sales have dropped off a cliff

so recently my sales slowed for no apparent reason. i already use promoted listings so i decided to run a 5% discount campaign which did help.

unfortunately, when that discount campaign ended on 30th April my sales have almost stopped.

i have started a new 5% discount campaign a few days ago but no improvement as yet.

i have just spoken to customer services who say their IT department are going to look into it to see if they can see why this has happened.

its no coincidence that my sales stalled on the same day that my discount campaign ended but i wondered if anybody can advise me on what if anything i can do to get back where i was as my sales are not even worth looking at at the moment which is pretty disheartening.

any advice would be apprecited.

thank you

Screenshot 2024-05-10 165127.jpg

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

If it is any consolation, my sales seemed to die around the end of April and I wasn't running any promotions or sales that finished then, so seems to be some ebay glitch.  I started to feel like a switch had been flicked.

I am barely making enough to cover my shop fees at the moment so I'm feeling pretty disillusioned.

I sell in a different category and do think that the "free to sell clothes" for private sellers is affecting things - I suppose it is bound to, but it is making it completely not worthwhile to run a shop / business with clothes now.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes I am experiencing this too seen a dramatic drop within the last month.  I've not   had any negitive feedback as I know this can make sales slow.  If it carries on like this I will have to think about the future as it isnt really worthwile, with the rise of postal fees and ebay fees. heres hoping that it improves for us all.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

My sales have tanked to. Spoke with ebay for business who checked my account and could see no problems.  I have made £20.14 after fees since Tuesday. 
Ebay for business advice was to increase my promoted listing percentage (I promote at the minimum of 2%) to at least 12.9% which apparently raise me higher in the listings and 'might' increase my sales.

I pay them £92 pm plus fvf and they want me to give them even more money! 

Crazy.

I'm seriously considering downgrading my shop. This is my worst week ever after nearly 9 years on ebay. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes pretty much the same, I have made 15.56 after fees so far this week and postage has to come out of that.  My 92.00 shop fee had to be taken from my bank account to the tune of 62.57 as I didn't have enough to cover it, it's beyond a joke now.

I have stopped promoting as I didn't think it made any difference - I was promoting around 6% a while back and sales were not much better - incidentally I wasn't promoting when the sales tanked recently, so I would say that isn't the reason - and like you say ebay are paid enough (more than I am getting at the moment).

I have been reducing my prices to try and run my stock down, as I also need to downgrade my shop, I would rather the buyers get a better deal than give the money to ebay.

It just all seems so unfair that business sellers are paying so much and private sellers selling clothes are getting a free ride, although it is interesting to see that the people involved in this thread all sell in different categories to clothes so it does appear to have tanked across the board!

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Same for us basically no sales or very few, hardly any impressions either some days. Customer service is no help, according to them everything is fine etc. I think they are in the dark as much as us. The only time this has happend before like this was a hacking in 2014 and then again in 2017 and they had to reboot systems. This problem has been ever since the wrong postal addresses were given to sellers at the beginning of April with the ios system. 

Ebay has been down at certain points through out the day for the last month according to ebay down detector, which processes reports from sellers in the UK.

Something is wrong, but this time ebay has not been forthcoming in letting us know what is happening. 

I have just got off the phone to customer service and there is nothing wrong with our account, nothing wrong with ebay systems, so it must be seasonal 🙂 🙂 🙂

I now know how the people connected to the Horizon post office scandal felt. My situation does not even compare 1% to that situation, but the denial of something being wrong is absolutly gut wrenching and I am now seriously rethinking my whole relationship with money, being self employed and life in general. 

I really truely feel like just getting a job in a pub kitchen or hotel and washing the dishes. I woud be on double what I get now an hr and I would not have to stress about anything other than, are the plates clean.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: