See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

The oldbies, midbies, newbies thread

upside_down

Petal
Message 2 of 55
See Most Recent

I haven't got any spuds in tyres, but I am growing some in tubs. Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 55
See Most Recent

How strangely comforting to discover a thread that I started or at least one with a very similar name annnnd the spuds for 2017 are in the same tyres & garden as I type. I changed names as few want to be reminded of rolf harris but in my pic is the same Carlton who lived to 21 and was still posting up till 18. Does anyone remember my Mermaid mug with starfish or airtight copper biscuit barrel threads? Thrilling times indeed.

....anyway this years spuds are Maris Bard, Sarpo Mira & unidentified dark coloured ones with thick skins that have sprouted in the ground from ones I left in last year.

....and furthermore in another strand of micro-homesteadery I have now got 3 ornamental pheasants and some chickens, the latter being a fab way of getting protein off a small garden and being a light Sussex, a leghorn I said a leghorn there boy, an English speckled hen and a Red Rock, essentially a Black Rock with ginger flashes. The last black rock I had could fly over 2' higher than chickens are supposed to fly.

so.... who's in the house so to speak? 

AND

does anyone know what became of Suzy_q?

additionally

is that you shms?

Message 4 of 55
See Most Recent

I too have them in buckets ms. me61_6 (0) 'tis a fine expedient, I will upload a pic if I can find out how to fingerlickin resize them Cat Embarassed

Message 5 of 55
See Most Recent

That sounds great about you having the Pheasants and Chickens in your garden. Woman Very Happy  I have some birds visit my garden, but not that big. An Uncle of mine years ago had several chickens, so much enjoyment he got from them. Also he bred Canaries. I had a favourite which I named Chicco. Woman Very Happy

Message 6 of 55
See Most Recent

Man LOL

these man smileys all look like chain smokers who never go outdoors

Birds....

CatflapCatflapIMG_0097.JPGIMG_0099.JPG

Message 7 of 55
See Most Recent

Potato buckets pic coming as soon as Ive downloaded the resize thingy

birds are fabulous 🐓

Message 8 of 55
See Most Recent

IMG_103.jpgsome potatoes in buckets yesterday. 

Message 9 of 55
See Most Recent

IMG_105.jpg

Message 10 of 55
See Most Recent

Great photo's they are. So cute all the birds look. Nice for them to enjoy the sunny day as well. Woman Very Happy

All looks good with your potatoes. Woman Very Happy  And the walk there down the lane, similar to close to my side. 

Not sure if this photo of my potatoes will show..

Message 11 of 55
See Most Recent

They all look nice and green and healthy Cat Very Happy

Message 12 of 55
See Most Recent

West Wales 🙂

Message 13 of 55
See Most Recent

I have since that photo was taken added more compost, now they are full to the brim. Woman Very Happy

The high tub at the corner contains my grape vine. Woman Very Happy

Message 14 of 55
See Most Recent

Well done, I am late with my spuds this year. I planted at end of March thinking I'd beat the frost but it frosted a few times as soon as the leaves appeared. They're growing again now 🙂

There used to be a grape vine here, for centuries by all accounts. Nice to think the weather is up to it here :)))

Message 15 of 55
See Most Recent

That's good all growing well now for you. I think it was the start of March I planted the potatoes. As least safe in the greenhouse from being frost-bitten. 

I had a good lot of grapes the year before last. But silly me last year cut the leading tops off the vine, as they were growing. I thought it might make the vine bushier. But unfortunately it stopped the growth of my grapes. I didn't get too many. So this year I will leave well alone. 

Message 16 of 55
See Most Recent

Weeeeeell....

I kind of doubt my grape growing abilities but have planted an apple tree & cherry tree got cheap from a garden place, maybe g.m. Or something 😮but they're growing quickly despite the Beltane 🔥 blowing smoke over them. Also trying tobacco plants this year. The seeds claim 90% germination but 30 out of 150 came up. Still, 30 🙂

Message 17 of 55
See Most Recent

So nice for you to have those fruit trees. I had an apple tree where I lived before, amazing the amount I got from it. Woman Very Happy

I just googled for Tobacco plants, aren't the flowers from them gorgeous. Woman Very Happy

Message 18 of 55
See Most Recent

Very nice flowers indeed 💐 Cat Very Happy

There's a v.old Apple tree blossoming now, it didn't used to produce good apples but I keep cutting it back and it gives big cooking apples. It's been here longer than the old 'uns great grandads can remember 🔮

Message 19 of 55
See Most Recent

Mmm, plenty of apple pies soon then. Woman Very Happy I will be waiting in anticipation. Woman Very Happy

Message 20 of 55
See Most Recent