Postage Packlink

In a bit of an odd situation. eBay listing only allowed a maximum of £9.50 custom delivery fee for an iPhone. This was fine of course as most couriers within the UK have similar rates for such items valued up to £1000. However, buyer after paying £500 for the iPhone itself and postage, opted for Evri Standard delivery. This unfortunately only covers up to £25 in compensation if the item is lost so this £3 option does not protect myself or the buyer if the item goes missing in transit. 

eBay suggest opting for Packlink to cover the full compensation totalling £30 (an additional £27). 

Why does eBay give me a limited custom delivery fee for a certain service, then expect me as the seller to pay a further £30 in fees. Should eBay not have this from the start as an option. They have already taken £67 in seller fees. I find it disgusting that they are looking for another £30 for postage. 

What is the best option from here as the buyer is not communicating

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Postage Packlink

It's a mistake to send it with evri as there's a good chance it wouldn't be covered anyway.

You need to send it by Royal Mail special delivery which costs £9.35 for 1kg parcel with up to £750 cover or £8.35 for a 500g parcel.

There's also the option of free collection from your address.

By the way it's a mistake to let eBay auto fill your listing postage.

You also don't need to buy postage from eBay you could buy direct from the courier or RM online.

If you are using a different courier than stated in your listing you should inform your buyer.

Screenshot_2024-05-05-19-52-58-862.jpeg

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Postage Packlink

Your listing only had Evri as postage so the buyer couldn't choose another carrier.

You should send the phone Royal Mail Special delivery and let the buyer know you are doing this to get full compensation cover,you wont be able to charge any more.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Postage Packlink

You are stuck with the postage cost you put on the listing for this sale. But, for the future, you should always work out the cost of postage and compensation before listing and choose an appropriate postage method.  Never rely on ebay to do this.

If ebay cap the postage you can charge you need to add the extra on the item price.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Postage Packlink

`However, buyer after paying £500 for the iPhone itself and postage, opted for Evri Standard delivery. This unfortunately only covers up to £25`

This is why i think it`s not a good idea to give buyers the option, because they will nearly always choose the cheapest option, which is what i do given the choice, because it`s the sellers job to cover him/herself for loss or damage, because it`s you that loses out if there`s an issue, not the buyer, they pay what`s in front of them and the rest is down to the seller, because the buyer can`t lose anything 🙂

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Postage Packlink

Special delivery is about £7 and offers £500 cover extended able to more for a few quid.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: