Why has Ebay made it so difficult to contact sellers and negotiate a refund?

Have received a 2nd hand item that I recently bought BIN. It's defective, not working. The seller doesn't accept returns and there's no way I can contact the seller unless I go 'round the houses.

If I don't hear back from the seller or they refuse to issue a refund, I'll no doubt have to dig through a load of stuff before I can even begin to work out how to escalate the issue (hopefully the seller just says "here's your money please post it back"). What is the process if any btw? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

If the item is defective and not working then you need to open an item not as described case. The seller has to accept the return. On each listing there is a 30day money back gaurantee on ebay as the link details below.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

There is no need to enter in to communication with the seller. The return process is fully automated and works.

As long as you open the case within 30 days of the last estimated delivery date.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

The process is quite straightforward, you open an Item Not As Described case using the eBay Money Back Guarantee. 

Read up on it, there is a link on every listing.

Stating No Returns applies only to change of mind returns, and cannot override the MBG

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Ok thanks. Have got a refund. What happens now? The seller is meant to provide a postage label I believe, but they haven't. Does that mean they're not interested in having a defective item posted back? They haven't replied to me so I don't know what they're thinking.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Hi ,  if your seller has refunded before sending you a pre paid label, then they do not want their item posting back.

Sometimes,  a fully tracked postage label's cost nearly equals or outweighs an item's cost, so the seller does not wish to pay for its return and will just refund.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Ok thanks. It would be a bit tidier if I was informed that was the case, instead of leaving me wondering...

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

We all have those days so don't worry!! You could if you felt inclined drop the seller a message saying if they want the item back you would post it if they supply a label. Give them a time frame say a week. 

if the refund was 'forced' by eBay eg you escalated the case then the seller would have received a damaging defect on their account.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I did contact the seller firstly - twice. So I suppose it's their fault for not replying. But Ebay did make it difficult for me - I had to use a (tiny) bit of lateral thinking to work out how to contact them.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: