Seller either used counterfeit stamps or under paid postage

Royal mail told me two items needed extra postage and fees.  They didn't tell me which two items but now I've paid them and received them I know of course.  This was an extra £12.

Obviously I want the £12 refunded to me as it was seller error or done on purpose.

All I can see on the dispute process is how to return the items which I don't need to do as the items are fine.  I just want the extra rip off postage fee refunded.

What do I do?

Rob

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

eBay won't be interested in helping you.

You could try contacting the seller and hope they are will to reimburse you.

Otherwise leave them feedback.

Keep it short and be careful what you say or they could get it removed.

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

I don't thik you understand that the seller has scammed me of £12.  I need to know how to flag this to ebay so that they can take action.

Rob

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

@robblahblahblah wrote:

Royal mail told me two items needed extra postage and fees.  They didn't tell me which two items but now I've paid them and received them I know of course.  This was an extra £12.

Obviously I want the £12 refunded to me as it was seller error or done on purpose.

All I can see on the dispute process is how to return the items which I don't need to do as the items are fine.  I just want the extra rip off postage fee refunded.

What do I do?

Rob

ebay, more's the pity, have no mechanism for making the seller pay you money you didn't pay him.

Normallly they count attempted delivery as successful delivery, killing you rights under the money Back Guarantee. They certainly will if the tracking simply says "refused".

There is, however, a clause in the MBG policy which perfectly justified you, if you had known it in time and if the tracking shows the reason for the refusal:

The buyer refused delivery of the item

Covered:

• The item arrived with postage cost still owing because the seller didn't apply enough postage

Not covered:

• The buyer refused delivery for any other reason

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4...

Long ago you had to make the decision whether to pay cash to the postman at your door, and he would either take it or go off wondering what sort of refusal to call it. Nowadays you probably got a bill to pay online or at the post office. I would go there to ask just what the tracking will say if i refuse, and the exact reason for the charge.In a pa[er receipt would be best.

In my town the usual post office is in Tesco, and the counter staff vary in expertise. I would visit the real experts in the delivery office, a couple of hundred yards away, where they actually like members of the public dropping in.

Now it is too late for refusal, is one of the few occasions when contacting the seller by message, before ebay, may be a good idea. Even if you think he is lower than Japanese knotweedbe polite and let him feel he has a chance of not being negged or reported if he complies. Just show him the policy and any other evidence RM provide, and point out that losing £12 is a very poor reward for not taking action over what is, after all, a cruninal offence Tell him calmly but confidently that you feel e

It may work, and won't take £12 worth of time and trouble. At the worst, the nature of his reply may help you to decide whather to use "Report a seller" on him. That won't get you any money, but might get him made to wish he hadn't.

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

@robblahblahblah wrote:

I don't thik you understand that the seller has scammed me of £12.  I need to know how to flag this to ebay so that they can take action.

Rob

I do understand but unfortunately eBay can't make the seller give you the £12 underpaid postage.

You can try contacting customer services but be warned they sometimes tell you what you want to hear but do nothing.

Here's a link that should bypass the automated assistant during their opening hours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid 

As I said earlier leave them appropriate feedback something like " unsatisfactory transaction seller underpaid postage".

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Hi, why did you not contact the seller before paying the fees?

I have had 2 of my customers contact me regarding Royal Mail excess fees and as the seller I paid 1 direct to RM and I refunded the buyer for the other.

Just FYI, it looks like RM are trying this on as I always weigh my items and check sizes, both packages ( small parcel and large letter ) were checked to be compliant and accepted over the counter.

I can only presume they want some extra revenue as they are struggling or the packages were damaged while in the process which has changed dimensions.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Have you asked the seller?

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

@kamonthip.s wrote:

Just FYI, it looks like RM are trying this on as I always weigh my items and check sizes, both packages ( small parcel and large letter ) were checked to be compliant and accepted over the counter.

I can only presume they want some extra revenue as they are struggling or the packages were damaged while in the process which has changed dimensions.

