Tattoo Bans

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

Questions are being raised regarding whether an employer should be allowed to refuse employment or dismiss an employee because of a tattoo, or whether this should be treated as discrimination as issues regarding age, gender or ethnicity would.

What dou you reckon?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28758900

Message 1 of 63
See Most Recent
62 REPLIES 62

Tattoo Bans

Would you give him the sack if he came into work looking like this?657187c8-9faf-4351-b513-e0b78e663727HiRes.JPG

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Are you sure that's a bloke?

Message 3 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Be honest, would you really want to get that close to find out? lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

As to the employment situation, if the tattoos were really objectionable there'd surely be other obvious shortcomings in their suitablity for a job, depending what the job was of course. There'd be no need to mention them or give them as a reason for not taking the person on?

By that I mean if the job was, for instance a groundsman, a machine operator on a refuse dump or a scrapyard worker, the tattoos wouldn't be much of an issue? However, if the job involved "office work" or meeting customers, the tattoos would be an issue if they were really "in yer face"?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

THAT,,,, i would not employ at all. If their Facial or neck Tattoos NO!!!!. I have tattoos but only where they can be covered up. If their ones that can be covered or their little Pretty ones that are not too OTT, i would say thats alright.

I think that above would have to have a job in a Tattoo parlour as its way out advertizing for it, LOL. I think Tattoos are very artistic but discretion is needed for the majority of jobs!!!.Woman Very Happy

Message 6 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Are you always that patronising and do you always judge people just on their

looks and not their acts?

Message 7 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Tattoos are a personal and emotive subject, personally; I think they are very Tribal and most body art originated from those beginnings. I personally would have hoped that we had evolved a bit more than that, but Hey Ho; looking around at the World, I don't know why I should think we've evolved AT ALL anyway. As far as a job is concerned, if it's an individuals choice to have or not have a tattoo; then it's also the employers individual choice whether they employ you or not...................you can't have it both ways.

Message 8 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Obvious Tats = No normal Job

Message 9 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

I'm afraid it's a human fault we do go by first impressions, the guy who owns the tattoo parlour in the town has his face & body covered in highly colourful tats, when I first saw him I thought " whoa" but as I've now got to know him he is charming ,a nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet, underneath all that carp he is a handsome fella, it's an individual's choice to wear tats, but in fairness I honestly think in certain jobs they are very off putting, it is a shallow reaction but it's an honest one, I certainly wouldn't take my accountant seriously if she was wearing tats all over her arms & neck. You may think that's patronising but certain jobs do actually have dress codes & that includes the none visible signs of tats & OTT piercings!.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

@paul4757 wrote:

Are you always that patronising and do you always judge people just on their

looks and not their acts?

Im NOT patronising at all thank you!!!!. Were you born with Big size tens which you put into everything?.

Message 11 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Can anyone see the person with the Tattoos above behind the tills in Marks and Sparks then cos i cant????,,,or am i missing something?.Woman Indifferent 

Message 12 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

I think it's very helpful of chavs to add an external warning sign so that we can steer well clear. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Hi everyone,

I would like to kindly ask everyone to stick to the topic. Please refrain from interpersonal disputes as they go against our Community Guidelines.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Cheers

rvincent-78
Community Moderator

Message 14 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Thanks Moderator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Woman Very Happy

Message 15 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Tell you what I wouldn't go for makeup advice if they were serving on the cosmetic counter. Fancy waking up from anaesthesia in Hospital & seeing that checking your vital signs, or maybe having her/ him assisting with your dental treatment,
This lady/ gent is the extreme & probably is in a Fetish club, but I hope you can see what I mean?

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

Most leg and arm tattoos are covered up for most of the year - given our inclement weather - and thankfully only visible for roughly a couple of weeks or so, so what is the point of them ? Artistically executed maybe, but I fail to see why anyone would have a desire to permanently scar their entire arms and legs with ink. And I often wonder just how many of these same people have regretted it, or will do so in the future.

A small tattoo fine, but I do not get these obtrusive and ostentatious daubings. 

Mister EMB

Message 17 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

@saasher2012 wrote:
Tell you what I wouldn't go for makeup advice if they were serving on the cosmetic counter. Fancy waking up from anaesthesia in Hospital & seeing that checking your vital signs, or maybe having her/ him assisting with your dental treatment,
This lady/ gent is the extreme & probably is in a Fetish club, but I hope you can see what I mean?

Lol if you had had a Heart Attack,, you would have another if you saw that in the Hospital!.

Message 18 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

24.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 19 of 63
See Most Recent

Tattoo Bans

I have a few tatts. I got them when I was in the forces. But even back then, I was fairly sensible and I had them placed where I could cover them up with either a shirt or something similar.  I guess that I knew that a Bull's eye in my forehead would be a bad idea when I left the Army and went for a job in a pub as a bar/cellarman, (I wanted to own a pub at one time) ... 

Message 20 of 63
See Most Recent