Why do people do this?

Why do people ask questions, get the answers they want but then not bid?

I've recently been listing 'cash on collection only' items.  I don't like doing this but for some things it's my only option, either because they're too big, heavy, awkward or fragile to post or because they're unusual and I want the buyer to see it first before payment, to avoid any 'not as described' claims or scams.

I'm used to the messages asking variations of, "Will you post it".  But recently I've had a few where people have messaged asking about collection arrangements, such as will I hold it until they can get here in a few weeks (yes), when can I be available for collection (most days by arrangement) and is parking available (yes).  So they get positive responses to all their questions but then they don't bid and I never hear from them again.

Is this just people who happen to change their mind, or do they enjoy wasting their time and mine when they've no intention of buying?  Or is it the lead-in to some kind of scam I'm not aware of but should be?  

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why do people do this?

@tressygirl is probably right, but I would personally opt for one of your other options, is that they like to waste your time. Some of the requests sometimes beggar belief. It gets to the point where you think, you are not going to win this auction and you end up not replying.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Why do people do this?

No scam, just some peeps even if they do receive all the answers they require, are allowed,  and do change their minds.

Far better they change their mind before bidding and not paying , then winning an auction and not coming to collect and you're stuck with an item  for days, before  being able to cancel the order .

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

@tressygirl is probably right, but I would personally opt for one of your other options, is that they like to waste your time. Some of the requests sometimes beggar belief. It gets to the point where you think, you are not going to win this auction and you end up not replying.

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Yep, @tommystrezures  I agree with the fact there are timewasters,  but anyone continually asking questions, or daft ones, they're straight on my Blocked Buyers list.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Note to self.... don't ask Tressygirl daft questions!!! 😂

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Very true that it's better than bidding and not coming to collect.  I've had one of those recently, and suspect I may currently have another.

Just as long as it isn't some kind of potential scam, that's always my worry.

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

No,  I can't see a scam here, just changes of mind.  You do put trouble makers on your BBL  Blocked buyer's list don't you ?

Here it is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

@tommystrezures wrote:

Note to self.... don't ask Tressygirl daft questions!!! 😂

Ha , Ha , but I always have time for you Tommy !

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Sorry, just hit the wrong button and accepted this as the solution when I only wanted to reply!

I've certainly had my share of unreasonable requests.  Possibly the best was someone who contacted me about a cast iron railway sign that I could barely lift, listed as collection only.  First he asked if I would keep it until he was travelling to my area in a few weeks.  Yes, no problem.  So he bid and won.  Only then did he tell me he was travelling through (not actually to) my area by train.  He expected me to take the sign to the railway station, see which platform his train was stopping at, wait there for it to arrive and hand the sign over to him on the train.  

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Thank you, yes I do.  

I put added one recently who kept hassling me about an item, along the lines of there's been no bids yet, why won't you accept an offer.  From what I could see on his profile he wouldn't have been able to bid anyway because he wasn't in the UK but I blocked him just in case.  Sure enough, according to the buyer requirements activity log, he tried to bid but was blocked due to his location.  When I relisted he still kept messaging me and although those messages didn't actually go into my Inbox, presumably because I'd blocked him, they did show up on my selling overview page.  It was quite amusing.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

lets hope the train sign didn't have something to the affect of platform number that would have caused amusement and confusion, or perhaps he had bought a "Do not alight here sign" 😂 (Sorry OP i have had too many cups of coffee this morning and my humour then gets worse!)

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

@snivelserpent wrote:

I've certainly had my share of unreasonable requests.  Possibly the best was someone who contacted me about a cast iron railway sign that I could barely lift, listed as collection only.  First he asked if I would keep it until he was travelling to my area in a few weeks.  Yes, no problem.  So he bid and won.  Only then did he tell me he was travelling through (not actually to) my area by train.  He expected me to take the sign to the railway station, see which platform his train was stopping at, wait there for it to arrive and hand the sign over to him on the train.  

That is actually amazing! 😀

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

I wondered if he'd watched 'Brief Encounter' too many times!

I can't actually remember which sign it was, only that I wouldn't have been able to lift it into the car let alone carry it through a railway station (having first had to re-mortgage the house to pay for the parking at Wolverhampton station, and buy a platform ticket - if such a thing still exists).  When I refused to do it, his wife sent me a snotty message about how unreasonable I was being.

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Then the stupid Qs mean you have a chance to check out their FB and how many negs theyve left other sellers.  Generally they come hand in hand and I then thank them for giving me a chance to block them and save myself the grief 

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

It's a mystery. Seen it all....

Can this scarf be washed? (Yes being the good answer.... Indeed it was washable.... No sale). 

Is this coat down filled (again, yes.....no sale). 

Do you accept returns? (Yes...no sale). 

Is this genuine ('if you have to ask, buy from a business you trust'... No sale 😂). 

People change their mind more than the weather. The answers are all in our listings already so I guess that because they haven't read the details, they aren't really after the item that badly and so when they get the answers they want, they've decided they don't want it. 

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Gumtree is even worse, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights after the pubs have shut.

My best one though was when I was selling a 3 piece suite, obviously for collection only:

Question - will it fit in my lounge?

Next question - can you bring it so that we can try it?

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Buyer:  Is your organza silk?

Me: Yes

Buyer: Pure silk?

Buyer: 100% pure silk?

Buyer: It seems to be too cheap to be 100% silk

Me (getting fed up): If you Google 'Silk Organza' you can find it at the higher price you want to pay

Buyer:  I don't want to pay more

Me: Didn't bother to respond.  Added buyer to BBL.

Buyer:  You're just a scammer.  It's not silk.  I'm going to report you.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

In my experience, I'm an old fart who has sold online in different ways and offline in other ways for perhaps 40 years.  You should look at these contacts as a chance to get a sale. If you can offer the person a little extra in your rely. For example;

Will you post this if I pay the postage? Yes and tell you what, I'll go halves on the postage if you buy today as I need it out of the way.

Can I pick this up on Tuesday around 7 pm? Yes if you make payment today.

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

When I started on eBay, due to inexperience I'm sure I must've asked a few questions that sellers thought daft. I was fortunate that every seller answered, and that they didn't block me. Some of them went on to become sellers I regularly buy from.

Buyers all have to start somewhere!

And yes, before joining, I did read the site FAQs, browsed for tips online, and looked through the Discussion Boards, but there's a lot to take in, it's a steep learning curve at the start. You'll always get some daft buyers, but most are genuine albeit some aren't as considerate of sellers as they should be and seem to forget they're dealing with fellow-people.

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Why do people do this?

Try replying only to sensible questions for starters . If you've listed as " Collection Only" there's no point in replying to the question " Will you post".

You're never going to get around the stupidity of some people.

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: