Buyers And sellers leaving eBay

These figures are cut and pasted from the EBAY Inc Q4 Results

• Annual active buyers declined by 9%, for a total of 147 million global active buyers.
  •  
  • Annual active sellers declined by 8%, for a total of 17 million global active sellers.

So BUYERS declined by just under 15 MILLION

So SELLERS declined by 1.5 MILLION

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

But their losses from the above are more than covered by other means.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

So GLOBAL buyers declined by 15 Million.....that`s not even a drop in the ocean. It`s all relative, maybe you have heard that there are several global conflicts going on? plus the USA is in a terrible mess economicaly and politically, and China also has a drop in revenue, the UK is in a Cost of Living Crisis, and so people around the world are tightening their belts and saving money as best they can. Sellers declined by 1.5 Million.....GOOD, that`s 1.5 Million less compeditors to deal with, and if everyone who came on here saying they were leaving Ebay actually did so, that would be even less! Ebay is not going anywhere soon and will continue to evolve and adapt.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Great Knowledge.

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Crikey...if all the people on here who said they were leaving actually did so, only you and I would be left. 😀

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Wait till the full effects of the DAC7 legislation hits December 31st 2024... 

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Is the "DAC7 legislation" the same as the HMRC crackdown on on-line selling and tax evasion?

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

DAC7 is the EU law. The HMRC crackdown is the UK's version of DAC7.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

What is a DAC7 ? In plain English 

thanks 

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

@supreme_1675 wrote:

These figures are cut and pasted from the EBAY Inc Q4 Results

• Annual active buyers declined by 9%, for a total of 147 million global active buyers.
  •  
  • Annual active sellers declined by 8%, for a total of 17 million global active sellers.

So BUYERS declined by just under 15 MILLION

So SELLERS declined by 1.5 MILLION

@supreme_1675  Those figures were from Q4 2021 and it's even worse now - down to 132 million Active Buyers in Q3 2023, which is the 6th consecutive quarter eBay has had *less* active buyers than they did in Q1 2018.

2023-11-07_16-14-14-2.jpg

They have not reported Active Sellers since Q4 2021, so who knows where that stands now, but I'd be willing to bet it is something less than 17 Million.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Think eBay disregard the facts when there is a dispute from buyers, who know they are on to a winner when they decide to return an item after having damaged it. And getting a full refund. I may have been "caught" this time, but never again.
I for one, will not be using eBay again. There is absolutely no support for the sellers honesty.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Ebay just cover their losses by bumping up seller fees - they are in a win/win situation

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

That's a short term solution until sellers realize they will make more profit selling their items elsewhere. Buyers will also realize they can get the same item(s) elsewhere for cheaper if sellers keep having to increase their prices to cover increased seller fees. I literally see all the time on here people paying for something for three times the price they could have got it elsewhere in the same condition if they'd just done a bit of research. They are even paying way more for items they can still get on eBay for a lot less in similar condition, I thought most people were smarter than that, I obviously overestimated them.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: