Buyers abusing free returns

I'm getting increasingly fed up with buyers making false claims to get free returns,  they claim the item is not as described and with seeminlyg no come back or due diligence ebay makes the seller pay for the return postage.  There is no come back to this other than reporting the buyer which doesn't fix the issue in hand, which is that ebay just facilitated someone robbing money from your pocket.

I've had a fair few of these recently with only one being an actual valid return, the others were basically buyers remorse but chancing their arm at saving a few quid.  I photograph my listings well and describe them accurately.

Give us a break ebay!

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

I agree, its just another reporting feature that doesnt work. I had one last week where the buyer claimed the item was a different colour to the pictures, fair enough the light in the pictures could change it (it doesnt) but the best part was it went through eBays Authentication Guarantee Scheme which confirms the shoes are brand new, authentic and match the description, yet it still cost me for them to return. Contacted eBay and they said report them and you will get the funds back if we find they have misused the MBG, i'll await the decision but nothing yet.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

80% of my INAD's are false. Problem is, how do you prove that? I sell item's that can be very technical so it's not always the customers fault.

It wouldn't be an issue at all, even with the return post cost...if you didn't get slapped again by E-bay for Service metrics. If the service metrics didn't exist, then INAD returns wouldnt bother me so much but a couple of years back when service metrics came in I got hit by the 'extra 4% charge' (worked out at 50% more fees at the time). I'm still fuming about it now, some guy who obviously managed a sales team must of come up with that amazing policy. 

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Uk distance selling laws protect buyers well.

Add to that ebays additional rules.

Ebay relies a lot on honesty and sadly not every one is honest.

I usually block anyone who has returned something so they cant pull the same stunt with me twice.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi 

I totally agree with all your comments . I recently had a very nasty abusive buyer stating all sorts on a item they bought. E-bay steped in I was told to refund and pay for the return which I did> I am still awaiting the return of the item . I have been trying to launch an appeal but this appears not possible . Am toltall annoyed with Ebay. This person was calling me alsorts I have sent request for tracking information for return of my item and received no reply . in effect this nasty lowlife has stolen my item . I have ben robbed of £33 . I too reported it they have favoured the buyer even though I have evidence of abuse being called a *bleep* among other things. 

Ebay should provid an email address to contact them with any dispute as its obvious the links on the system are not good enough  

Am absolutely disgusted 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

EBay does not require you to refund before you get your item back, as long as you have provided a paid for return label.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

@vichew wrote:

E-bay steped in I was told to refund and pay for the return which I did> I am still awaiting the return of the item .

It's the other way around...you should have paid for the return label and only refunded if/when you received your item back. However, once a seller has volunteered a refund that's it - the case is closed and eBay's involvement is over.

eBay use the tracking from the return label to check the buyer actually sends something back. Once the tracking indicates the seller has received the item the seller has three days to either issue a full refund or report a problem via the case. You can still report the buyer outside the case but as you have already voluntarily refunded the buyer eBay will not reimburse you.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

This is very frustrating for me and 80% of the return cases opened with those false reasons to make me pay for returns.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

@vichew wrote:

I recently had a very nasty abusive buyer stating all sorts on a item they bought. E-bay steped in I was told to refund and pay for the return which I did> I am still awaiting the return of the item . I have been trying to launch an appeal but this appears not possible . 

Unfortunately, once you refunded the buyer, eBay will have sent them a message telling them they could keep the item (or throw it away), and didn't have to return it any more.  

On eBay, the normal procedure, if the buyer says there's something wrong with the item, is that the seller sends them a return label (usually by buying a prepaid eBay label), then the buyer sends the item back and the seller doesn't have to refund until 48  hours after they get it back.

There are a few exceptions, like if the item can't be returned once it's been opened (like a  bunch of flowers or a leaky pot of paint), or if the seller is away from home and misses the delivery, but NORMALLY you don't need to refund until you've got the item back.

Having said that, I sometimes refund buyers upfront when things go wrong, and they nearly always co-operate over sending it back later.  It sounds as if you've had really bad luck there.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

i've had this happen repeatedly. im fed up.

It was a night mare getting through to an ebay agent, but when I did, he told me to report the buyer and that I will be refunded the cost of return label fee. now ive issued the full refund...there is no sight of the return label fee refund. i cant get through to an agent again. the chat bot is just refusing point blank.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

I'm not convinced that these "refunds" for the cost of the return labels are ever done.  But frankly, is it worth the effort of claiming them anyway?

I had one last week.  To spare the buyer's blushes, I'll recast it slightly, but it was along the lines of:

"I bought an antique skirt from you but it was Not As Described.  You said it was  ANTIQUE.  But when I opened it, I found it wasn't ANTIQUE at all.  I can tell because  it was black.  Every knows ANTIQUE is a shade of GOLD.   Plus, it looked old."

What should I do?  Berate the buyer for her ignorance?   Send her a dictionary?  No, I just sent her a return label and said I was sorry the purchase wasn't suitable.  Life's too short to waste it arguing with Customer Support - or with customers.  Customer didn't open an eBay case, didn't leave bad feedback, I'm down by the price of one label, that's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: