What UK Import Tax Etc Will I Pay From Japan??

I've seen a watch I want to buy which is loacted in Japan. I'm happy with the seller etc, however, the import duty, tax etc has me confused.

I've had different answers when looking around, so thought I'd ask if anyone here has been through it recently.

The watch is just over £210, including postage.

Can anyone tell me what the import tax etc would be roughly?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

See > Paying tax on eBay purchases | eBay

Import VAT @20% will be added at eBay checkout on items priced at up to £135.00 ... over that sum, on entry to the UK, Carrier will invoice you with total costs including any additional Customs, shipping and admin fees due before delivery to your address.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Any idea what that could actually be? I don't want to be in a position where I buy the watch then find out the tax etc is astonomical and I could have got it cheaper in the UK.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

The import VAT will be about £42, the courier fee about £15, depending on courier, and as it is over £135 there will be duty that will depend on the tariff classification.  You should be able to check what that might be on the gov.uk website.

As a guess the watch would need to be £80 cheaper to make it worth it.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Hi,

I am interested in a watch from Japan too, wondering did you complete your purchase? If so, what was your findings regarding added charges, beyond what you paid via ebay?

Kind regards,

Alf

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Hi,

in the end I didn't use ebay and went through a site I'd used before, but still in Japan, however the postage options were different, so I took the risk (which was minimal as I'd done it before) and bought it there with no import tax.

Regards, 

Steve.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

I was wondering if you have a link for that website,

thanks in advance 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

just look for Creation Watches. If you use the most popular search engine and it's the first one. Ebay won't let me post a link.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: