Change in zoom function

To get a zoom in detail on the picture you now have to click on the picture & move it around within the original picture box. I'm finding this not as easy to do as before.

The view you get is not as big as it was before because it used to zoom out of the picture box, giving a larger view/area on screen.

Screenshot (361).png

If I click on the full screen symbol the picture is no larger than the original picture on the listing, until I click on it again. 

This view is actually good, but to get to it you have to make 2 clicks, when before you needed none.

Screenshot (362).png

If you could get this view without the need to make 2 clicks it would be perfect - you used to just hover the cursor over the original image.

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Change in zoom function

Maybe eBay UK could have a pinned page, on the forum, of current ongoing tests.

It could be next to the invisible pinned page of ongoing technical problems, like the visible one on .com.

Either would be good "customer service" and save customers from wasting hours of their time on problems eBay are already fully aware of.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Change in zoom function

@anita@ebay

Following on from the weekly chat as requested

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

anita@ebay 

Hopefully this works

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Hi zoomingmouse.

The layout of an item's listing page in the format you mention first appeared, as far as I recall, a couple of weeks ago and lasted for a couple of days before reverting to the 'usual' format. I think it was a live test, as it appears that at the same time that the new layout appeared the feedback pages no longer displayed in date order (most recent to oldest) and started displaying randomly. That issue was raised on this thread:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Feedback-no-longer-most-recent-to-oldest/td-p/74974... although CT's response has changed from "there are no issues on the site" to "this is a known issue".

The feedback issue has since reared its ugly head again, at the same time as the 'new' page layout has reappeared. I believe the two are linked; most probably the new item page layout contains untested code which has corrupted the correctly-ordered display of feedback, especially as the feedback issue resolved itself when the item page layout reverted to its previous format. I expect the item page layout will revert for a second time while the feedback issue is addressed (clue to programmers: try testing the code before it's released...) but I also expect the format you mention will become the standard one in future.

What you are seeing is the 'new, improved' layout of an item's listing page. Once they've sorted out the errors that are embedded in the code...

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Ah OK, I've been away & didn't have any internet access, so must have missed all the fun. 

Thanks for the info & link

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

You're welcome.

And don't worry about having been away and missing all the fun: you only missed it the first time round. There'll be plenty of opportunities to see any errors you missed in future when the same code is released as part of another "improvement"... : )

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

I was dreading them bringing back this format for good for many reasons, not least because it shunts so much useful information for buyers off the first screenview they see (on desktop at least) if you have multi-buy or variant options. Things like postage cost, delivery estimate, whether an item is for collection, item location - all have to be scrolled down to see, adding to the time and work for a buyer to assess if an item's suitable for them. The Buy/Add/Watch buttons span far too much space and could be placed alongside the price, leaving room beneath for the other info on the main screen.

The alignment is a mess too with the main price/buy/location frame running further down the page than the image frame, and getting muddled alongside the 'Similar Sponsored Items' frame squeezed beneath the images. 

They're clearly aimed for a near-copy of Etsy's layout, which also runs the info frame down off the main view, whereas they should have copied Vinted's layout which fits all the images and item/seller info comfortably onto one single view. 

Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

😂You are so right.

It's back to the old view this morning... for how long though

Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

I totally agrre with you, jbruby. The new page layout is absolutely awful in so many respects, not least the seller and postage information now being stuffed up on the right hand side and requiring at least one PgDn to see. The constant tinkering for no reason is just ridiculous these days - it's supposed to be a live site but it's being used as a training ground for wannabe programmers who've collected enough boxtops - and it's now got to the point where I just cannot be bothered to look at listings because the layout is so awful.

@zoomingmouse  Good news and bad news. The good news is that the elves seem to been out last night and the issue of feed back appear in a random order has now been resolved, though I'm writing this at 07:36 and the situation may well change by the time you read it... The bad news is that the page layout of an item listing hasn't changed and it may well be here to stay.

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

@zoomingmouse wrote:

😂You are so right.

It's back to the old view this morning... for how long though

Back to the old view for you maybe, but not for me: I'm still seeing the new "improved" page layout.

We're probably ported to different servers running different code. Typical eBay - log-in pot luck...

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

I'm using Firefox, Win 10, Laptop if it makes a difference

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

It probably does: I'm using Chrome, Win 10, Laptop. Which just points to the probability that the code has been rolled back for Firefox browsers but not for Chrome browsers.

Right now, though, I don't know whether you're seeing the 'old' page layout or a 'new new' page layout after the 'new' page layout has been overwritten. And it may well change again later...

Never a dull moment on eBay, is there?

Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

here is no doubt that we have lost the abi;ity to see an extreme enlargement of part of a picture by hivering the mouse or touchpad arrow. It applies to watched items with which I was doing that days ago.

How much that matters depends on the item. A pack of blank DVDs is a pack of blank DVDs. But for other items the close view is a great advantage of ebay over its competitors, and notably the big one, for buyers and sellers alike.. The same goes for volume and individuality of description, even if it is to see an absence offorbidden seller terms or paranoia.

I doubt if this change has anything to do with feedback. Software gets tired and needs reinstallation sometimes, and for a rather comples operation equipment retirement may be involved too. We see a lot of people, on this board, deeply wounded by system changes which certaubly didn't wound me. I suppose buying items costs money, but grievances are free. But I hope ebay will find a way to return us to the original zoom utility.

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

I don't think the change had anything specifically to do with feedback, gallovidian, but the change to the page layout coincided with the feedback being displayed in a random (not newest-to-oldest) format. Twice. And to me that's more than a coincidence; it suggests that the code released was not fully tested.

'Software gets tired and needs reinstallation sometimes' - I don't disagree, but there is a world of difference between reinstalling software and rewriting software for the sake of it and then releasing the rewritten code without ensuring that it does not introduce more errors into the system. Maybe you should have written 'Programmers get tired and need replacing sometimes'? : )

For some reason (can't think why...) a quote from Tom Lehrer popped into my head this morning:

Life is like a sewer; what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Hi @zoomingmouse

Thanks for your post and sharing your feedback.

I can see that it has since been resolved for you and returned to the old view, however @thesmokingrunner are still experiencing this.

I have flagged this to the relevant teams, and they are currently looking into it. Once I have more information, I'll update you here in the thread.

Thanks

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Hi @zoomingmouse and @thesmokingrunner,

I have a further update that I want to share.

This is an expected experience and it may apply to any listing from any seller. It is a part of our long-term efforts to improve and modernize the 'View Item Page' and does not necessarily mean it's a permanent change. Our teams would love to hear more about the user experience and how they can improve it. You can share your feedback using the 'Feedback' option available on the 'View Item Page'.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Hi Anita.

"It is a part of our long-term efforts to improve and modernize the 'View Item Page' and does not necessarily mean it's a permanent change". An interesting choice of words. Do you mean this is a test which may or may not become permanent?

I regret to say that I - along, no doubt, with many many other users - do not see any point in sharing any feedback about my 'user experience' with the teams as there is never any response to feedback and the process seems futile.

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

"This is an expected experience and it may apply to any listing from any seller. It is a part of our long-term efforts to improve and modernize the 'View Item Page' and does not necessarily mean it's a permanent change. Our teams would love to hear more about the user experience and how they can improve it. You can share your feedback using the 'Feedback' option available on the 'View Item Page'."

1) It's very poor UI design as it makes it less possible to gain a detailed view of the item than the old style; simply apeing the style of another site isn't justification for this.

2) When images are clicked on to give a 'full page' view, they are often actually smaller than the windowed view - again, poor UI implementation.  ...Although it's been this way for a very long time.  An improvement would be to make these images full screen.  

3) There is no evidence of the 'feedback' tab being effective; and actually, it's often not even present!

- If everything is promoted then nothing is promoted... and many are defrauded!
Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

Maybe eBay UK could have a pinned page, on the forum, of current ongoing tests.

It could be next to the invisible pinned page of ongoing technical problems, like the visible one on .com.

Either would be good "customer service" and save customers from wasting hours of their time on problems eBay are already fully aware of.

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

Change in zoom function

@zoomingmouse wrote:

To get a zoom in detail on the picture you now have to click on the picture & move it around within the original picture box. I'm finding this not as easy to do as before.

The view you get is not as big as it was before because it used to zoom out of the picture box, giving a larger view/area on screen.

Screenshot (361).png

If I click on the full screen symbol the picture is no larger than the original picture on the listing, until I click on it again. 

This view is actually good, but to get to it you have to make 2 clicks, when before you needed none.

Screenshot (362).png

If you could get this view without the need to make 2 clicks it would be perfect - you used to just hover the cursor over the original image.

I AGREE WITH YOU 110% ! - I DON'T LIKE THIS NEW EBAY ZOOM FEATURE EITHER.

I LIKE THE OLD ZOOM FEATURE WHERE IT WOULD SHOW YOU THE WHOLE PICTURE AND NOT JUST A SMALL PART OF IT LIKE IT DOES NOW.

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: