Help, please. Do I need to return this or not?

Hi everyone.

I bought a baby chair which turned out to be broken and not fit for purpose. The seller does not generally accept returns but has done so here, and quickly issued a refund. However, when I click on the link to print postage which I received in an email, all I get to is a summary of the order and a message saying my return has been accepted. There's nothing about printing postage.  

So my query is, am I done here? Is the seller expecting this to be returned or does the lack of an option mean he isn't expecting it back? I can't imagine why he'd want it returned if it's broken but I want to do things by the book as I've had bad experiences on here as a seller.

Thank in anticipation!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Normally sellers only refund after return unless they don't want the item back but best thing is to email them and ask.  If they do want it back they should pay the return postage upfront.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sellers cannot refuse the return of an item which arrives damaged, faulty or not as described.  'No returns accepted' only applies to change of mind, does not fit, and buyer error returns.

By actioning an immediate refund, the seller has told Ebay that they don't want the item back, which is why you can't find a postage label to print.  If the seller wanted it back, they should have 'agreed' to the return within your opened return request, which would have triggered the system to provide you with a tracked postage label at the seller's expense, and then refunded on receipt.

The transaction is now over and done with as far as Ebay and the payment processor are concerned, so if the seller made a mistake and does want the item back, tell them to buy a suitable postage label from the carrier of their choice, and email it to you. Tell them they have 30 days in which to do this, and if you don't receive a suitable label within that timeframe, you will dispose of the item as you see fit, which you will then be legally able to do.

@darthpaul1978