TREATED DREADFUL OFF EBAY!! AS A SELLER!

I started selling in January 23,  after a could of weeks I started to buy what was advertised as genuine stamps.  Upon using these to send items soon became apparent that they were fake and customers started to not receive items! This affected my seller dynamics somewhat. Once I got on top of this things seemed a little better although my statistics didn't seem to improve very much even with the amount of items I was selling but a couple of neutral feedbacks along the way I listed new items but used an old advert I had I copied and pasted this but forgot to proof read it and it had items sent by signed for with Royal Mail ( One customer messaged me asking if for tracking information to which I explained he wasn't happy with my explanation and proceeded to be very awkward with his messages before I could reply. The guy had complained to eBay and reported me and eBay revolt me as a seller)  they asked me for information and where I purchased my items. I was selling which I provided. They asked me for positive feedback which I provided and any proof of postage for all of the items I had ever sold Like anyone keeps all that??  Provided all this and it wasn't satisfactory for eBay and they ended my account.  WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SITE!!  

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@woolman23 wrote:

If this is the case why haven't they warned me or advised me to do something about it?  Just someone was petty and I get banned 

It's really down to you to understand how to trade correctly.

A private seller is one who is just selling off their own personal items such as clothes from their wardrobe, bits from their loft/garage etc.

A Business seller is someone who buys or makes items to sell on.  They need to be registered as a business to meet the requirements of UK law. They need to declare income to HMRC once they reach £1,000 worth of sales (eBay will be providing HMRC with your details anyway so it's vital to keep correct accounts for your tax return). You can obviously offset more expenses as a business seller, but can't offset any at all as a private one.  

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Not proof reading & not being correctly registered as a Business Seller can lead to dire consequences... as you have discovered.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Ebay's radar picked up on the fact that you weren't registered correctly.

In the not too distant future i expect to see many more posts like yours OP.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I don't need to be registered as a business to sell on eBay.  It doesn't sell or make enough to pay for it to be a business account.   I did everything they asked and it wasn't good enough and one person who certainly received the item as the rest have sent the same claims he hasn't and also got his money back 

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

"I don't need to be registered as a business to sell on eBay.  It doesn't sell or make enough to pay for it to be a business account." 

If and when HMRC comes knocking that won't wash.

And if HMRC decide you are incorrectly registered, expect them to dig back years.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

My annual earning are less than £12.570  with job and eBay..  why let me sell if I have to have a business account?   

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

A business account is necessary to comply with consumer laws, not tax laws.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Business registration is a legal requirement set down in consumer and anti competition laws and not part of HMRC remit,though they may report to Trading Standards and DWP who in turn may prosecute.

Tax would only be paid on any profit from sales

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

If this is the case why haven't they warned me or advised me to do something about it?  Just someone was petty and I get banned 

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@woolman23 wrote:

It's really down to you to understand how to trade correctly.

A private seller is one who is just selling off their own personal items such as clothes from their wardrobe, bits from their loft/garage etc.

A Business seller is someone who buys or makes items to sell on.  They need to be registered as a business to meet the requirements of UK law. They need to declare income to HMRC once they reach £1,000 worth of sales (eBay will be providing HMRC with your details anyway so it's vital to keep correct accounts for your tax return). You can obviously offset more expenses as a business seller, but can't offset any at all as a private one.  

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: