Funds on Hold... The Mystery Deepens...

sabe5994
Conversationalist

I posted recently regarding funds on hold and if anyone had any idea how long the hold would be. As always you lovely people that frequent the community boards were helpful in explaining that as a new seller I could be subject to these holds, which I think is fair and reasonable as far as security goes.

I had initially sold ten items, all were delivered and I was promptly paid my funds the next day after delivery for each of these. Then on the 11th to the 15th items I sold, a hold was put on them (a hold which is still in force and not going to be released for at least another week).  These 5 items are all marked as delivered, feedback has been left for some and no disputes have been raised.

...So I've just checked if any movement of funds has occured and noticed a payout due for tomorrow (Hooray! *I thought quietly to myself*). But this payout is from the last item I sold 3 days ago (the 16th item), not the 11th-15th items sold that are still holding on funds. And it hasn't even been delivered yet. I'm so confused 😅

Can anyone clarify what on earth is happening here?

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

If you are not getting your Payouts from funds on Hold in the correct date order, you need to ring eBay CS in the mornings to get through to Dublin so they can re-check their records & see why earlier funds on hold have not been paid yet.

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Could this just be an automatic thing because I'm new to selling (it's only a month since I first listed anything), but only applies to certain items? The thing with the holds I can definitely understand but the payout for the last item, not yet even delivered, seems very odd. Does this mean that I've been "okayed" by eBay as a seller so I can have funds from future sales, and those 5 are still just subject to the protocol of holding funds to new sellers? Or do you think it is possible a technical glitch has occured somewhere?

It all seems more complicated and random than I first thought it would be. But fun nonetheless.

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

I suggested you contact eBay CS to review their records to make you aware of how they are handling your funds payouts.  You mentioned different reasons it may be, but I do not know the exact reason.  

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Update: So it seems things are currently updating. The payments page now has more clarification on my holds..;

'Thank you for posting your order and uploading the tracking details. While we confirm the buyer does not have any issues with the order, your funds will remain on hold until 14 Aug.'

Still doesn't explain why I'm getting paid for the item I sold after those, but at least I understand a little better what is going on... (sort of 🤓).

eBay's system of notifying you/updating details seems to be so slow. 

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Contacting Customer Services was one of the first things I did, and was told very vaguely by an eBay agent that I might be subject to holds as a new seller. (Pretty much what the help page says so it wasn't very helpful). Coming here clarified a few more details a little better. Hopefully this info may be of use to other new confused sellers experiencing the same thing. 

If the payment doesn't release at the date they now have estimated I'll try CS again. I'm not too worried, just confused as to how eBay processes this stuff, as they didn't seem to know either. 

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Having the same battle with EBay sold an item on Thursday 3 aug, posted it within 1 hour of transaction,  changed item on eBay to despatched and added tracking code, the customer received it on Friday and left great feedback saying he was  very happy with purchase,

but I've been told that I won't get paid till the 18th aug,  

I wonder how much money  eBay  is holding back,  earning interest on other people's money,

I bet they took their fees out straight away!!

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Yes, it looks as though you are subject to the holds as you're new to selling like I am. It is strange though that they let my first 10 items go by this weird security feature. And then lifted it on the 16th item before it is even delivered (delivery is due tomorrow, a payment was recieved in my bank for it today).  

Looking at your profile it says you've only sold one item though. Is that correct?

It seems 2 weeks is the average hold for a new seller if our experience is anything to go by.

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

eBay's 'Guideline & Policies for the New and Infrequent Sellers selling on eBay' explains that funds will be on hold with eBay's Managed Payments for approx. 30 days, so eBay can access how the seller handles their sales.   This happens until the ''Seller Ratings are approx. 10 Positive Feedbacks then a Payout Schedule can be set up by the Seller.

New Sellers must read the T & C's before selling.

🐾

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

I already have a payout schedule set up, from the beginning of my sales (until the holds from the 10th-15th items) it was paying out on delivery confirmation, and into my bank as checked in the schedule I chose. 

(Seems like I must've slipped through the net on that one - lucky me.)

The ten feedbacks thing is killing me 😅 I've had 9 for days so I'm just waiting for this 16th item to be delivered tomorrow hoping the buyer is a feedback leaver 🤞

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

sabe5994
Conversationalist

So the ten feedbacks thing kicked in but this didn't seem to affect the funds on hold at the time. 

However, some movement has occured today. The 11th item which had around a fortnight of holding time and a release date of the 12th has just become available today (the 11th). All items sold after the 5 on hold have been paid out within a few days with no trouble. 

So it does seem that those funds on hold are now being payed out in order of being on hold. The other 4 are dated the 13th, 14th, and 15th for the release of funds, so; if all goes well with these, by this time next week I should hopefully be on a regular payout schedule. 

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Exactly I have just experienced the exact same thing. Won't be selling anything on eBay again now. Imagine if you sell something for a lot of money???? And then they sit on your money for as long as they feel like. *bleep* are they playing at, they must be earning hundreds of thousands in people's interest. Not on not on at all what need to change this ASAP

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

You are a new or infrequent seller which is why you are subject to the payment hold

This link gives you info on the payment holds applied to new or infrequent seller accounts 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

Did you get paid in the end?

I'm in the exact same situation. Sold a few items over the course of a number of months. Suddenly I'm subject to new seller holds. 

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of what happened. It's very helpful for everyone who's subject to this. So much conflicting info and to many long time sellers who've never been subject to holds telling me to read small print.. It's nice to actually read what happens stage by stage. 

No idea why they allowed us both to build seller rating and then slap us with holds. Seems odd. Holds are completely unnecessary if you already have a track record of delivering a great eBay experience for buyers. 

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: