100% refund for a broken radio case (possible?)

Hi. I've bought a bakelite radio, which has a bakelite case. If the case arrives cracked (even if it's a hairline crack) is it possible to obtain a 100% refund?

Ok, it looks like such a radio would be classed as furniture by shipping firms, and I've been informed (Parcel2go)  that there would be no compensation for broken furniture , only  if it was lost.

But, what about Ebay's guarantee?  Would Ebay give a 100% refund if the case of a bakelite radio incurs a hairline crack during it's travels in the post?  Assuming that the package was packed "properly".  Thanks.

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

I'm not overthinking this. After I have bought it, the seller intimates now that I should arrange postage.  Contract law would say, that is changing the contract of course which is not allowed. But, there is a general question: Can a listing on Ebay indicate that the buyer must arrange shipping. I don't think so.

Message 21 of 32
See Most Recent

That took some finding. 

The seller is registered as a business.

Change of mind returns within 30 days - buyer pays postage. If it arrives as expected that will never matter although I am surprised they listed it as used rather than parts not working. Maybe that isn't an option under that category but regardless you don't need to worry about being stuck with it if you want to send it back.

If it arrives damaged / not as described as long as you open the correct type of eBay return case the buyer has to supply you with a return label and eBay can track it. The seller can't insist you organise your own return shipping label in that situation.

It looks like a challenging item to post out. The seller has been very fair charging only £7.50 for that, they will make a loss on postage there. They are an experienced seller with an honest profile so I think you're in safe hands there as far as their customer service goes. 

Message 22 of 32
See Most Recent

I'm not overthinking this. After I have bought it, the seller intimates now that I should arrange postage.  Contract law would say, that is changing the contract of course which is not allowed. But, there is a general question: Can a listing on Ebay indicate that the buyer must arrange shipping. I don't think so.

OH! You didn't make that clear previously, they want you to arrange shipping to send you the item. In that case I wouldn't even go there, if the seller can't honour the terms of the sale then they need to cancel it.

Message 23 of 32
See Most Recent

I had to read this back to make sure I wasn't going doolally.

Earlier you said:

His reply was "If you are worried about it getting damaged please arrange your own courier , we will do our best to pack it safely but will not accept responsibility should it get damaged ".

In fairness the seller is bending over backwards to try to make you happy. Just let them send it as per the listing if they are still willing to do so or ask them to cancel. 

Message 24 of 32
See Most Recent

As engaging as your post appears, why would you feel a need as a person who has sold a couple of hundred items on ebay and is a regular buyer  ask a seller whether you would get a 100% refund if the item arrived damaged !

I cannot believe for one moment that you do not know how ebay  MBG works - if I was selling  and an  ebay member asked me that question - I would be wary of them as a buyer and certainly look at their  profile and feedback,closely - if they were brand new to ebay - give them the benifit of the doubt and reassure them.

But an experianced ebayer -  I would question why this was raised - is this a warning that there is an ulterior motive ? Is the buyer looking to inspect the item before deciding to keep it and if not returning it as not as described ? This is probably why the seller is trying to protect themself.

I am not saying this was your intention but this is how the situation was created !

Message 25 of 32
See Most Recent

Things may have been lost in translation as we don't know the full conversation with the seller. I am guilty of skim reading this thread and missing some points too. 

I am thinking the seller is trying to apply the logic that if the buyer chooses to reject their courier and want to have it collected themselves then they consider that to be a collection in person. Which would make sense if buyer just sends a guy in a van to pick it up for them, untracked and at the buyers own risk. It gets tricky with MBG if the buyer actually goes ahead and buys a courier label off parcel2go and says there you go, upload that tracking to the order and send it with this courier instead as I think the seller would still be liable for damage under MBG like any other sale. 

I am not criticising the seller on this as to be honest I'd be a bit insulted if a buyer was saying I don't know what I am doing using my own courier. The seller is also risking a defect on their metrics for late dispatch / delivery as this drags on unresolved. But I am tired and quite possibly missing the point again 😆

Message 26 of 32
See Most Recent

I think you pretty much have read the situation with the seller and you make some valid observations - I was just surmising that the catalyst for the events unfolding  was a relatively experianced ebayer  contacting a seller after buying to raise a potential issue of getting a 100% refund - it does not sit well, even if it was just to gain reassurance it seems odd when he OP had been actively buying and selling on ebay. 

Your seller observations and how he has tried to overcome his reservations and the potential consequences are well thought out - and probably never entered the seller's thoughts when trying to respond to the buyer

If the OP had asked the seller to please make sure that the item was well packed it would have been more logical.

Message 27 of 32
See Most Recent

Hi. I accepted the solution in terms of what I probably should have done, or not done.  Also, as to getting 100% refund, of course that's the job of Ebay's guarantee, not the contract the seller makes with the shipper.

Message 28 of 32
See Most Recent

I see the seller has now relisted the item for sale again.

Have they cancelled your sale?

Message 29 of 32
See Most Recent

As the OP hasn't returned to the thread I'm taking a wild guess that the seller has been spooked by OP's demands and has cancelled the sale and relisted.

******************************************************************************************