Royal Mail - Supplemental charge will apply for drop off

I bought a label via the RM site, didn't hear the doorbell, missed collection, so took the parcel to the post office.  RM charged me a supplemental 20p for drop off as they had my card details and I was notified via the email address they hold for me.

Every label I print now, via eBay postage, says a supplemental charge will apply even though I double check I've ticked the 'drop off' box.

Anyone else getting this - don't see that they can apply the 20p charge as label bought via packlink, but would be good to know what's going on!

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When RM24 and RM48 methods of postage were introduced they were not covered by any handling agreement between Royal Mail and the Post Office (unlike all other forms of mail, for which RM pays POs a handling fee for each item) and initially POs accepted these 'drop-offs' but received no income.

Last year RM reached a handling agreement with the PO and a 'supplementary charge' was introduced for both RM24 and RM48 items; initially it was 15p but rose to 20p at the beginning of last month (April 2024).

The supplementary charge only applies if you take the item to a PO. Now it may be that you are unable to request collection when purchasing the label, in which case eBay is (correctly) forewarning you that you will be charged an additional 20p when you take the item to a PO. You do not, however, have to do that unless you want proof of postage - you can drop the item in a parcel collection box and that will not incur the 20p surcharge.

By the way, your second paragraph ("Every label I print now, via eBay postage, says a supplemental charge will apply even though I double check I've ticked the 'drop off' box.") is a little confusing. Did you mean you double-check that you've unticked the drop-off box? - because if you ticked the drop-off box then it is correct that a supplementary charge will apply. But only when you actually drop it off at a PO.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

When RM24 and RM48 methods of postage were introduced they were not covered by any handling agreement between Royal Mail and the Post Office (unlike all other forms of mail, for which RM pays POs a handling fee for each item) and initially POs accepted these 'drop-offs' but received no income.

Last year RM reached a handling agreement with the PO and a 'supplementary charge' was introduced for both RM24 and RM48 items; initially it was 15p but rose to 20p at the beginning of last month (April 2024).

The supplementary charge only applies if you take the item to a PO. Now it may be that you are unable to request collection when purchasing the label, in which case eBay is (correctly) forewarning you that you will be charged an additional 20p when you take the item to a PO. You do not, however, have to do that unless you want proof of postage - you can drop the item in a parcel collection box and that will not incur the 20p surcharge.

By the way, your second paragraph ("Every label I print now, via eBay postage, says a supplemental charge will apply even though I double check I've ticked the 'drop off' box.") is a little confusing. Did you mean you double-check that you've unticked the drop-off box? - because if you ticked the drop-off box then it is correct that a supplementary charge will apply. But only when you actually drop it off at a PO.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

@brindsey wrote:

Anyone else getting this - don't see that they can apply the 20p charge as label bought via packlink, but would be good to know what's going on!

RM labels bought on ebay do not go via Packlink, it's just RM via ebay.

As the previous poster said, the 20p extra is only if you drop off at a PO. We drop off at the RM delivery office and there is no extra charge there. (Yet another reason for me never to set foot in a PO again!).

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Hi both, and thank you for your replies. 

Sorry to confuse, but what I should have said is that when I select the postage option, you can select either pick up or drop off and I always select the drop off.

So, can Royal Mail charge the 20p drop off (and I haven't seen any notification of this in my main email as I did when I bought the postage via RM direct) when they haven't got access to my details as I've bought the postage via eBay?

Thing is most of my listings are 'same day' postage, and I don't want to risk a delayed collection.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

If you select drop off you will be charged the 20p supplement.

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

In my view Royal Mail and the Post Office haven't got themselves into a very good position with Tracked parcels and this surcharge. The Royal Mail website (send.royalmail.com) correctly shows when a Post Office drop of charge applies, but eBay doesn't - eBay just offers drop off or collection but fails to mention that dropping off at the Post Office has a surcharge. It's not surprising that there is confusion.

If you want to avoid the surcharge then don't use Post Office. Drop off at Royal Mail delivery office or a parcel post box.

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Is it possible to buy RM24/RM48 eBay postage labels but drop off at the post office? As mentioned there is a drop off charge/surcharge but can this be paid for at the PO counter? It's difficult for me to get to a delivery office and there are no parcel boxes near by! Thank you.

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

The non-eBay set-up is that when you purchase an RM24/RM48 postage label via RM's website you are informed that dropping the item off at a PO will incur an additional charge of 20p. This additional charge is deducted automatically from the same payment method you used to purchase the original label and is applied as soon as the item is scanned at, and only at, a PO - dropping off in a parcel box, a district office or having it collected at home does not incur the fee.

I'd like to assume that the same applies to labels purchased via eBay - as kempseykate mentioned in Post 3, it's just RM via eBay - but eBay being eBay it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 20p charge was added at the time of purchase. It shouldn't be, and if it is then that's wrong, but I've never tried purchasing an RM24/RM48 label via eBay so I couldn't comment on whether it does or not.

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

When buying RM labels via eBay there is not currently the option to pay the 20p PO drop off fee. When I occasionally need such a label e.g. for Medium parcel I buy via send.royalmail.com not eBay.

Others have posted here that their PO charge them the 20p at the point of drop off. Some POs may waive the fee (maybe if you buy something else at the same time).

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

I pay for all postage via paypal and  checked whether I've been incurring this 20p charge.   I send all my parcels RM 48 hour tracked via eBay, and all payments are in multiples of £3.39. 

There is only one charge of 20p. which is the one I knew about (in the opening post) when I actually booked a collection, didn't hear the doorbell so took the package to the Post Office.   All other times I've clicked 'drop off' and I've definitely not been charged.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

"All other times I've clicked 'drop off' and I've definitely not been charged."

That is actually very interesting, brindsey - do you mean that you clicked drop-off and then took the item to a PO but not been charged or that you clicked drop-off but had the item collected?

If the former then what should (and I stress should) happen is that once the item is scanned when you drop it off at a PO an additional 20p debit is made from the account which was used to purchase the label initially. That's certainly how it works when I buy an RM48 label direct from RM's website using PayPal: I drop it off at a PO and by the time I get home I have an email titled "Royal Mail - Supplemntary Charge Information" confirming the additional 20p charge.

If you are selecting the 'drop-off' option and then taking the item to a PO but not being charged then that would point to an error in eBay's process, but I can't see how RM would not attempt to collect a supplementary charge just because the label had been purchased via eBay. It may be that supplementary charges are being paid (possibly unknowingly) by a completely different eBay account, but I can't help but wonder whether you're simply not being informed of it because you're buying an RM label via eBay.

My best suggestion would be to check whatever account you use to purchase RM labels via eBay for any non-notified 20p (15p prior to April 2024) supplementary charges - there may well be some about which you have been completely unaware.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

Hi Runner,

"My best suggestion would be to check whatever account you use to purchase RM labels via eBay for any non-notified 20p (15p prior to April 2024) supplementary charges - there may well be some about which you have been completely unaware."

I've checked back to the beginning of March, definitely no 15/20 p surcharges.  

All my eBay purchases, non of which have attracted a surchage, have a blue solid circle with eBay in the middle.  

The one transaction where I booked a collection has a red solid circle and Royal Group Limited, as does the surcharge of 20p.

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

How bizarre.

Whilst the automatic payment of 20p to Royal Mail Group Ltd on 19th April is correct (because you dropped the item off at a PO), you should have an identical 20p payment taken every time you drop an item off at a PO, but from what you've written it appears that has not happened.

I'm inclined to think that, on occasions when you are selecting the 'drop-off' option, the supplementary charge is actually being paid by eBay, and you were charged on the one occasion you selected 'collection' but took the item to a PO because part of the process (taking the item to a PO when you had selected collection) was outside the parameters of the initial purchase.

The only way to confirm any of the above would be to check with eBay, though considering it may lead to supplementary surcharges being deducted from any account (and for 'any' read 'every') which purchases a drop-off label in future, perhaps it's best to leave this particular can of worms well alone...

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

"best to leave this particular can of worms well alone..."         Done!

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

I've never been charged and I drop mine off at the post office all the time.

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

If you purchase the label from the RM website, there's a box to tick for 'Include Parcelshop (Collect+ or Post Office) drop off in price'.  This changes the prices to include the supplementary charge and you can just hand it in at the PO as normal.

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

@ictioo wrote:

I've never been charged and I drop mine off at the post office all the time.

Are you dropping off at a main post office or a sub post office? I found that I got charged for dropping off at a main post office but not at my local sub post office. I suspect the sub post office were not scanning the label whereas the main office was.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

No, the drop off was a sub post office, where I drop off all my parcels and where I've never been charged the 20p supplement other than in the one instance when I missed the collection.  

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

i`ve had this happen to me twice, epecially over the last couple of years where i get bigger stuff collected, but twice, they failed to turn up and collect the item, so had to go the post office. Both times i was charged 16p for their failure. Now obviously, i`m hardly going to go bankrupt over it, but it is a bit cheeky of them to do that when it was their fault i had to go there in the first place!

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Do you buy the postage labels through eBay?

Thanks

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: