Absolutely disgusting experience selling on ebay.

Hi, I was a buyer on ebay with 100% feedback and recently started selling used items at very good prices and made the first sale no problem.

I then sold two items recently and both buyers filing for returns on the two items both claiming they were unclean and damaged which was not the case when I packaged and sent them out. 

With the first Ebay refunded the first buyer with no cost to either of us and he left negative feedback. The second buyer almost immediately did the same claiming the flight stick/ joystick was stuck in the forward position yet my Photos show it was fully centred and clean. Ebay gave me no option to challenge the second return so I have had to pay to receive a damaged product back. Although the buyer has good feedback I did not send a broken stick and there are quite a few of them on Ebay so to me it seems it was either damaged in transit (which the buyer refuses to accept) or he is not returning the one I sent. I cleaned mine before packing and he shows a photo of apparent blood on it.

Very disgusted with Ebay selling and with my account now negative with feedback I will probably close my account altogether. Apparently, my photo evidence does not count for anything ?

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Try contacting eBay again, but do so preferably first thing tomorrow morning whennthe lines first open at 8a.m.  there's more chance of Dublin answering, Select the Call Back option if available then you'll know if it's Dublin.

This time do not associate any blame on transport breaking the item or a swap being made,  hard to prove either, photos unfortunately could be taken of a different item to that sent,  this time,  draw attention to the fact the feedback broke feedback rules.

The feedback mentions a refund,  this is eBay intervention and breaks feedback rules,  so ask for this reason, can the feedback be removed.

To Contact Customer Services, I find the quickest way to contact them, either for a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back, to click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

@cragzuk 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Try contacting eBay again, but do so preferably first thing tomorrow morning whennthe lines first open at 8a.m.  there's more chance of Dublin answering, Select the Call Back option if available then you'll know if it's Dublin.

This time do not associate any blame on transport breaking the item or a swap being made,  hard to prove either, photos unfortunately could be taken of a different item to that sent,  this time,  draw attention to the fact the feedback broke feedback rules.

The feedback mentions a refund,  this is eBay intervention and breaks feedback rules,  so ask for this reason, can the feedback be removed.

To Contact Customer Services, I find the quickest way to contact them, either for a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back, to click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

@cragzuk 

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply. I did request a feedback revision, and he revised the feedback and was the same with extra info which is worse after this I did not get the option to challenge it a second time. Seems to me that Sellers dont get anywhere near the protection of buyers.

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Sometimes eBay Customer Services do not see the whole picture, and here they've missed the fact that the buyer had broken eBay feedback rules,  when these are broken, it's grounds for the feedback to be removed.

I would still try CS tomorrow,    don't mention anything about the item, just draw their attention to the fact their, eBay, rules have been broken , there's mention of a refund,  which constitutes removal of that feedback.

Worth another shot,  but as said I would talk only to Dublin.

Good Luck.

@cragzuk 

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

In addition to the above you need to mention to CS that the feedback is in breach of the Feedback misuse policy. The last sentence though in the feedback is the issue.

I must warn you though that whilst they may remove the feedback there is a possibility they could leave the defect on the account.

I have attached a link here for you have a read. Feedback misuse policy | Ebay 

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Hi and thanks again tressy. I contact support who quickly gave the link to the seller help/remove feedback form. So I will see how that goes. 

Appreciate your help with this and hope you have a great day!

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

That's good news, and you too Have a great Sunday !

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Hi, yes they left the negative rating but removed the feedback. Better than nothing I guess. thanks

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

now your only problem will be if the buyer reports the false positive you left them, that can damage your account.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

All buyers on eBay have 100% feedback.   Sellers cannot  leave -ve and it is against eBay rules to leave -ve comments [as you have done] on a +ve green spot.

@cragzuk 

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

At this point I am not bothered when buyers are disengenuous. I mean what else are you supposed to do ? I will not be accussed of sending damaged or filthy stuff when my photos show otherwise.

Complaining of a dirty screw or that a plastic products stinks when it has been in a box for years is bang out of order when buying second hand items.

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Your photos do not prove that you actually sent what was in the photographs.  They simply show something you took a photo of.

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Ebay returns are open to abuse.

Photo evidence is irrelevant as you could then have put in a different item in the package.

Ebay sales have UK distance laws applied to them meaning the buyer has lots of rights.

One of those is being able to return an item if not happy with it.

I once sold £50 worth of audio gear.

Buyer said he wasnt hapy with it so I asked him to return it.

He sent back a lump of wood with nails in it.

He got a refund, kept the £50 item and left a neg !

I contacted the police regarding wood with nails.

They went to see him and his wife said she sent it.

She got a caution and he got away with it.

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

@nigel_paul_wright7557 wrote:

I once sold £50 worth of audio gear.

Buyer said he wasnt hapy with it so I asked him to return it.

He sent back a lump of wood with nails in it.

He got a refund, kept the £50 item and left a neg !

I contacted the police regarding wood with nails.

They went to see him and his wife said she sent it.

She got a caution and he got away with it.

Surely the most dreadful story on here today, I cannot imagine how you felt after that experience.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

What is with the mentality on Ebay that every seller is dishonest. I'm not a business, just a hardcore gamer selling off my un-used bits n bobs at pretty cheap prices thinking I am doing people a favour for a little bit of spare change.

I have a Mobo-CPU for sale and interested people have asked for deals on just the mobo saying they have a damaged one. This has put me off selling anything else on here because I worry that person is going to try and say my Mobo was broken so he can return his broken one to me.

I mean, complaining of a streak of dust inside a non important area or a dirty screw on a USED item, C'mon!

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

I wouldn't worry too much about the bloke receiving the lump of wood with a nail in it.

It's a common urban myth, and like almost all urban myths, it didn't happen.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Acutally, I watch a popular Seller who has a youtube channel and this kind of thing has happened to him many times!

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Many people receive something which is not the item they sent out. It's almost always something worthless, and easily packed/sent. I'm willing to bet your youtube chum has never received a lump of wood with nails sticking out of it (although he may well be one of many who claim he has).

It is a common urban myth, which has been around for even longer than eBay has. Yes, in theory it COULD happen, but it makes no sense at all that it would, if you think about if for even a second. Why would anyone send something which would prompt further action?

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

@vinylscot wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the bloke receiving the lump of wood with a nail in it.

It's a common urban myth, and like almost all urban myths, it didn't happen.

Well the urban myth buried is in  @nigel_paul_wright7557 's feedback.

Screenshot_2024-03-12-20-08-23-884~2.jpeg

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Note, no mention of the nails! A piece of wood may have been the replacement for the item which should have been returned - it can be easily wrapped and has a certain weight to it. However,  nobody in their right mind would return a piece of wood with nails sticking out (which I'm sure he would have mentioned in the feedback, if it had really occurred). It simply didn't happen.

The member in question has simply embellished the situation to make it more interesting/abhorrent, and it has become his party piece. It doesn't make it true.

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: