problem with a new old stock item - advice welcome

Hello, I hope someone can advise me re this

I have lots of slendertone devices and recently bought a brand new slendertone controller

The controllers are little portale battery packs that have a special attachment that fits into the various devices.  

Slendertone went into liquidation over loackdown and so I am trying to make sure I have enough controllers and chargers to use with my various devices, which are useless without the controllers. 

The item was listed as brand new and it was brand new in the box

The problem is that when I tried to charge it the battery was dead 

I have other controlers that I had to replace the batteries for but the batteries are expensive, around the £20 mark

The battery inside the controller I bought expired in 2023 (I took a photo) so it was an old item but brand new

The seller was I think selling an old new stock item in good faith, I paid £21 which would have been a good price if new and working

I'm just wondering what others would do in this situation as, with the replacement battery the controller is going to be double the price I paid for it

Is there an etiquette one follows in this situation?

An imporant factor is that the controllers and chargers have delicate connections that wear out over time, so I'm happy to keep the item and replace the battery but was wondering whether it would be OK to ask the seller for a partial refund?

Should I just suck it up and put it down to experience?

I'm just wondering what others would do

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the seller should have been clear when their item dated from so you could make an informed decision.   Ask about a partial refund or decide if you prefer to return it for a full refund.    A "not as described" return would cover it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

I think the seller should have been clear when their item dated from so you could make an informed decision.   Ask about a partial refund or decide if you prefer to return it for a full refund.    A "not as described" return would cover it. 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

If it's a new item you would expect it to work.

Open a return using the reason "item is defective" or "doesn't match discription or photos".

You will have to add a photo to be able to continue.

But if you can't take a photo just copy the one from the listing as the automated system can't tell what's in the photos.

The seller will have 3 business days to provide a return label, partially refund or refund without returning.

But if they don't cooperate you escalate the case.

An "ask us to step in" link will appear on the case after the 3 business days is up.

You can also start a return from this help page.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you  peaseblossom slight_smile

I will ask about a partial refund
I have bought other used controllers that work well so it was disappointing to have to sort out a replacement battery 
Thanks again and please excuse the typos, running late and have a train to catch soon 

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you douglaspuglas

Much appreciated slight_smile

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: