Does anyone know anything about......

Does anyone know anything about a pre-recorded telephone message from an international number which rattles on about unsecured loans over £5000?

I've had several and they rattle on so long I just ring off but I can't find anything on the net about them, what they want or where they're coming from.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

I take it they are not leaving a telephone number you can trace?..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

No, all that comes up is "International" but the typically English female voice is very similar to lots of auto pre-recorded messages.

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Tell them you will take the £5000 and see what firm they give..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Then Tommy, you pay a huge amount for just replying by phone...... and they've got what they wanted.

I assume that's one of the reasons CD searches the net. 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

When searching, it depends on what search criteria you use.

After trying half a dozen different now, I came across a response saying it was something to do with a scam where they "informed" people "that due to new regulations people with unsecured debt of over £5000 can have 70% written off......."

I suppose it'd be one of those things where they'd either try to get you to pay some fee or other up-front or try to get you to "sign up" for something where the fees would only add to your debt.

They're a nuisance anyway and being "International", I can't block them except to block all international calls.

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Only a suggestion, but I wonder if it's one of those calls that  wracks up money on your bill and somehow gets paid to them? I'm not entirely sure how that works but I have heard of it happening.

If you are with BT and have an on-line account you can check the number against the listings on the calls made even if the number is blocked on 1471.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

It only shows "International" on the incoming and you can't rack up any charges by just answering.

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Press and hold down the number 9, especially if it has number press options at the end.

It doesn't always work though the default programming for recorded marketing message calls, number 9 is remove detail's from database.

Try it at any time during call, if the message stops then it has worked, though sometimes you might possibly need to wait for the options to input the 9.

It was advice I received years ago and have used it and it does seem to work. Not sure why such a thing isn't widely known though.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

It only shows "International" on the incoming and you can't rack up any charges by just answering.

You'd be surprised!

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=scams+on+incoming+phone+calls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Oh and check out Snopes, admittedly a while ago and in the US.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes as you say, pressing number 9 does work, sometimes in the middle of the call and sometimes at the end.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent