See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

The Poppy debate

Thank you Al...that's really nice.🙂

Message 2 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

2015-11-4.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 4 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

Did anyone see the news reports about the poppies that were around The Tower were being sold on Gumtree for up to £350?

It seems some were offered on ebay but ebay removed them.

Doesn't ebay own Gumtree?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

11825578_10207960666480854_5112726473991532731_n.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 6 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

I didn't realise there was an ongoing debate about the poppy, just a a few political groups pushing there own agenda on social media outlets. The majority of complaints seem to be coming from Irish Republicans and Islamic fundamentalists saying it glorifies our colonial past. Total rubbish really considering lots of Irish,  Muslims and many other nationalities fought bravely alongside Britain and her Allies in both World Wars.

To me the poppy doesn't glorify anything. It's a symbol of rebirth and a token of remembrance to the fallen on all sides in all conflicts and as such shouldn't be hijacked for political reasons.

Message 7 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

'The debate' is about poppy facism or the shaming of well-known persons who are seen out in public or on TV not wearing a poppy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/if-you-dont-wear-a-poppy-youre-sent-to-the-social-guillotine-is-...

"We should always remember the fallen. But those soldiers died for our freedom of expression – and with our culture of inflexible obligation, we are abusing their final wishes."

I have to say I agree with the above.

Message 8 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

I couldn't open the Independent link but have looked at the story elsewhere. Don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest, whoever wants to wear one it's a matter of personal preference.

Agree with the comment about freedom of expression.

Message 9 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

In his heart he holds courage,
In his hands he holds our lives.
A Brave Soldier he may be, but only at the the front lines.
He is weaken by all the death,
He is haulted by there souls.
For he knows in this battle, hatred rules one's goal.
He does not fight for hatred,
He fights for there lives instead.

Cause he knows hatred has no value, when so many are dead.

wall14.jpg

Message 11 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.jpg

Message 12 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

photo So Sad.gif

Petal
Message 13 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

@*.*..lola..*.* wrote:

'The debate' is about poppy facism or the shaming of well-known persons who are seen out in public or on TV not wearing a poppy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/if-you-dont-wear-a-poppy-youre-sent-to-the-social-guillotine-is-...

"We should always remember the fallen. But those soldiers died for our freedom of expression – and with our culture of inflexible obligation, we are abusing their final wishes."

I have to say I agree with the above.

I completely agree - I choose to wear a paper poppy every November, and an enamel (or whatever the RBL ones are made of) one all year round, but I am glad I live in a country where we have freedom of choice: like lola says, soldiers died for our freedom, and that includes the freedom to make a deliberate choice not to wear a poppy.

(Also, I think it's quite bad manners to comment or speculate on other people's personal choices- but it seems in poppy season, it's open season on those who don't.  To me, it's more meaningful if someone makes the active decision either way, not that someone gets their poppy added to their outfit shortly before cameras roll or whatever...)

Message 14 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

What a terribly sad image, Petal.  Thank you for showing us.

My mother's uncle was shot by a sniper in France just before the end of WW1.  A few years ago I was able to visit his grave in a war graves cemetery on the edge of a beautiful little French village.  Although I never knew him it was a very moving experience which I shall never forget.  I wear a poppy at this time of year but I agree that it should be a free choice, and not something for the poppy police to criticise people for. 

Message 15 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

Margs

Surely it would have easier to google a Photo of Cameron wearing a poppy, than photoshopping one onto him, which they mucked up on scale and position anyway.

CeeDee

I didn't know Gumtree was owned by ebay

btw

It is a modern 'custom' to wear the leaf at the 11 o'clock position, most before sat at 2 o'clock, because thats how they came, no other reason

Only Buy Poppies from the British Legion/Poppy Scotland or from specific Veterans charities

This is mine

rsea-2015-badge.jpg

All the money We raise goes to the Veterans Hospital/care Home at Erskine near Glasgow, this year our grand total will pass a £1000000.

Remember  - most of those for sale on ebay etc, No money goes to any Charity

Message 16 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

Message 17 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

...............................................................................................png

Message 18 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

hefzi wrote:

I completely agree - I choose to wear a paper poppy every November, and an enamel (or whatever the RBL ones are made of) one all year round, but I am glad I live in a country where we have freedom of choice: like lola says, soldiers died for our freedom, and that includes the freedom to make a deliberate choice not to wear a poppy.

(Also, I think it's quite bad manners to comment or speculate on other people's personal choices- but it seems in poppy season, it's open season on those who don't.  To me, it's more meaningful if someone makes the active decision either way, not that someone gets their poppy added to their outfit shortly before cameras roll or whatever...)

Good post, Hefzi

I felt so sorry for Sienna Miller last week. She took her poppy off prior to her appearance on Alan Carr Chatty Man because it was pulling on her dress.

She got absolutely slated for that on Twitter by the 'poppy police' (apt name BTW). I thought that was very unfair. 

I bet she was mortified (and hurt) that people thought she didn't care about the fallen servicemen just because she wasn't wearing a poppy for an hour.

Message 19 of 31
See Most Recent

The Poppy debate

@right-then-petal wrote:

photo So Sad.gif

That picture gave goosebumps, Petal very moving.

Message 20 of 31
See Most Recent