Wrong item delivered but didn't realise until 3 months after purchase

Bought an item back in October, have only just come to set it up.  Unfortunately it was the wrong item, seller had listed a different model to the one sent.  There is no way to raise a case with eBay as it's beyond the limit.  I have tried messaging the seller who has so far ignored me.  

They are a registered business seller, is there a way I can get their details from ebay so I can take the issue up with Trading Standards?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

As it's within 6 months just notify your payment provider that you wish a refund because it's the wrong item.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

The seller's address has to be on their listings if they are a registered business seller.

Find their selling page and look at 'About'.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, their number is not valid but it gives me an address I can pursue them on.  I would have thought eBay would have a better mechanism to redress things beyond 30 days though.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

If you paid by PayPal you have up to 180 days, from when you paid, to open a case in their resolution centre.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

@jameshughes12345 wrote:

Thanks for that, their number is not valid but it gives me an address I can pursue them on.  I would have thought eBay would have a better mechanism to redress things beyond 30 days though.

Legally eBay doesn't have to provide any mechanism.  The 30 day money back guarantee is a bonus for buyers.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Why should eBay have to extend the generous period of 30 days to compensate buyers who cannot be bothered to check the goods upon receipt?

Now 3 months have passed and you instead want to make a complaint to Trading Standards?

I said before that your best recourse is to get refunded via your payment provider.

You should have the good grace to return the item at your own expense after the length of time you have taken to raise the issue.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

There may be no  legal requirement, but they are basically allowing rogue traders on their platform.  I have been stung before on software which I will no longer purchase from Ebay.  It would benefit everybody if there was at least a mechanism of reporting a business beyond 30 days as these people know they can get away with it.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

I think if I left an item 3 months before checking it, I think i would suck it up as I would be to embarressed to tell everyone on here 🙄 

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

"Why should eBay have to extend the generous period of 30 days"

i.e. If  I buy PC components from a reputable online dealer I get 3 years guarantee !

I always check items when they arrive because if I dont it will either be wrong item or will be broken.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

You get 3 years guarantee from the seller, NOT eBay who merely provide the platform.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

My friend bought a tablet in november 2022 for a christmas gift but when it was opened on christmas day and switched on it only worked for 30 minutes and then shut down. My friend contacted the seller who refused a return as it was over the 30 days return and ebay agreed with him so I do not think they will do anything for an item bought in October. Its buyer beware.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

I have only stated that any refund must be gained through the buyers payment provider after 30 days.... nothing else, and I definitely did not suggest that eBay should, would or could help outwith the coverage period as outlined in their Moneyback Guarantee.

Buying goods online from individual sellers instead of accredited / approved dealers is always buyer beware, paticularly when it comes to warranties & guarantees will usually need the original proof of purchase.

Your friend was most unwise to have bought such a gift so long before it would be opened and tested by the intended recipient, which raises the question of why he did not check it himself upon receipt. 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: