Need some advice, I want to cancel what someone won.

Hello, this is my first time posting on here so please be gentle with me. 
So basically, I've been trying to find a new home for one of my Nan fairly large/tall wall unit. I didn't want any money. Just needed it gone. Charity shops couldn't help.
I stuck it on eBay starting at 10p. I stated in the listing that buyer must have large vehicle to collect as it's quite heavy and maybe two people because I won't be able to help. The person who won the item told me AFTER they won that they will have a delivery company collecting it and they will arrange a time that suits me. Tbh I'm not comfortable with this. I feel he should have contacted me about this before. He now has my number. The auction ended yesterday morning. I have sent him a message asking if he has been in contact with a delivery company but yet to have a response. But he did say yesterday that he will wait for the delivery company to have the right price for him.
I would really like to just cancel this whole thing and refund his 10p. Am I allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You ask ...  ' How long do I hold it for?'  There's no definitive answer,  but 7 days seems to be the norm and fair.

As your buyer only bought it a few days ago,  I'd wait another day or two,   then send a polite message, to say if you do not hear by ***day ,  you deem the item to be unwanted,  and will be cancelling the order.

If there's still no communication,  cancel citing.... Buyer Requests to Cancel.  This will then not affect your seller performance.

If you do relist it , as suggested by Vyolla , relist at a reasonable price,  it is a very nice cabinet, and you may receive a more genuine buyer.

@guitarpumpkin 

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

You can cancel using 'problem with buyers address' as you listed it as collection in person and did not expect a courier to collect. When you cancel,  make sure you uncheck the automatic relist button.

Nice cabinet.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Yes.  Go to the dropdown arrow on the far right of the item on your sold page > Cancel order > Something wrong with buyer's address,  that's the nearest one to this situation.   The refund will be issued in the process.

And put their ID on your blocked bidder list:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerBlock

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Hi thanks to both replies. Also I'll add that I had it for sale (free to collect) on marketplace. He contacted me Saturday asking if it was still available. When I checked out his Facebook page, it didn't look like it was very active. So I ignored the message. Then Sunday morning an hour before the auction ends the same guy messaged me on Facebook saying he thinks it's the same item he's seen on eBay which he has bidded on and that he wants it. So I thought he was pretty genuine. The auction ends and he wins. I asked him if he had transport to collect it and he said no it's too heavy for him to collect. He'll arrange for a delivery company to come and collect. I told him I would've preferred it if he had asked me about this first, but the way he was talking was like it was normal. I've never dealt with a delivery company collecting anything so it's not sitting well with me. I don't know if he has contacted a courier to pick it up apparently they will be contacting me to arrange a suitable time. This has put me on edge. I don't want to cancel it and then find out he's already paid someone. He did mention Shipley. I'd never heard of them!

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Shiply are good for large/heavy items:

http://www.shiply.com

They tend to be lorries doing other jobs and have spare capacity.   It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

At the end of the day, the most you can lose over this transaction is 10p

If you want it gone, I would let them collect

Even if it goes horribly wrong, you only have to refund 10p..

It cost you more than 10p to sell it! 

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

I agree with Myriad. The orst that can happen is that your buyer says Not as Described. So you refund their 10p without return. 

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Good Evening GP

Assuming you cancel the sale.  Why don't you contact/speak to a local auction house and see if they will sell it for you. It is very attractive and if they are interested they may come and collect it.

Good luck

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Having read the replies on this thread, I would say that @dancewithadingo has made a very good point.  You said that you didn't want any money for the item and that you just wanted it gone.  If you really don't want any money for it, then if you do decide to go down the auction house route why don't you put the money towards a charity?  If you can think of a charity that your Nan would have approved of the money going to then donate the proceeds of the auction to that charity - that way the item's out of your way and the proceeds of the sale are helping a worthwhile cause.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

And OP would get their fees  back but not the 30p, so would only be 20p down on the deal 

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Good Evening M25

Thank you for those kind words.  He/she was going to donate 10% of the proceeds of the sale to Woking Hospice. Unfortunately that means that they only get 1p.

If he speaks to Ewbanks,an auction house with a fine reputation and reasonably close to the seller then they could well be interested in the item.  If they sold it then knowing the proceeds were goimng to Woking Hospice they might waive their sales fee.

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Thanks so much to all of you taking the time out to share your thoughts. I think I will wait it out. I'll give it till the end of the week and if no one contacts me then I'll look to donating it again. It's a lovely wall unit. It's cost me 21p to sell it! I did have it on for charity. Thanks all 

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

At the end of the day, the most you can lose over this transaction is 10p

As the buyer would be arranging their own courier (a third-party) to collect the item they would be forfeiting their Money Back Guarantee protection. The OP should be able to get any MBG case closed in their favour as long as they at least obtain the courier's tracking number or a signature on the (printed) eBay order when they collect.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

Oh wow, that's a great unit - I have the matching sideboard that I bought in our local charity shop (paid £100 for it though).

I can see no issue with your buyer sending a courier to collect it, but will say that items listed at a really low price (or free on Facebook and other local sites) give the impression of having very little value, and that the seller is looking for somebody to take it to the tip for them. The 'perceived value' of anything you list is really important. You really should have listed it at a much higher price. Even starting the bidding at £25 would have been better than 10p.

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Good Evening GP

There is another thought/option.  In this area,if you are over a certain age the local council offer a free collection service for large bulky items.  That said it looks too good to scrap. Your council may offer the same service. 

Additionally why not contact a charity, not a charity shop, who need furniture for the needy in some of the houses that they rent out.

My best advice is to speak to Ewbanks.

On a frivilous note if you want it gone then get it into your front garden with a sign saying 'for sale £30.00 ONO'.  By morning you will probably find it has disappeared.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

There is a minimum charity donation of 10% or £1 so that is 99p down.

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

not sure what your problem is, you want rid of the piece of furniture and someone is willing to take it and even pay for a delivery firm to collect it.   Why is it so important that he did not ask you about a delivery firm beforehand?  I doubt if many people would have their own transport for a large item like this.  

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Hi, I don't mind that the buyer is arranging their own collection the thing is he's not getting back to my messages. He's reading them but he's not getting back to me. How long do I hold it for? I want it gone. Missed call from the British Heart Foundation yesterday enquiring about this cabinet. I think the buyer is waiting patiently for the right price to come along, but that isn't fair on me.

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

You ask ...  ' How long do I hold it for?'  There's no definitive answer,  but 7 days seems to be the norm and fair.

As your buyer only bought it a few days ago,  I'd wait another day or two,   then send a polite message, to say if you do not hear by ***day ,  you deem the item to be unwanted,  and will be cancelling the order.

If there's still no communication,  cancel citing.... Buyer Requests to Cancel.  This will then not affect your seller performance.

If you do relist it , as suggested by Vyolla , relist at a reasonable price,  it is a very nice cabinet, and you may receive a more genuine buyer.

@guitarpumpkin 

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: