Any reason to be suspicious?

Just bought a rucksack baby carrier on eBay from someone with no feedback. Fairly decent price (£140).

Got a message upon purchase stating:

“Hi, thanks for your offer. This is just to let you know that, after receiving your payment, it may take a week or so before I can send it to you because of a work trip. I hope that’s okay.”

Anticipate any issues here? 

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Edit: when I asked, seller said they should be able to post on Mon 15 Jan. Est delivery is 10-11 Jan. Guessing I have nothing to lose here by paying as I’m protected by eBay.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

If they have no feedback I presume they're a new seller and they don't understand how ebay works.

They will have stated on the listing that they will post within so may days, and ebay would estimate the delivery dates according to the shipping window they selected, so to decide they cannot ship within this time is asking for trouble.

You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to open an Item not Received dispute, and you can  escalate it to get a refund 3 working dayse after the date you opened it.

If you really want the item and you are prepard to wait for this seller, do so, bearing in mind the timeline you are working to, and do open a case if it gets too close to the 30 day deadline.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

You are covered by the eBay 30 days money back guarantee so don't worry.

You could open a not received case as soon as the estimated delivery date has passed if you want.

eBay can hold new sellers payments for 14 days (or longer) but they are supposed to send the item not wait.

If item tracking shows delivered it can speed up the payment being released.

None of that is the buyers problem though

It sounds like your seller might want to wait until the money is released before they send the item though.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks, sounds eminitemy logical. They have had an account with no feedback for over a year and the quote of not posting for a week was from a message received after sale.

thank you for your reply, sounds as though I have nothing to lose.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Mega, as per my reply above thanks for allaying my concerns.

best case, receive the item. Worst case, get a full refund.

thanks!

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

@optsdan wrote:

Edit: when I asked, seller said they should be able to post on Mon 15 Jan. Est delivery is 10-11 Jan. Guessing I have nothing to lose here by paying as I’m protected by eBay.

While either story is possible and neither is justified, I think the work trip one is most likely to be true.

We often hear of sellers refusing to dispatch due to the hold on release of funds. As far as ebay are concerned you have paid when your balance (bank, credit card or Paypal) has been debited, and the Selling Practices Policy forbids her to delay for this reason.

"I will dispatch late because I turn out to be busy" is a clear admission that it is her fault. "I will dispatch late because I haven't been paid" would (mistakeenly) sound like it isn't her fault. So the former of these, being the least advantageous, is likely to be true.

I'd reply, tellomg her that you are happy to give her the extra time she has asked for, but you will do it by opening as Item Not Received case, requesting the item, but it is most unlikely to do her record any harm (which is true) if she settles the matter  before it has to be referred to ebay. You can tell her that the case needn't bereferred after three business days from opening it, and you will leave it open for as long as she has requestede. (Actually a case can stay open for up to 21 business days before it times out and you lose, but you don't have to supply that much tempting detail.

I don't see a thing that would put your money at risk if you pay now, as you should.Only overrunning the 30 day or the 21 business day deadline can do that. Delaying payment, however, could enable the seller to get an unpaid item cancellation, with no stain on her character and a mild but not negligible one on yours. She might even have forgotten setting up her account to do that automatically.

There is no call to sound bloody-minded yet, or with luck ever. Helpful, and "more in sorrow than in anger" is the best tone unless hers changes first. I think you will get the item.

But the feeling that she has seen the beginnings of ebay enforcement may be ofr the good of future buyers, and even her own good.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: