Seller not honouring their guarantee - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=guangzhoukaiyunqiche_6

I purchased an air suspension system compressor in  January / February 2023 with a 2 year warranty. Early this year (2024) the system began causing issues (intermittent malfunctions which could be clearerd with an on/off)  then quickly stopped working altogether. Checked Compressor output - maximum of only 20 lbs/in being output. Suspected worn /failed piston rings as no leaks apparent. Inflated suspension system by disconnecting the compressor's  output pipe and reconnecting that pipe to an external compressor. System inflated as it should and car has remained in that raised height ever since - with all compressors disconnected. No leaks, no relief valve failure or misoperation, all pipes, struts, tanks and control units performing as expected. Seller refuses to replace the compressor as I cannot supply a picture of an error code (DTC 5503, I think it was) and will not provide an email address or a means of me being able to send him a video of the pressure testing of the compressor itself. Something a bit more pertinent to the problem. Ebay appears quite evasive on this issue as it keeps pushing 30, 60 and 90 day expiry term for items that are not delivered, damaged in transit or fail just after delivery. There does not appear to be a process to support buyers when sellers quote guarantee periods and do not support their own promises. Poor show Ebay. Really disappointing. Thankfully, this is the first time I have experienced such a case but it is, never the less, really disappointing, especially as the seller  is a prominent 'shop' on Ebay and I have used them previously too.   

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seller not honouring their guarantee - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=guangzhoukaiyunqiche_6

This is the problem with guarantees/warrenties on Ebay and why i always advise people to buy electrical items from a store, because they are only as good as your ability to enforce them.

It may or may not make a difference if you could get a photo of the fault code to them, because whether it`s true or not, the seller may claim they are trying to help, by asking for the code, but your unable or refuse to send it, so if you can, i`d try and get it to them.

Failing all this, perhaps a visit/email/call to trading standards may help, or depending on the amount of money involved, perhaps small claims court. Problem with the latter, is that small claims court can only give you a judgement, they can`t force the payment, which if wasn`t forthcoming, you`d need to pay out more for bailiffs.

One other thing you could try, if you paid by credit/debit card, give your bank a ring and try doing a chargeback, especially if you paid with a credit card, as that carries more protection.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

This is the problem with guarantees/warrenties on Ebay and why i always advise people to buy electrical items from a store, because they are only as good as your ability to enforce them.

It may or may not make a difference if you could get a photo of the fault code to them, because whether it`s true or not, the seller may claim they are trying to help, by asking for the code, but your unable or refuse to send it, so if you can, i`d try and get it to them.

Failing all this, perhaps a visit/email/call to trading standards may help, or depending on the amount of money involved, perhaps small claims court. Problem with the latter, is that small claims court can only give you a judgement, they can`t force the payment, which if wasn`t forthcoming, you`d need to pay out more for bailiffs.

One other thing you could try, if you paid by credit/debit card, give your bank a ring and try doing a chargeback, especially if you paid with a credit card, as that carries more protection.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: