Who gets charged for damaged items?

Hi we have been refunded by eBay for an item that was recieved damaged.My question is does the seller get charged by eBay for my refund or do eBay just bear the cost? Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eBay do make discretionary refunds,  however,  if you open a  case for item not as described because it arrived broken,  the seller repays you from their funds,  and then can try and claim from the courier used / Royal Mail for compensation for themselves for a damaged item.

They may be unlucky  if it's usually glassware / porcelain etc,  these are usually exempt from compensation if broken in transit,  T & C's no doubt written in the Very small print !

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Did you get a refund through a not as described claim ?.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

eBay do make discretionary refunds,  however,  if you open a  case for item not as described because it arrived broken,  the seller repays you from their funds,  and then can try and claim from the courier used / Royal Mail for compensation for themselves for a damaged item.

They may be unlucky  if it's usually glassware / porcelain etc,  these are usually exempt from compensation if broken in transit,  T & C's no doubt written in the Very small print !

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you yes it was a crockery item.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Sort of.I complained to eBay and they refunded me almost immediately.It was a large crockery item that was poorly packed and I sent them photos of it and the packaging.It may be the couriers fault but their standard of packaging exacerbated the problem. I think the seller should be charged and then they have to claim from a the couriers. But as I don't know who pays I was curious and asked the question.Anyway we have been refunded thanks.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: