Delivering a collection only or postage item

On occasion I have delivered an item originally marked to be posted; perhaps because the buyer is local or I'm passing. In such circumstances I refund the postage. Does this present any problems as far as seller protection, delivery times etc. are concerned?

Similarly I've had a potential buyer ask me to deliver a large collection only item. They live some distance away, but want it delivered to friends staying locally on holiday. The mechanics would work as if it was collected, but they wouldn't come to my address. Again, does this present a problem as regards seller protections or MBG, or would it still count as them collecting?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Cash on collection after purchase is always the best for a seller, as then there is no comeback for any case of item not as described.

As there is no tracking numbers, to give you some seller protection here,  I would recommend printing off a copy of the order details,  and have the recipient sign it as delivered.  For the holiday address,  ask that buyer when clicking on the Buy it Now on the left to change the delivery details to that holiday address.  Printing off that order detail ensure that address is showing, that is the one selected by the buyer.

You then finalise the transactions this way:

You need to do this now, only on the Seller Hub here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/landing

Then, go to Orders >> Awaiting Postage, click on the item , then top left View Order details, on the right from More Actions drop down menu, Mark as Dispatched.

Dispatched is eBay's wording for a collected item.

@cra2992 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Your problem will be that you won't have tracking to prove delivery, which is what eBay requires on an item listed with postage.

So you may be in an awkward position if the buyer claims non delivery.  If they do, you will have to try and persuade eBay to move away from set processes and scripts and accept alternative evidence such as messages and signed receipts.

Good luck with that! 

Delivery times won't matter as long as the buyer doesn't mark it down when leaving feedback.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: