BEWARE OF HUGE INCREASE BY ROYAL MAIL

I have just discovered that out of the blue Royal Mail have reduced compensation for 'Signed For' from £50 to £20 (the same cover you get for a non signed for item.

Using a parcel under 2kg as an example with a value of £30 this would normally have cost £5.09 (2nd class) with compensation up to £50.  Today it will still cost you £5.09 but cover is only for £20. If you want to cover for £30 it has to be sent by Special Delivery at a cost of £12.75 !!!!    Whilst its true that it would still be £12.75 up to a value of £750 ... its no good if your sellign medium priced items.

Clearly Royal Mail are lining themselves up for a take over and trying to make the business more appealing ...at our expense !!!

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Royal Mail increased their prices at the beginning of April. Since then, a parcel under 2kg, will cost £6.09, second class signed for, not £5.09, as you state. You are correct that compensation has been reduced to £20.00

If you can, you should use RM Tracked 48. This gives a better service, full tracking, and cover up to £150.00. It also costs only £5.29 if bought online through RM Click and Drop services.

This service is not yet available "over the counter", but we have been assured that it will be soon. (My own PO says it is now overdue)

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

'Royal Mail increased their prices at the beginning of April. Since then, a parcel under 2kg, will cost £6.09, second class signed for, not £5.09, as you state.'

??? I posted a small parcel  2nd class signed for (too big for large letter, weight of 0.129kg) today... it cost £5.09..... I'm looking at the receipt as I type...

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Fully tracked RM48 online postage with free home collection up to 2KG, £150 insured only £3.39 for small parcel, usually delivered in 2 working days.  This online service has been available for 2 years now.

I dont understand why people would use Sign For service that is more expensive .

From Click & Drop online;

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 21.16.43.png

check it out:

https://send.royalmail.com/

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I apologise. You're right - £6.09 is for a medium parcel <2kg, not a small one (£4.59 on Click and Drop)

Tracked48 is £3.39 on C&D, plus a drop-off fee of 20p, so it is still significantly cheaper.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

@vinylscot wrote:

I apologise. You're right - £6.09 is for a medium parcel <2kg, not a small one (£4.59 on Click and Drop)

Tracked48 is £3.39 on C&D, plus a drop-off fee of 20p, so it is still significantly cheaper.

Pretty sure if you use eBay's integrated Royal Mail service, you don't even get charged the 20p if you drop off at a Post Office.

So ultimately for me, it is £3.19 for 2nd Class (low value stuff) vs £3.39 for Tracked 48 (most stuff of value, assuming small parcel and under 2kg) vs £4.59 for the inferior "Signed For" service which does not include tracking (just signature on delivery) and now has no benefits vs Standard Small Parcel 2nd Class in terms of compensation.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

To dougbat20: if you use eBay labels then the 20p PO drop off charge for Tracked parcels can still be applied by your Post Office, unless your PO are generous enough to waive it.

General: Royal Mail want to get rid of Signed For. They are making it less appealing by reducing compensation and increasing prices. You should be using Tracked. The only interim reason to possibly use Signed For is if you can't get online to buy the labels, but as an eBay seller you must be able to get online, so use Tracked.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

RM Tracked 48 & RM Tracked 24

should be available in Post Offices in June, so my branch told me this week.

When you do your calculations for charging Postage, dont forget  to add in the 10% FVF & 0.35% Regulatory Operating Fee plunders ebay take for what ever reason.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

@rjwilmsi wrote:

To dougbat20: if you use eBay labels then the 20p PO drop off charge for Tracked parcels can still be applied by your Post Office, unless your PO are generous enough to waive it.

General: Royal Mail want to get rid of Signed For. They are making it less appealing by reducing compensation and increasing prices. You should be using Tracked. The only interim reason to possibly use Signed For is if you can't get online to buy the labels, but as an eBay seller you must be able to get online, so use Tracked.

Exactly how do the Post Office apply said charge for dropping off an item? I've been to two different Post Offices, the one nearest my work and the one local to where I live. Both have accepted Tracked 48 parcels from me and both have not asked me to pay anything, since the postage was purchased online.

The only time someone is possibly not able to use Tracked 48 is if they don't have a printer AND don't have a smartphone. If they don't have a smartphone, they can print their labels off using a printer and the PC they are using to access eBay. If they don't have a printer, they can use a smartphone (or tablet) to display a QR code and get the Post Office to print the label off. If they have neither then they must be hand writing addresses and paying at the Post Office counter (and of course the Post Office counter charges more).

The same can be said for other couriers - if you're using a Royal Mail alternative then you must have a smartphone or a printer.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: