Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 11.10.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay and anita@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 41
See Most Recent
40 REPLIES 40

Hi ebay community team, firstly I am not looking for any legal advice or support.
I just want ask what steps ebay is taking to make sellers aware of the HUGE FLOOD of U.S LAWSUITS being brought against genuine ebay sellers, it seems mainly those that are signed up to ebays Global Shipping Programme and allowing their products to be sold in America.
These U.S Cowboy Lawyers are raising Intellectual Property Rights Cases over everything and anything (including words in descriptions) to scare people into paying them or they will get ebay to close their accounts. As a result 1000s of sellers have TURNED OFF U.S sales on their G.S.P settings to prevent further extortion.

I would like to know ebays response to losing a huge volume in sales to the U.S from sellers all over the world?
Thanks
Rod@RodsRetros

Message 2 of 41
See Most Recent

Hi ebay community team, can you please find out what is going on with the Black-Friday 20% Seller Invite. I have spent all morning talking to various customer service representatives from ebay who had no clue why the link sent by ebay wasnt working. Only to be told at the end that lots of Sellers are now reporting this....this seems to have been fixed by the Backend Promotions team....only to find Zero Invites in the coupon Portal? I think somebody in this team (or maybe all of them) have been asleep.

It does not bode well for the actual sale itself!
Thanks
Rod

Message 3 of 41
See Most Recent

Good afternoon!

(On my other account) A buyer bought 7 items last night. They paid for 6 together and one separately (the 2 orders were paid for a couple of minutes apart).

My postage is set to pay full price for 1 item + 60p for every extra item, with a total cap at £2.90.

The 6 items showed postage at £2.90 - correct price.
However, the item paid for separately showed 60p postage - which was incorrect, the postage on this item was just over twice that price.

I did wonder if, although the buyer paid separately, it was picked up automatically that the 7 items were one transaction ... but in that case postage should have been 'free' for the single item.

Also I was charged the 30p fixed fee on each order, so it was obviously treating them as 2 sales.

So, why was the buyer only charged 60p (my '+ each extra item' price) instead of the full postage?

My main worry here is that if she had paid for each of the 7 items separately, but still got the postage discount, she would have paid 2.90 postage, and I would have been hit with and extra 1.80 in fixed fees, leaving me well out of pocket.
Surely the postage discount should only apply when items are paid for in one go?

Message 4 of 41
See Most Recent

@rodsretros wrote:

Hi ebay community team, firstly I am not looking for any legal advice or support.
I just want ask what steps ebay is taking to make sellers aware of the HUGE FLOOD of U.S LAWSUITS being brought against genuine ebay sellers, it seems mainly those that are signed up to ebays Global Shipping Programme and allowing their products to be sold in America.
These U.S Cowboy Lawyers are raising Intellectual Property Rights Cases over everything and anything (including words in descriptions) to scare people into paying them or they will get ebay to close their accounts. As a result 1000s of sellers have TURNED OFF U.S sales on their G.S.P settings to prevent further extortion.

I would like to know ebays response to losing a huge volume in sales to the U.S from sellers all over the world?
Thanks
Rod@RodsRetros

Hi rodsretros, thanks for your post.

We are not legal experts, so we wouldn't comment anything on the legal side of things.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 41
See Most Recent

Hi Marco@ebay , thank you but I DID state I DO NOT want any legal advice or support.

I would like to know if ebay is making an announcement to let sellers know....or are they happy to lose lots of sales.....and shut down genuine sellers because of a U.S loophole? 

Thanks

Rod

Message 6 of 41
See Most Recent

Hi, I ask this question out of genuine concern not to be critical.

I have been trading on Ebay for 22 years, and never has it been so bad.

My question is how do we as sellers get the powers that be at Ebay to listen to us?

If you look at the business seller board, there are loads of established sellers who feel they cannot continue to trade on Ebay for much longer due to the lack of sales.  Lots have said they will be closing down on here.

But as sellers we can see why things are so bad.         

*Buyers get annoyed at false promises of ridiculous delivery times.

*Sellers are being forced to advertise to get their items seen, but when you sell low cost items this is not viable. Suggested rates for lots of my items are around 12.5%. I would be in major deficit to pay these rates. And no one would buy if I increased my prices to cover that amount.

*Underhanded sellers are making variation listings starting at 99p or a silly low price with a product they do not have in stock, so that they show in the lowest price sort.

* Search does not work properly. Someone commented the other day it’s like Ebay hide our products under the counter so no one can see them.

But when we raise these issues, we just get copied and pasted replies.  It feels like we are beating our heads against a brick wall. So please what can we as small business owners do to tell Ebay what we need in order to keep trading.

Personally, I am down around 50% on previous years. I cannot continue to trade if this trend does not change. I’ve done all the things suggested to me – ending dead listings, making new listings, checking all the item specifics etc. I am paying for ads on 90% of my items. Nothing works.

Thank you

Message 7 of 41
See Most Recent

My Ebay account and business Click and Drop account with Royal Mail are linked, and usually the tracking number automatically updates. However, a number of my items this is not happening. I have contacted Royal Mail and this is their reply. So, it seems to be an issue with Ebay. Please can you help?

Thank you for your email and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and for the late response to your email.

‘We will attempt to mark your orders as despatched in your eBay store every 60 minutes between 09:00 and 17:00, and every 105 minutes between 17:00 and 09:00, this should only happen after manifesting. There may sometimes be occasions when eBay has not responded to our attempts to update the status of your orders. If this occurs to one of your orders, Click & Drop will automatically attempt to send the request again after 4 hours. ‘

Message 8 of 41
See Most Recent

@rodsretros wrote:

Hi ebay community team, can you please find out what is going on with the Black-Friday 20% Seller Invite. I have spent all morning talking to various customer service representatives from ebay who had no clue why the link sent by ebay wasnt working. Only to be told at the end that lots of Sellers are now reporting this....this seems to have been fixed by the Backend Promotions team....only to find Zero Invites in the coupon Portal? I think somebody in this team (or maybe all of them) have been asleep.

It does not bode well for the actual sale itself!
Thanks
Rod

Hi rodsretros, thanks for your question.

I will escalate this with the promotions team, and I will provide you with an update here as soon as I hear baack from them.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 9 of 41
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

Good afternoon!

(On my other account) A buyer bought 7 items last night. They paid for 6 together and one separately (the 2 orders were paid for a couple of minutes apart).

My postage is set to pay full price for 1 item + 60p for every extra item, with a total cap at £2.90.

However, the item paid for separately showed 60p postage - which was incorrect, the postage on this item was just over twice that price.

I did wonder if, although the buyer paid separately, it was picked up automatically that the 7 items were one transaction ... but in that case postage should have been 'free' for the single item.

Also I was charged the 30p fixed fee on each order, so it was obviously treating them as 2 sales.

So, why was the buyer only charged 60p (my '+ each extra item' price) instead of the full postage?

My main worry here is that if she had paid for each of the 7 items separately, but still got the postage discount, she would have paid 2.90 postage, and I would have been hit with and extra 1.80 in fixed fees, leaving me well out of pocket.
Surely the postage discount should only apply when items are paid for in one go?

Hi kempseykate, thanks for your post.

If you share with me a screenshot of the wrong postage charged to your buyer, and the item number, I can report this to our IT, so that can be reviewed. 

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 41
See Most Recent

@rodsretros wrote:

Hi Marco@ebay , thank you but I DID state I DO NOT want any legal advice or support.

I would like to know if ebay is making an announcement to let sellers know....or are they happy to lose lots of sales.....and shut down genuine sellers because of a U.S loophole? 

Thanks

Rod

Thanks for your reply, rodsretros

I understand you didn't ask for legal advice or support. However, we still wouldn't comment on the legal side of things.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 11 of 41
See Most Recent

@louisianna wrote:

Hi, I ask this question out of genuine concern not to be critical.

I have been trading on Ebay for 22 years, and never has it been so bad.

My question is how do we as sellers get the powers that be at Ebay to listen to us?

If you look at the business seller board, there are loads of established sellers who feel they cannot continue to trade on Ebay for much longer due to the lack of sales.  Lots have said they will be closing down on here.

But as sellers we can see why things are so bad.         

*Buyers get annoyed at false promises of ridiculous delivery times.

*Sellers are being forced to advertise to get their items seen, but when you sell low cost items this is not viable. Suggested rates for lots of my items are around 12.5%. I would be in major deficit to pay these rates. And no one would buy if I increased my prices to cover that amount.

*Underhanded sellers are making variation listings starting at 99p or a silly low price with a product they do not have in stock, so that they show in the lowest price sort.

* Search does not work properly. Someone commented the other day it’s like Ebay hide our products under the counter so no one can see them.

But when we raise these issues, we just get copied and pasted replies.  It feels like we are beating our heads against a brick wall. So please what can we as small business owners do to tell Ebay what we need in order to keep trading.

Personally, I am down around 50% on previous years. I cannot continue to trade if this trend does not change. I’ve done all the things suggested to me – ending dead listings, making new listings, checking all the item specifics etc. I am paying for ads on 90% of my items. Nothing works.

Thank you

Hi louisianna, thanks for your post.

I see where you are coming from, I will be happy to pass your feedback on, so this can be taken into consideration. Please note that it is within eBay's best interest that all sellers are selling, so we wouldn't take any actions could potentially affect sellers sales. Historically, this is a relative quiet period in terms of sales, as most buyers are saving for Christmas or waiting for Black Friday sales.

Having said this, please feel free to share any feedback you may have at any time and we will make sure to pass it on.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 12 of 41
See Most Recent

@louisianna wrote:

My Ebay account and business Click and Drop account with Royal Mail are linked, and usually the tracking number automatically updates. However, a number of my items this is not happening. I have contacted Royal Mail and this is their reply. So, it seems to be an issue with Ebay. Please can you help?

Thank you for your email and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and for the late response to your email.

‘We will attempt to mark your orders as despatched in your eBay store every 60 minutes between 09:00 and 17:00, and every 105 minutes between 17:00 and 09:00, this should only happen after manifesting. There may sometimes be occasions when eBay has not responded to our attempts to update the status of your orders. If this occurs to one of your orders, Click & Drop will automatically attempt to send the request again after 4 hours. ‘

Hi louisianna, thanks for your post.

Normally, these updates would come from the Royal Mail website, if they are not being reflected on your eBay account, the issue is more than likely from Royal Mail's end. However, happy to report this for you just in case and to be safe that this issue is not from our end, if you share a few screenshots and items number, so we can replicate this issue, I will report it to our tech team, so they can have a look.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 13 of 41
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

@kempseykate wrote:

Good afternoon!

If you share with me a screenshot of the wrong postage charged to your buyer, and the item number, I can report this to our IT, so that can be reviewed. 

Thank you,

Marco

DM sent, thank you!

Message 14 of 41
See Most Recent

Good afternoon

Can I please ask why eBay..

1) Encourage buyers to open INR cases at the earliest opportunities by sending messages?

2) Why eBay punish sellers with 'strikes' on their service metrics for INR cases that are opened even when tracking shows delivery PRIOR to the case being opened?

3) Why eBay allow buyers to even open INR cases when tracking shows delivery?

Many thanks.

Message 15 of 41
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

marco@ebay wrote:

@kempseykate wrote:

Good afternoon!

Thank you,

Marco

DM sent, thank you!

Thank you, kempseykate

I will report this for you, and update you here when the tech team gets back to me on this. 

Thanks,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 41
See Most Recent

I listed an item for sale yesterday evening and I noticed when I search my account that the listing is not visible. The listing also does not appear by copying and pasting the exact title into eBay's search. 

The item number is 314880923139. 

Please can you let me know what the reason for this would be so that I can either fix it or just take the listing down. 

I noticed when I did a search for that product on eBay terapeak that it automatically filters results for 'very good' so my initial assumption was that as my listing is graded good, eBay don't want it and are hiding. 

Either that or it is something else such as that the item has 'sword' in the title.

As you can see this is a cheap £5.99 listing and my eBay shop is thin as I haven't been listing. I have better things to do than second guess why some items aren't being seen. I echo some of the issues Louisianna has cited above as reasons why I have switched my focus from eBay to elsewhere as I am dissilusioned with the site at the moment.  When I take the time to make a listing live and it is invisible to buyers it seems like a complete waste of time. 

Message 17 of 41
See Most Recent

Thanks Marco,

I would greatly appreicate it if you would share it.

Unforturnately this has been the case since early this year.

Message 18 of 41
See Most Recent

@goingfishinguk wrote:

Good afternoon

Can I please ask why eBay..

1) Encourage buyers to open INR cases at the earliest opportunities by sending messages?

2) Why eBay punish sellers with 'strikes' on their service metrics for INR cases that are opened even when tracking shows delivery PRIOR to the case being opened?

3) Why eBay allow buyers to even open INR cases when tracking shows delivery?

Many thanks.

Hi goingfishinguk, thanks for your post.

1.- This because as a buyer, the sooner you get your case resolved, the better your buying experience is.

2.- If an item is dispatched and delivered within the correct time frames, you won't receive a defect. If you did, you can request a removal for that defect.

3.- As you may know, sometimes tracking information show items as delivered, but sometimes buyers reports that they haven't received them. While we go with the tracking information, we still let them open a case, so they can communicate with their seller, and try to work something out if at all possible. 

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 19 of 41
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

I see where you are coming from, I will be happy to pass your feedback on, so this can be taken into consideration. Please note that it is within eBay's best interest that all sellers are selling, so we wouldn't take any actions could potentially affect sellers sales. Historically, this is a relative quiet period in terms of sales, as most buyers are saving for Christmas or waiting for Black Friday sales.

Hi, sales are absolutely terrible and the economy or time of year seems to be having little impact on the other platforms I sell on so I assume it's down to eBay.

I seem capped at 25 sales per day (yes I have the data to back that up,) no matter what I do.  I've followed all the advice, watched all the videos, cleaned my cache etc etc etc and nothing seems to work.  Like I said the other selling platforms are fine.  

On the forums this 'hiding' of listings (yes I've proof of it - please take my word for it as producing screen shots here seems to do little positive) and problems with the search facility (many posts here about it and on the newer Expressions platform seem to be the problem. 

So my question is are eBay going to fix the search facility or leave it as it is? 

If it's the latter a great number of sellers will leave as already outlined in many forum posts here.  Many thanks.

Message 20 of 41
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.