Highly doubtful that the Royal Mail would be committing fraud like this!

The most likely scenario is that the post office uses the old needle & dial scales and that bit of plastic with slots in to see if it's a large letter. Once it gets to the sorting office it will be weighed/sized accurately and if it's slightly over (don't know what tolerances they accept) charges are applied.

Invest in a set of digital scales, don't rely on the post office!

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Hi, thank you for your comment, however their scales are digital and they
use the approved sizing devices.
My point was even when items are accepted into the Royal Mail (RM) network
they can add charges when there is next to no way to appeal the charges, if
you have tried to claim you will know the hoops that need to be jumped
through and the time this takes with little chance of success.
The more interesting point would be, has the original poster contacted the
seller, and if so what was the response.
As a buyer you have paid for a service for both the item and the delivery
so the seller surely has responsibility here.
Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

I can answer some of your questions.

I looked at the stickers put on the parcel by Royal Mail and the reason for the charges is counterfeit stamps so a scam by the seller.

Could people answer my original question please?

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

I have asked the seller who has said they will refund but haven't refunded.  The way they worded it is clear they won't refund.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

@robblahblahblah wrote:

I can answer some of your questions.

I looked at the stickers put on the parcel by Royal Mail and the reason for the charges is counterfeit stamps so a scam by the seller.

Could people answer my original question please?

As stated earlier unfortunately eBay won't/can't force the seller to reimburse you the underpaid postage.

Leave them negative feedback.

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

@robblahblahblah wrote:

I have asked the seller who has said they will refund but haven't refunded.  The way they worded it is clear they won't refund.

Then there is nothing you can do, other than leave feedback - but word it carefully or it will be removred.
If it happens in the future, don't pay the charge, and open up an item not received case as soon as you are able.

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

@kamonthip.s wrote:

I can only assume that that that is a desperate and implausible attempt to persuade the OP that the seller may have done nothing wrong.

It isn't unknown for Royal Mail staff to impose that kind of charge for an item which has successfully entered the system. Increased dirty work by them? Any thoughts on the introduction of free collection by the postman, or encouraging senders to put items with online postage in a mailbox? a mailbox or collection by a postman who comes without scales or a ruler.

I tend to think of the principle of Ockham's Razor. The medieval philospher reflected that the ordinary straight razor hadn't changed since the time  of the Romans because no complication made it do its job better. It is usually interpreted as meaning that the simple explanations are  most likely to be true.

I am sure that Royal Mail, beset as they are by competitors, do not make these charges lightly, nor issue "Mr. Guilty" stickers. . It is even more absurd to think that they would tell employees to cheat a little for the  good of the company, or that an employee wou;d do it unasked. Would they do it for Marks and  Spencer? To the OP's suspicions I would add only that they are  rumoured to be able to detect once-used stamps removed from delivered packages. T?here is no rule that says you are only allowed to be a crook if you are smart.

We should attempt the strange mental gymnastic of imagining you nearly-receiving a change of mind return with the same stamps.

@kamonthip.s wrote:

Hi, why did you not contact the seller before paying the fees?

Because he thought he was a crook, I suppose. Different people feel differently about that.

It is a pity if RM supply only the sticker the op has mentiomed receining. That doesn't give him the good case for refusing the item, which a separate bill before paying RM would have given him.

The OP can safely dismiss the theory that RM were in a predatory state of mind, and the balance of probability is against their being in error, or the package being squashed out of shape or absorbing atmospheric moisture.

The seller might have agreed a refund before a richly deserved case was open, but while it still could be. But don't let's fool ourselves that would be anything but selling him a £12 licence to keep on doing it.

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

I received a package today which l paid a fee as counterfeit stamps were used.l had to pay as it was in plain packaging and had no idea where it was from.Ebay don't want to know and the seller is dismissive.l am furious as although a relatively small amount it's the principle and seems to be fairly frequent.Has anybody complained to Royal Mail?

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: