just bought on eBay and I saw suddenly a “UK VAT added to price” for the first time is this correct

Hi,

I just bought an item on eBay and I saw added to the final price before payment a "UK VAT added to price" to a value of 20%. I have never seen that before in more than 18 years on eBay. The seller is in UK and I am also in UK. Is this correct and have I really to pay it?

thanks.

Lau

Message 1 of 231
See Most Recent
230 REPLIES 230

just bought on eBay and I saw suddenly a “UK VAT added to price” for the first time is this correct

There is no added VAT on GB >< NI  UK  sales ... however even if the Item is showing as located in the UK,  20% import VAT is added if the Buyer or Seller is based or registered outside the UK site.

Message 41 of 231
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m live in Northern Ireland and I’m buying items from England and I’m
getting taxed 20% on everything I purchase bought a item for a item for
12.99 ended up paying 15.60 it’s not really fair as eBay is quick to say
you commit to buy the item but not the extra in vat I alway thought
Northern Ireland was except from paying tax from England
Message 42 of 231
See Most Recent

Hi, I think eBay is really letting everyone down here - I now tend to look on Amazon first and if the item is not available there, Then and only then do I go to eBay - I have been buying on eBay since 2001   !!!!  They are putting people off by failing to be fair - as a result, I vote with my money !

If they don`t sort this out they will loes out BIG TIME. 

Message 43 of 231
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agree they really need to put the tax on top of the sellers
listing as you think your getting a bargain then look at your invoice with
20% added it is a shame as you can really pick up some good items at a
great price , I really don’t no we’re I stand in Northern Ireland seem to
be getting hammered with all countries even from the EU and now uk it’s
gonna be the situation we’re people are just not gonna buy any items coming
from NI and vise versa just buy items within England eBay are gonna be out
a lot of money
Message 44 of 231
See Most Recent

To everyone on this subject - Just to make it clear - I do NOT object to paying vat, what I DO object to is being told AFTER the purchase and being put in an impossible position and left feeling conned/robbed/duped, especially if the add clearly states " vat included " - It leaves a bad taste in ones mouth, if an item is £3 £50 £500 or whatever and I agree to pay that price that`s fine - BUT  not for it to be added AFTER the purchase !! 

Message 45 of 231
See Most Recent

I've challednged Ebay over this very issue - the fact that the costs are not displayed up-front at the point of sale before purchase, only a suggestion that VAT might apply. As far as I know the UK trading standards stipulate this, but then again these guys aren't in the UK... Here's the standard Ebay reply I got which obviously shows that they still don't get it:

Hello Carl,

Thank you for writing back to eBay and sharing the screenshot.  

Carl, I am sorry for the inconvenience you have faced in this matter. However, I would like to share that VAT details are always mentioned on the listing page.

Also you can see this details under "Postage and payment " section, where it is mentioned that "Price displayed includes VAT. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address".

On the screenshot you have shared you can check that the subtotal amount is showing as £5.75 (adding 20% vat) and postage cost is £1.80 (adding 20% vat), total amount = £7.52

Where as on order details page you see the breakdown of same amount:

Subtotal- £4.77

Postage- £1.50

VAT- £1.25

Total= £7.52

In the both the case the total amount is same. So there is no hidden charges. It is totally upto seller whether they shown item price including VAT or excluding VAT. So two types of disclaimers are added by seller on the listing page:

"Price displayed includes VAT. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address".

"VAT may apply. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address".

So need to check this things before placing the order. Rest assured nothing is hidden on eBay, everything is transparent.

So this VAT is charged by UK government for importing the item from outside UK. But if you are not comfortable in paying this charges then you can surely ask the seller to cancel the sale as they have not dispatched the item yet.

I appreciate the opportunity to have helped you with this information. For further assistance, please feel free to get back to us, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind Regards

Message 46 of 231
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I’m thinking because of the COVID lockdown the government are trying to
get there money back as being taxed on every item on eBay this certainly
wasn’t mentioned wene people were going to the polling stations to come out
of the EU I can certainly live with small items I purchase being taxed but
expensive items at 1000 a extra 200 on top then you get eBay saying you
have committed to buying the item and most times on eBay if you do purchase
a item the and try and cancel it the seller just ignores you , so can you
please tell me why Northern Ireland is being hit with these charges I
always got the idea NI was except from any tax on goods coming from England
,so if I sell a amp for 1000 does that mean someone in England has to pay a
extra 200 for tax it’s a rip of people will just not bother buying and it’s
all down to the greedy tax man that’s ruining it for everyone that enjoys
buying and selling on eBay
Message 47 of 231
See Most Recent

The goventment ARE seeking ways to recoup the billions spent on the Covid-19 scandal.

I was subject to a 'Tax Assessment Compliance Check' which I wouldn't wish upon anyone (basically they will try and pull you apart, don't tell them anything more than they need to know). Some companies end up paying hundreds of thousands back, and they are named and shamed as 'Tax Evaders'.

I wonder if Amazon, Ebay, Google and Starbucks should have a compliance check?

Message 48 of 231
See Most Recent

VAT is still having to be paid on items even though "Seller's agents" in this country are acting for sellers abroad and vat is only brought up when at the payment point which is unfair to UK sellers!

Message 49 of 231
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree I would like to think eBay would total the tax up on the item
for sale before you commit to purchase the item as far as items are
purchased abroad from EU countries they usually say 19%tax added onto sale
I recently bought a item from Germany that had to go to Belgium then Dublin
and travel up to to Northern Ireland so the seller was not issued custom
fees although Northern Ireland was meant to be exempt from custom fees from
any country within the EU that was the agreement made in Brussels
Message 50 of 231
See Most Recent

`HMRC direct and they confirmed that items costing £15 or less from China are NOT LIABLE TO VAT.`

i`ve bid on a cd tonight from China, £9.80 opening bid with £4.20 postage and it states it is liable for £1.96 vat as well, so if HMRC are stateing that, somethings not right somwhere!

Message 51 of 231
See Most Recent

I bought a second-hand camera lens from a seller in Japan and was charged VAT on the item and the postage,

I have bought from Japan before without VAT being added.

HMRC say the item has a value even if it is secong-hand  - OK but under UK rules THERE IS NO VAT ON SECOND HAND ITEMS;  THERE IS NO VAT ON POSTAGE!

If this is the UK govt trying to collect tax fron ebay they have got it wrong - they are collecting tax from us!

Message 52 of 231
See Most Recent

Private Buyers of international purchases will have to pay 20% VAT

Also, depending on the value of the item, Customs Import Duty may be charged (this information is usually shown on the advert). 

NB - Sellers who are registered internationally, but the items are in the UK, will charge VAT.

Message 53 of 231
See Most Recent

@*knight-rider* wrote:

`HMRC direct and they confirmed that items costing £15 or less from China are NOT LIABLE TO VAT.`

i`ve bid on a cd tonight from China, £9.80 opening bid with £4.20 postage and it states it is liable for £1.96 vat as well, so if HMRC are stateing that, somethings not right somwhere!

That rule changed in January

VAT is now charged on ALL items from overseas regardless of value

The £15 limit was removed 8 months ago

HMRC have misinformed you 

Message 54 of 231
See Most Recent

@a.f.d wrote:

I bought a second-hand camera lens from a seller in Japan and was charged VAT on the item and the postage,

I have bought from Japan before without VAT being added.

HMRC say the item has a value even if it is secong-hand  - OK but under UK rules THERE IS NO VAT ON SECOND HAND ITEMS;  THERE IS NO VAT ON POSTAGE!

If this is the UK govt trying to collect tax fron ebay they have got it wrong - they are collecting tax from us!

VAT is payable on postage - it is a service that is subject to additional import VAT 

Message 55 of 231
See Most Recent

Valid UK and Isle of Man stamps are the payment for a postal service that is exempt from VAT.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/postage-stamps-and-philatelic-supplies-notice-7018

Message 56 of 231
See Most Recent

Well it seems like Ebay have failed to deal with this, specifically the need to display all charges up-front before committing to purchase, as required by UK trading law and Advertising Standards Authority guidelines.

Despite a letter from Ebay telling me that all charges are made clear before purchase they haven't done anything to address this, as the additional VAT charge appears after the transaction. As for them giving 'prior notice of additional charges' this does not seem to visible either.

The following screenshot shows an example which comes up with the 'UK supplier only' ticked on the search filter. The British Flag and the London delivery address SUGGEST that it is from the UK, and there is NO mention of VAT anywhere! Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393429093261

Message 57 of 231
See Most Recent

I think you must have just missed all the information very clearly displayed in the screenshot you displayed - The interesting point is you appear to be charged VAT Twice - once in the sellers price and once as legally required by VAT unless the net price is reduced by the VAT included which it should be 

As follows

NOTE:
Import duties, taxes and chargers are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding buying.

We are not responsible for any custom duty or import tax.

Business seller information
LONGYANJUJINXINXIJISHUYOUXIANGONGSI
Aidi Jiang
longgonglu10hao2zhuangchangfang101
xinluoqudongxiaozhen
364000 longyanshi
China

Taxes
Price displayed includes VAT. The final charge may be different depending on the delivery address. Learn more

Items delivered to the UK
Value Added Tax (VAT) generally applies to purchases by UK consumers, and prices on eBay.co.uk are shown inclusive of VAT.

How VAT is calculated
VAT is calculated on the order total including item price, shipping and any additional costs such as insurance.

The standard UK VAT rate is 20%, although reduced rates of 5% and 0% may apply to certain items as defined by the UK legislation. More information about UK VAT on gov.uk: VAT rates.

Goods shipped to the UK from abroad
Starting 1 January 2021, there will no longer be a VAT exemption for small consignments up to £15.

Instead, eBay is required to collect VAT on certain orders delivered to UK addresses:

Orders up to £135 sent from outside the UK
Orders where the item is located in the UK, but the seller is not a UK seller
For higher value items, VAT and duties are also likely to apply. However, VAT on purchases valued at over £135 will be payable directly to the UK customs authorities by the buyer.

How VAT appears at checkout
You'll see the VAT included in your order total at checkout, and you can view and download a tax invoice from the Order details page in your Purchase history.

Unless otherwise specified, eBay will apply discounts to the total order price, after VAT has been calculated.

Message 58 of 231
See Most Recent

I very much doubt that you will get any satisfaction from the seller .

Very dodgy .

Message 59 of 231
See Most Recent

eBay is required to collect VAT on certain orders delivered to UK addresses:

Orders up to £135 sent from outside the UK
For higher value items, VAT and duties are also likely to apply. However, VAT on purchases valued at over £135 will be payable directly to the UK customs authorities by the buyer.

VAT is charged on item + postage** but the £135 limit seems to be on item only?

You'll see the VAT included in your order total at checkout... I'm not entirely sure that always happens!

....and you can view and download a tax invoice from the Order details page in your Purchase history... well if you can I can't find it - nor is Ebay's VAT number prominently displayed anywhere

** According to HMRC website postage (stamps) and international  freight are BOTH ZERO RATED but Ebay is charging 20% VAT on them.

Message 60 of 231
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: