Selling Advice

Just looking for some advice, I sold some used apple Airtags. I deleted them from Apple Find Me site.

However I forgot to reset them.

The process for doing so is rather tricky:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/102577#:~:text=Press%20down%20on%20the%20battery,until%20you%20hear%....

However I have done it before recently and I know the tags were working fine before I sent to him as I recnelty had to replace all the batteries.

He has asked for a refund as he says they are "faulty", I asked him to make sure he has followed the above steps.

He says he has but I suspect he hasn't.

It was my fault to not reset it before I sold them.

So I can offer him a full refund, or offer him a partial refund.

I have already spent £11.34 of fees so I would rather charge him that as I  know 100% he isn't following the apple procedure correctly.

If I offer him  a refund will he or do I have to pay for the return? 

Cheers

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Selling Advice

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Used items should not require a buyer to perform some tricky procedure to make them work.  Your buyer has grounds for a not as described case.   If you want the item back and a fee credit you will need to get them to open one of those.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

ok fair enough what's the differance between "user has requested a refund" vs "not as described case. "?

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

The first is "change of mind" where buyer pays the return postage.   The second is a "not as described" return where the return postage is paid for by the seller.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

What reason did they give for the refund request, assuming it's a formal case not just a message?

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

Either way, you should get your fees back.

However, if the buyer opens a case and you provide a tracked label to get the item back, Ebay will not expect you to refund until tracking shows you have the item back.

If the buyer sends the item back without opening a case, there is no protection for them. Ebay can't step in if you claim the item has not been returned and you refuse to refund.

If you refund the buyer without getting the item back, they then have no incentive to return the item so you would have no item and no money.

Do this properly. Ask them to open an 'item not as described' case, provide a label, and refund when you get the item back.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

The user only has the below options for a return I don't see one for "not as described" 

ukmercenary_0-1715165450296.png

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

They said item is defective which it is not and yes it was formal

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

Not as Described is now being described there,  as .... Doesn't match description or photos.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

ok thanks I have accepeted the return will await it back before I refund

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

@ukmercenary wrote:

The user only has the below options for a return I don't see one for "not as described" 

The reasons I have highlighted with a red dot are "item not as described" (INAD) reasons; the green ones are remorse (change of mind) reasons. "Doesn't fit" is usually a remorse reason but in some categories where there is a "compatibility" item specific it can be classed as an INAD reason.

The seller is always responsible for resolving a return request opened for an INAD (red) reason:

inadcolours.png

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

So I got the Apple AirTag back today and they all work perfectly and my iphone was able to detect them in a few seconds.

I reported the buyer it is a shame Ebay doesn't allow me to leave him a bad review.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Selling Advice

" they all work perfectly and my iphone was able to detect them "

Erm ,obviously because they are STILL connected to your device hence buyer had good reaon to request a return.

You couldn't make it up lol.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: