Getting sick of sellers advertising items for a false price.

sellers advertising items at a shown price, then as soon as you choose a colour or size the price shoots up. And theres nothing in the drop down for price advertised. This is false info, good to attract buyers but a waste of buyers time. if they are lying about price are they lying about other things described ?

Message 1 of 128
See Most Recent
127 REPLIES 127

It makes searching for an item at lowest price impossible.

Also the multi lsitings can be spammed with hundreds of same listing by same seller.

Makes for a poor buyer experience.

Message 121 of 128
See Most Recent

Like the idea of the Acme troll dispersal Kit!

But as the thread's been discussing trousers, no Kit needed so far, as trolls don't wear trousers. Or is that gonks?

Message 122 of 128
See Most Recent

Get what you are saying but still not sure i agree. If there is no mention of the sample in the description then how can you even state a 99p price? Its still deceiving and a waste of the buyers time as you have to go into the listing to see the actual price of the main item.  

Message 123 of 128
See Most Recent

Problems with that include first that no-one with a working moral compass would suggest 'reasonable sale practice' included advertising 'Curtains - 99p' nor even 'Curtains - from 99p' when the cheapest curtains on offer are in fact £100 - or anything else more than 99p. 

Far from 'reasonable sale practice' that's not just misleading: it's obvious dishonesty; falsehood pure and simple and worse, clearly calculated.

How could you even think, let alone attempt to justify the idea that pretending you had curtains for sale at 99p wasn't a text-book case of 'bait and switch' both as you describe it, and as potters did?

My imagination might be limited yet personally, I envisage only three kinds of people - and of course, their lawyers - ever knowing what 'bait and switch' is, let alone having any interest in it. 

Those are potential customers who have been misled by it, including most of us herer; Trading Standards officers who hope to stamp it out; traders at least partially dishonest. Why would anyone else care?

Beneath all that, your curtain-fabric sample would be poor business practice, even if it were honest.
A) Charging the poor customer for posting out a minxy little off-cut is more likely to creat bad feeling than any kind of good will.

B) Even postage and packing will cost you more than 99p and a detailed look at the logistics involved should show it's highly unlikely invoicing and accounting for that piffling some won't cost a lot more.

So broadly, charging 99p for a sample would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Others might put it more strongly, and I happen to think you're at best mistaken.

Message 124 of 128
See Most Recent

Interesting posts above.

I can not see any benefit at all to carrying out this type of misrepresentation.  Surely a lot of those who act on this when buying  simply leave when they see someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes. Simply counter productive.

Some people who pull this type of stunt seem to think they are intelligent business owners when in reality they are as dumb as a sack of walnut shells.

Summing it up, the intention of those that practice this is to gain a significant advantage by misleading potential customers and it needs calling out.  These are the people who contribute to buyers going to other platforms to get away from being turned over by a schemer. This not only affects the seller doing this but it pulls everyone else with it and honest people lose out because it.

Message 125 of 128
See Most Recent

Of course you see the benefit. How could you not?

Of course a lot of buyers leave when they see someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes. Isn't the point that some don't, and most of those would not have been there in the first place but for the dishonest advertising? So no, it's clearly not counter productive.

I suggest that people who pull such stunts might statistically turn oput top be intelligent business owners but that's nothing to do with whether they're decent people.

Message 126 of 128
See Most Recent

So this thread is 5 years old, and yet the problem exists and is more rampant than ever. 

Message 127 of 128
See Most Recent

Anyone who knows anything about curtains, or hopefully has done some research before browsing to buy, would know you can't buy even one half of a pair of curtains for 99p or even £1.99. And none worth having. Probably not even in a charity shop.

As a business venture that has overheads (cost of materials - fabric, thread etc) I doubt you could manufacture curtains for 99p unless they come from a sweatshop. Spoken from the experience of making curtains on a low budget (sewing's a hobby).

You'd think someone wanting curtains for 99p must surely suspect they're having the wool curtains pulled over their eyes.

Message 128 of 128
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: