all, happy to see that you're seeing progress on this. Anything else, please feel free to let us know and we'll continue to pass your feedback on.

Have a good one,

Marco

eBay
Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

Could it be possibly looked into to see if there is a problem with the system of reporting businesses trading on Ebay as private sellers?

I have followed the recommendations given on these boards by Ebay staff and multiple accounts that I have reported, some months ago, are still trading on Ebay as private sellers despite clearly being businesses - some using business and shop names in their Ebay names and descriptions. 

It cannot be a case that these people have been decided by Ebay to be private individuals, because they are not, so is the system functioning correctly?

Hi @vintagewatchpart 

There are no issues with the reporting tool. 

There could be a number of reasons you haven't seen any changes after you report an account. For example, the policy team may have given the account holder some time to make some requested changes. They could also have asked the account holders for some more information and they are working through it. 

This can sometimes take some time to process so it could be why you aren't seeing any changes with these accounts. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Hi,

A number of my customers are having issues when trying to add more than one item to their basket.

We sell mainly personalised items so each item the details change, so they cannot change the quantity to more than one.

For example a customer wanted to purchase 4 lots of custom printed ribbon, she entered the details for one of them and added it to her basket. When she went back on the listing the "add to basket" button had changed to "view basket" so she was unable to add more than the one item to her basket. 

We tried this for ourselves and can confirm that once an item has been added to the basket the "add to basket" button chnages to "View basket" meaning you cannot add more than one item to the basket. 

Due to postage discount we have it is not feasable for customers to check out then enter details for the next and checkout etc as they will be charged extra for postage.

Please can this be looked into?

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

@ak_craft_crazy wrote:

Hi,

A number of my customers are having issues when trying to add more than one item to their basket.

We sell mainly personalised items so each item the details change, so they cannot change the quantity to more than one.

For example a customer wanted to purchase 4 lots of custom printed ribbon, she entered the details for one of them and added it to her basket. When she went back on the listing the "add to basket" button had changed to "view basket" so she was unable to add more than the one item to her basket. 

We tried this for ourselves and can confirm that once an item has been added to the basket the "add to basket" button chnages to "View basket" meaning you cannot add more than one item to the basket. 

Due to postage discount we have it is not feasable for customers to check out then enter details for the next and checkout etc as they will be charged extra for postage.

Please can this be looked into?

Hi ak_craft_crazy, thanks for your question.

Yes, we can definitely look into this for you. Could you please share the item numbers, for the example you've just shared with us, so we can take a further look?

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Gents good afternoon!

this may be more a suggestion. We are experiencing a bout of non payers at present however from only certain countries. The instant payment feature we have turned off for good reasons, but can it or in a future update be possible to turn the feature on by buyer from a certain country? Eg any buyer from say Thailand has to pay instantly, where as if you are in Australia for example you don't. It would certainly help us eradicate this current wave of non payers. And yes we cancel their orders correctly to ensure they get a strike on their accounts.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

Gents good afternoon!

this may be more a suggestion. We are experiencing a bout of non payers at present however from only certain countries. The instant payment feature we have turned off for good reasons, but can it or in a future update be possible to turn the feature on by buyer from a certain country? Eg any buyer from say Thailand has to pay instantly, where as if you are in Australia for example you don't. It would certainly help us eradicate this current wave of non payers. And yes we cancel their orders correctly to ensure they get a strike on their accounts.

Hey tommystrezures, thanks for your question.

No, at the moment it wouldn't be possible to block a buyer based on their location. However, I will be happy to pass this on for you, so this can be taken into consideration. Anything else you might want to suggest, please let us know.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.